Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Mercule

Adventurer
It's good, but Xanathar's Guide blows that out of the water. I *love* that cover. Look at that smile! He's the happiest beholder I've ever seen.
It's all aesthetics, so I'm not going to knock your preference. I'll just say that I hated the Xanathar's cover, especially the special edition. Not having to look at the cover was one of the biggest factors in pushing me to buy the DDB version instead of the physical book. Of course, I also think beholders are a lame monster and the name "Xanathar" sounds like a nine-year-old making up names for his stuffed poop emoji, so there were really no variations on that book that would have been even acceptable, let alone awesome, to me.

MechaPilot

Explorer
It's all aesthetics, so I'm not going to knock your preference. I'll just say that I hated the Xanathar's cover, especially the special edition.

I've hated all the special edition covers for 5e. Which is fine by me. Saves me money. If the 5e covers had been reversed (the special edition ones were the normal covers and the normal covers were the special editions) I'd be trying to get all special edition books just to avoid the ugly covers. I'd rather have the non-descript faux leather with gilt embossing of the AD&D 2e supplements than 5e's special edition covers.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's all aesthetics, so I'm not going to knock your preference. I'll just say that I hated the Xanathar's cover, especially the special edition.

Of course, taste can vary - and to be honest, the special edition didn't do much for me - it din't have that radiant smile :D

Chronos96

Explorer
Personally, I wouldn't mind if they released Kara-Tur yeah it's the realms but what are Asian inspired Drow like etc. The other continents have almost always felt like an afterthought and while I'm sure there are articles and maybe a few supplemets for Kara-Tur I think it would be cool to flesh it out.

Tiles

Explorer
I feel like the feywild has been consistently supported and is ripe for the picking. Not so much some of the others. Just my fleeting thought. I’d love to say the same for a manual of the planes but that support feels only resent?

Last edited by a moderator:

MechaPilot

Explorer
Of course, I also think beholders are a lame monster and the name "Xanathar" sounds like a nine-year-old making up names for his stuffed poop emoji, so there were really no variations on that book that would have been even acceptable, let alone awesome, to me.

I think that's because of the pattern the name follows: consonant, "a," consonant, "a," consonant digraph, "a," consonant. It's like the name Banana, the repetition makes it feel fake.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases