What are you Reading? June 2018 edition

I really enjoyed the first in that series, and need to get to the second. The magic system and worldbuilding are glorious. But yes, it isn’t quite as jaw-dropping awesome as the Inheritance Trilogy.

I'm reading the Dreamblood Duology by NK. Jemisin. Hard to tell, I feel I'm nearing the end of the first book (The Killing Moon).

I am enjoying the book, and I am definitely enjoying non-faux-European fantasy. It's quite good, but it isn't hitting the threshold of fantastic that The Fifth Season instilled. I think it may be the more traditional storyteller's voice she's using -- it's good, but not as groundbreaking. (Heh, a Fifth Season joke if you've read it, that the narrator is groundbreaking.)

delericho

Legend
I'm just finishing up "Norse Mythology" by Gaiman, which is okay but definitely not his best work. Next up will be "The Magic Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton (best not ask), and then after that "The Bridge" by Iain Banks.

I've also finally received my copy of "Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes", so that will be early on the list for next month.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just finished Night Watch by Sir Terry Pratchett. I've always liked Vimes, how can you go wrong with Fifth Elephant or any of the other stories highlighting him and the Night Watch? This one I especially enjoyed. Just who is Sam Vimes when he's free of any external expectations about who he is. (Well, perhaps except from some external pressures from himself, which is a sentence that will probably only make sense if you've read the book.)

Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

The Night Watch subseries of Discworld is my favorite, with the Fifth Elephant being tops in my book. There's something about the cast of characters and how they interact with each other and the rest of the city that hits the spot. Though, the Tiffany Aching subseries comes close, and at times is far deeper.

Just finished Night Watch by Sir Terry Pratchett. I've always liked Vimes, how can you go wrong with Fifth Elephant or any of the other stories highlighting him and the Night Watch? This one I especially enjoyed.

Blue

The Night Watch subseries of Discworld is my favorite, with the Fifth Elephant being tops in my book. There's something about the cast of characters and how they interact with each other and the rest of the city that hits the spot.

Well, I just read Thud! for more Vimes action, and then picked up Monsterous Regiment, which has some Vimes in it.

Though, the Tiffany Aching subseries comes close, and at times is far deeper.

I haven't read any of those yet. With them being listed as YA I had picked others first. I've got Going Postal and Making Money on deck. We seem to have similar tastes, so I'll ignore the YA part and pick one up.

They’re beautiful and deep and funny, everything a proper Discworld book should be. You might want to read one or two of the Witches sub-series first, if you haven’t done so already, as some of the characters do show up. But not doing so wouldn’t spoil anything, and I think you could get the context of people like Granny Weatherwax without.

I haven't read any of those yet. With them being listed as YA I had picked others first. I've got Going Postal and Making Money on deck. We seem to have similar tastes, so I'll ignore the YA part and pick one up.

Blue

They’re beautiful and deep and funny, everything a proper Discworld book should be. You might want to read one or two of the Witches sub-series first, if you haven’t done so already, as some of the characters do show up. But not doing so wouldn’t spoil anything, and I think you could get the context of people like Granny Weatherwax without.

Would Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum be enough of the witches to get the context? :)

Do love them witches.

Blue

Just finished Monstrous Regiment. Left me interested in seeing more Polly Perks stories after the character growth during the book.

Started Going Postal, and I've heard a lot of comments in the past about enjoying the main character so I'm happy to finally be getting to him.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases