D&D 5E Beadle & Grimm's Waterdeep: Dragon Heist - Platinum Edition

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I think its too much for something that doesnt even have pictures of what the content is. Blind Box for $500?

I barely want to buy one for $50

guachi

Hero
I asked for something very much like this. A premium product is a fantastic way to get a one-stop-shop of items for a new adventure. But $450 isn't reasonable.

A boxed set with multiple softcover books, miniatures, maps, handouts, counters/chits is worth it if it's priced like that of a premium board game. I think that puts the price more at $150 or maybe even $200 if the material quality is high enough.

Staffan

Legend
I agree that $450 is a ridiculous price point. Depending on what's in it, it might have value for the money (for example, if the miniatures are metal instead of plastic, that's about $150-200 of minis), but dropping half a grand on something sight unseen? Not unless I suddenly become rich enough that I wouldn't notice the loss of $450.

I mean, the most I've paid for a single RPG product was $200 (+shipping) for TORG Eternity, and that was a HUGE box, with three hardback books (rule book + two adventure compilations), a GM screen, a poster map, a bunch of cardboard tokens, specialty dice, specialty poker chips, almost 200 cards, eight "table tents", a pad of character sheets, a CD with a soundtrack for the game, as well as PDFs of all of the above + all the stuff for old-school TORG. But that was for a product I knew I'd love, and where the producers had plenty of previews along the way showing what was in it.

But for Dragon Heist Platinum, the price point is twice that, and the company in question are essentially saying "Trust us, it will be full of awesome stuff that we can't show until it's released and by then it will be too late." That's not good enough.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
The pricetag doesn't put me off, but this company appears to not want my money. Their online order form has no country options other than "United States" and they don't seem to answer mail generated by their own contact form. Neither of those things is a good sign :(.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Same issue here, no response a week later from my attempt at the contact form.

I do like the option of the book broken out in section for use in game without have the entire book on the table and I've never been rough with bending the spine or wearing it out. Guess I got that habit from my early comic, graphic novels and novel days :)

I'm hoping for some cool stuff in it but mentally ready for anything! Once it comes out I'll know if I'm in for the next box. Apparently Mathew Lilliard is part owner or something. Not that that means anything other than him wanting cool stuff included might get some artistic push for things.

I'd be curious if they sell all 1000 platinum boxes. I'm guessing they either do or hit 600-700 presold.

It’s a neat idea. Specialty boxes for adventures, with all the battlemaps, handouts, and props you need.

I played using the collector’s edition of Rise of the Runelords, which had all the handouts done. And I spent a LOT of money to get the maps printed as posters and get a case of the minis. And it does help the experience.
But that was 1-18 in Pathfinder. This is 1-5. There isn’t much content...

An interview with Matthew Lillard about gaming and Beadle & Grimm's:

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/matthe...agons-for-30-years-and-has-his-own-dd-company

I just want to point out a particular section:

"We're talking about doing a gold set, we're talking about doing a silver set, so even if you don't necessarily have the $500 version of it, the $200 version of it (or whatever) will be great! We don't really know what the other versions are yet, which is a mistake on our part, but we're working towards figuring that out.

We're definitely experiencing some blowback on the price, but everything we have in the box - everything we're delivering and the way the game is played - we think we're going to exceed what people expect."

They created a tiered product without defining what all the other tiers would be. Yikes.

jgsugden

Legend
They're selling to an incredibly small market at those prices. If I buy a $40 adventure, I don't want to spend more than $20 for augmenting items - and then only if they really make a difference. I might buy a pack of minis that are $40 if they augment my collection with new useful stuff... I might buy some terrain (like Dwarven Forge) designed to suit the adventure if it is ~$2 per piece - if I'd get use of it elsewhere... but anything that is really a one use thing needs to be cheap.

They're going to 'market' with unfinished materials and undefined products. Not a good plan.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
This is a frustrating company. I'm definitely their target market for this product. I have enough disposal income to be able to buy this plus the low Wisdom save associated with the "D&D collector" background. But I have now twice attempted to contact these guys (via their own contact form) to enquire about international shipping. The first time, I got no response at all. The second time, I also got no response but they subscribed me to their newletter. So the only change is that I will now get news about future products that they appear to be unwilling to sell to me.

You'd think that the smaller your audience is for a premium product, the better you need to be at dealing with communications from potential customers. I'm a guaranteed customer if they are will to take my money, but just trying to get in touch with them seems to be impossible.

This is a frustrating company. I'm definitely their target market for this product. I have enough disposal income to be able to buy this plus the low Wisdom save associated with the "D&D collector" background. But I have now twice attempted to contact these guys (via their own contact form) to enquire about international shipping. The first time, I got no response at all. The second time, I also got no response but they subscribed me to their newletter. So the only change is that I will now get news about future products that they appear to be unwilling to sell to me.

You'd think that the smaller your audience is for a premium product, the better you need to be at dealing with communications from potential customers. I'm a guaranteed customer if they are will to take my money, but just trying to get in touch with them seems to be impossible.

Matthew Lillard said they had solved the International shipping issue in one of the threads on Reddit where people were talking about this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/8o9m7l/beadle_and_grimms_is_a_scam/

[–]jonbly 1 point 17 days ago
> They also don't tell you how large their platinum edition print run is.

Matthew Lillard (Beadle) mentioned a run of 1000 during SoME - that would be at the end of the Adventure Impractical session. Which feels a bit big for the price point (which really requires some rarity value, I think).

Luckily I'm protected from this temptation by the Atlantic Ocean - their system only allows for US shipping at present.

permalinkembedsavereportgive goldreply

[–]matthewlillard 1 point 16 days ago
nobody is safe.

(we can ship overseas. That has been figured out)

Remove ads