What are you Reading? June 2018 edition

Totally forgot to make a new thread! Shameful!

Crossroads of Twilight, the tenth Wheel of Time book, is done. And one thing happened in the entire book that moved the plot along. Everything else was just moving chess pieces around the board to make it look like stuff was happening. Frustrating. Still I go onto the next book soon.

But in-between, for the hour or two it’ll take me to read it, is an awful tale of a different sort. The Eye of Argon: The Scholar’s eBook edition.

Janx

Hero
Now it's June. Still reading Gail Carriger's finishing school collection, as it was May a moment ago and I've not had bed-time readies yet.

checked out both Brief Cases ( I'm more excited by Molly's story than the others) by Jim Butcher and The President is Missing a collaboration between James Peterson and former President Bill Clinton.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm reading the Dreamblood Duology by NK. Jemisin. Hard to tell, I feel I'm nearing the end of the first book (The Killing Moon).

I am enjoying the book, and I am definitely enjoying non-faux-European fantasy. It's quite good, but it isn't hitting the threshold of fantastic that The Fifth Season instilled. I think it may be the more traditional storyteller's voice she's using -- it's good, but not as groundbreaking. (Heh, a Fifth Season joke if you've read it, that the narrator is groundbreaking.)

Richards

Legend
I just started Companions Codex I: Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore, the first in a trilogy of Drizzt Do'Urden novels that I had lost track of and I recently managed to pick up the whole series in hardback for a buck each at a library book sale. Better yet, the story picks up immediately after the events of the last book I read, The Companions, which was book 1 in a six-book set where books 2-6 apparently had nothing to do with the events of book 1. (Saved some money there!)

Johnathan

carrot

Explorer
Totally forgot to make a new thread! Shameful!

Crossroads of Twilight, the tenth Wheel of Time book, is done. And one thing happened in the entire book that moved the plot along. Everything else was just moving chess pieces around the board to make it look like stuff was happening. Frustrating. Still I go onto the next book soon.

That was such a dreadful book. Nothing happens of note until the last chapter... Fortunately the next one is more interesting.

Currently reading The Superpowereds:year 3 by Drew Hayes. It's not great literature, but for some reason I'm finding it hard to put down!

isidorus

Explorer
Supporter
Fiction

Finishing David Eddings Enchanters endgame

Next up is The Blade Itself (The First Law Trilogy) Joe Abercrombie

Continuing the following

The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing (working through a story to figure what doesn't work)

Anthony Beevor The Second World War

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Book 11 is definitely better, I think Robert Jordan's declining health may have imparted a sense of urgency.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. So far its gots my attention as there seems to be a lot going on.

I'm also reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It is about how the West came to have all those goodies that helped it take over the world. And, spoiler, it ain't racial superiority. It's luck with the right terrain and climate and fauna and flora...

Remove ads