PF2 So how about that PF2 Barbarian?

So how about that PF2 Barbarian?

A little late, I know, but I had been hoping someone else would start a thread about it first.

So, the PF2 Barbarian looks awesome. I love that Rage is tied to a fatigue mechanic instead of an arbitrarily limited duration and/or number of uses. The short duration is something I wouldnít have thought of, but I actually really like. It feels more like an angry outburst instead of a full-on Berzerker battle trance. And I really like the sort of cyclical nature of it, where the Barbarianís performance spikes for a few turns, then dips for a turn, then spikes again. Works nicely with the temp HP you get at the start of the rage, giving you like a little overshield that recovers once every cycle. I like that MC Barbarians who have spells can cast them in rage as long as they donít require concentrate actions.

Totems are really neat, although based on the description I wonder if there might not be a better term for them. I once played a barbarian in a Conan-like setting who was supposed to be afraid of magic, but it never felt relevant, and ultimately that part of the characterís personality ended up getting discarded. I would have loved something like the Superstition Totem, where she could have got powerful anti-magic abilities as long as she refused to let her spellcasting allies cast buff spells on her. And I love that animal totems sound like they eventually allow the Barbarian to turn into the animal. Iíve toyed around with MC Barbarian/Druids to get that effect, but it never felt satisfying. This seems to resolve that issue. And the Rage totem is a smart way to give players who just want to play a straightforward angry beat stick without Anathema or magical abilities.

Seeing Amiri with a bow really excites me. Iíve long wanted to make a bow-wielding Barbarian, but it has always felt super janky. Hereís hoping this is a sign it will be a viable option in 2e. Also, in the comments it came up that her Giant Totem is what allows her to wield oversized weapons. That also sounds super fun.

Dusty Dragon COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

Ý Block Ancalagon

Ý Friend+
    The cycles of rage is an intriguing proposal
    Fear not the slugman

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ý Block Shasarak

Ý Friend+
    I wonder how the temporary hit points will match up to the Fighters Shield ability. I guess it will depend how long the fight goes and how many shields the Fighter has.

Still I have a soft spot for my Pouncing Barbarian so it will be interesting to see if that translates to PF2.

I like the totems. It gives them a nice niche beyond "angry fighter", and it's the first time I ever wanted to play barbarian.

Both the dragon and the anti-magic ones.

Quick Reply Quick Reply