D&D 5E Z's Multi classing Thoughts

Zardnaar

Legend
For the Ranger 5/Rogue x combination:

Two Ranger archetypes jn XGTE offer comparable benefits up to level 5:

Horizon Walker makes all damage from a sneak attack become Force damage, with +1d8. It uses up a Bonus Action (generally bad for Rogues; and needs to be within 30'), but only for the first round the creature is attacked.

Monster Slayer adds +1d6, and also uses up a bonus action for the first round, but does so at a range of 60'.

Both are comparable, and don't require the target already to be injured, which is the case with Hunter (Colossus Slayer).

I prefer horde breaker over colossus slaer. A Ranger/Rogue should probably dual wield.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Fair enough -- Horde breaker requires a second opponent (which allows for a less direct comparison).

HW still worth considering, I feel.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fair enough -- Horde breaker requires a second opponent (which allows for a less direct comparison).

HW still worth considering, I feel.

2nd opponent seems to fire a lot, maybe every 2nd or 3rd round.

I changed my mind when I had a player dual wield ranger wih hordebreaker and tempest archetype from EN5ider.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I am just curious, because I have seen this a couple of times already but why does shield per RAW require Warcaster? I do not seem to see it/what am I missing?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
You need a free hand to be able to cast a spell requiring somatic components. If you have a sword and shield, you don't have a free hand. War Caster gets around that.

Remove ads