Homebrew Mythological Figures: Perseus (5E) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by maceochaid View Post
    ANYWHO, if anyone is in charge of a journal for stop motion film studies, I'd be happy to send you an abstract
    for your consideration for publication.
    If you are serious and have a full academic paper, send it here.
    XP maceochaid, Mike Myler gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by maceochaid View Post
    Well neither were the Greeks re: faithful to their subject matter. I feel canon is definitely a Judeo-Christian concept because of the single book.
    You clearly haven't noticed that there are four gospels, not one (not to mention the non-canonicals), or that Genesis has two different Creation stories in the first two chapters. Canon means recognized as divinely inspired, not that they all agree in all (or any minor) respects (e.g., the genealogy of Jesus before Joseph).

Of course, in the case of Perseus, he was several generations before Herakles, who was a generation or so before the Trojan War, who was one collapse of civilization and several centuries before Homer or Hesiod, who were centuries before their stories were set down in writing, and poets felt that they had a right to compose new stories for centuries thereafter. Perhaps 1200 years between the Perseus incident and the writing of the latest story that I know, the Argonautica. Surely long enough for multiple versions to arise :-) .

Quote Originally Posted by David Weihe View Post
    You clearly haven't noticed that there are four gospels, not one (not to mention the non-canonicals), or that Genesis has two different Creation stories in the first two chapters. Canon means recognized as divinely inspired, not that they all agree in all (or any minor) respects (e.g., the genealogy of Jesus before Joseph).

Of course, in the case of Perseus, he was several generations before Herakles, who was a generation or so before the Trojan War, who was one collapse of civilization and several centuries before Homer or Hesiod, who were centuries before their stories were set down in writing, and poets felt that they had a right to compose new stories for centuries thereafter. Perhaps 1200 years between the Perseus incident and the writing of the latest story that I know, the Argonautica. Surely long enough for multiple versions to arise :-) .
    I actually HAVE noticed that! At one point however they started calling four gospels (and even a few letters from the early church fathers as well as a number of Jewish scriptures) "the Bible" (greek for BOOK!) it's available in many bookstores. There are some scholars, and I include myself among them, who put forward the belief, that this Bible has had a large role to play in the development of Christianity, and one of the core interests in Christianity is interpreting this book as a sort of . . . truth, and try to interpret it as if it is a cohesive whole. Thank you for making your point though.

The authors of the Perseus myth seem to fundamentally be less concerned with the story as truth, like the synod of Christianity. Many of the sources potentially just as concerned with entertainment, or ritual, or mythic history of ancestors, few with actual historical accuracy though.
    Last edited by maceochaid; Thursday, 16th August, 2018 at 04:38 PM.