Balancing D&D

Zardnaar

Legend
If you eliminate the -5/+10 part of GWM you should also change the name of the feat as now the feat is just as good with any melee weapon.

Maybe call it Melee Weapon Master or Cleave or something.

Cleave would work but I would not have the feat work with light and finesse weapons. The good melee feats are strength based I think because dex is so good. With GWM they over compensated IMHO.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I know you don't want a featless game, but have you considered disallowing multiclassing? Or some rule to restrain "dipping"?

Zardnaar

Legend
If you review the different optimizing guides you find 5 main tools : SS, GWM, Sorcerers twin and quicken, Warlock agonizing blast, and Paladin smite.

Simple solution nerf them all!

Remove the -5/+10 for an ability increase.
Disallow MC with other caster classes for paladin, sorcerer and warlock.

Some of those guides were ported over from the WoTC boards when they shut down and some of the info in them dates from 2014.

Most of the worst combos were spotted in the 1st month or 2 5E was out (GWM+PAM, SS+ CE). Some of the more subtle ones took an extra month or two.

You don't see the Polearm Master+ warcaster + bladelock+ EB combo being mentioned much anymore maybe they errated it IDK. It was another very early combo spotted. Basically whenever someone came within 10' of you you got to use EB on them (perhaps with repelling blast). The 2 level warlock dip was spotted very early as well.

Last edited:

AriochQ

Adventurer
The biggest issue is the -5/+10 mechanic. As others have said, swapping that out for a ASI of +1 solves many of the problems.

I disagree that there needs to be a change to bring wizards on par with sorcerers. I play both classes in Adventurer's League play, and I am more than willing to give up some DPS on my wizard for the increased utility. The two are balanced well IMHO. If anything, I feel the Sorcerer is the weaker class (but that could be biased based on my play style. I favor 'control' over 'dps' when playing arcane casters).

Eldritch Blast can do some good DPS, but I think the push effect is actually the more overpowering factor. The ability to move opponents so easily can be used to great advantage in many battles. There are some other abilities that allow players to move opponents, but none so easily accomplished as EB.

Coroc

Hero
Yep i think the fighter Needs a 8d6 sweep attack in a 10ft radius, to compensate for the wizards FIREBALL no?

How about getting a deathstrike feat at 18th Level, everything single target below 120HP is killed automatically, no attack roll needed no save?

Or let us say whenever a single class fighter picks up a weapon it is automatically considered Magic, to be on par with cantrips of casters able to attack creatures resistant to non Magic weapons?

Zardnaar

Legend
Yep i think the fighter Needs a 8d6 sweep attack in a 10ft radius, to compensate for the wizards FIREBALL no?

How about getting a deathstrike feat at 18th Level, everything single target below 120HP is killed automatically, no attack roll needed no save?

Or let us say whenever a single class fighter picks up a weapon it is automatically considered Magic, to be on par with cantrips of casters able to attack creatures resistant to non Magic weapons?

Arcane archer can more or less do that.

If you focus on balance to much you get a very boring game. I am fine with trade offs such as a sword and board vs two handed weapon. Without feats the damage is often very close (look at Monk vs Fighter for example of the combat styles on the Fighter/Ranger/Paladin). Sure some classes do more in nova strikes (Paladins, Invokers etc) or situational (hunter rangers) and that is also fine. Trading damage for utility is also fine (Champion vs Eldritch Knight)

Its when things get to far out of whack there is a problem. I think the -5/+10 feats are to far out of whack, bonus action attacks are slightly to good IMHO but not outright broken.

Coroc

Hero
I think -5 /+10 breaks nothing because of -5 and it costs 1 ASI no Need to Balance it out anyhow it is subjective and depends on several outer factors like :

-Mob you fight
-Party composition
-Party tactics

etc.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think -5 /+10 breaks nothing because of -5 and it costs 1 ASI no Need to Balance it out anyhow it is subjective and depends on several outer factors like :

-Mob you fight
-Party composition
-Party tactics

etc.

The average AC in the MM is 14.5 apparently to put it into context. By level 8 you can have 20 dex throw in archerty style and its more or less -1/+10 damage vs ACs similar to what you were facing when you were level 1. I have seen mid level fighters using the -5/+10 feats connect with 7 attacks for 1d6+17 damage level 11 vs AC 20. An adventure had a +2 handcrossbow in it. The dumb bastard with a rapier was dealing 1d8+7 (or 9 with a +2 rapier) and they could action surge for 6 attacks.

The -5/+10 feats pick up a lot of gas at higher levels ue to more things becoming available for example greater invisibility put on a PC with -5/10 feat. By the mid levels with 2 primary casters you can easily keep the archer or whatever buffed every fight even with simple spells like aid or with level 4 and 5 spellslots.

Last edited:

Assumption: Martial characters are primarily defined by their damage output.

I don't accept the validity of this assumption. The primary role of martial characters is to protect the party. Thus they are primarily defined by their ability to not die and to divert attention form the spellcasters.

If anything, the damage output of martial characters in 5e needs a major nerf.

Remove ads