Balancing D&D

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'll say this, learning about how Zapp's games run is a fascinating glimpse into a totally alien style of play....
Fortunately it's a style of play the majority of gamers don't actually experience in the real world.

While he doesn't describe my table, I have seen plenty of it, especially at the AL games at my FLGS.

We shouldn't try to be gatekeepers, dismissing other's style or games as not part of regular play.

Blue

This does seem to be a near manic infatuation with DPS, which is much more common in MMO's than TTRPG's.

Truthfully, as a DM, if you aren't able to balance a munchkinfied min/max build, then maybe someone else should DM? As DM's we have a wide variety of tools available to us (unlike MMO's which generally have zero tools beyond the dreaded patch update).

Because a DM balancing a min/max build without overwhelming the players with regular builds is actually a real challenge. If I was going to be snarky, I would make a comment along the lines of "if a DM doesn't know that, then maybe someone else should DM" - really it's easy to adjust your challenges to a group that on even keel, be it all min/maxed or all median, or all suboptimal. The game though doesn't give a lot of mechanical tools when you've got a mix though.

At that point, often the best solution is not trying to assert your game mastery or unlimited cupboard of monsters over a character, but rather a mature conversation with the player.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
While he doesn't describe my table, I have seen plenty of it, especially at the AL games at my FLGS.

We shouldn't try to be gatekeepers, dismissing other's style or games as not part of regular play.
<nod>

Plus, reading CZ's other thread about running an encounter based on Tomb of Annihilation, I don't see anything there that's some degenerate D&D situation. It looks like he's running a WotC published module mostly straight, with some tuning up of difficulty based on the number of PCs and their overall capability, and an acknowledgement that a capable party needs the screws really tightened in order to challenge them.

Blue

Why do I get the feeling that before he sits down to play chess CapnZapp removes all the knights, bishops, rooks and queens.

It's amusing, but as an analogy misses the point. All of the pieces of a color are controlled by the same player - they are more like class features, not individual characters. The two players are balanced in features - the primary difference at the state of the game is who has initiative. :)

GameOgre

Adventurer
Why do I get the feeling that before he sits down to play chess CapnZapp removes all the knights, bishops, rooks and queens.

Well it's really like he sat down at the table to play a game of Chess where the house rules made sure its a challenge to play the game but forgot that one side only had pawns and so Zapp is trying to introduce the missing pieces.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well it's really like he sat down at the table to play a game of Chess where the house rules made sure its a challenge to play the game but forgot that one side only had pawns and so Zapp is trying to introduce the missing pieces.

Actually, if you go by his description of high level play from a while back, when he sits down to play chess, every piece does the same thing. Just charge forward regardless of what's going on in the game, and see which piece breaks first. ;)

Satyrn

First Post
Absolutely. Must remove all overpowered pieces. Kings and pawns are perfectly balanced and all you need. Except maybe the king, what's up with that "any direction" cheese?

And En Passant. It's too situational, it hardly ever comes up.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

Yep. I like reading Cap's attempts to make the game work for his table. I don't get why people who are apparently bored or upset by this come in to say they are tired of this or upset. Just stay out of his threads would be easier I think. I was to a lesser degree trying to make 5e work and I didn't find a way and just switched to a different system. Hopefully Cap has better luck and maxes the fun at his table.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I like reading Cap's attempts to make the game work for his table,,, I was to a lesser degree trying to make 5e work and I didn't find a way and just switched to a different system. Hopefully Cap has better luck and maxes the fun at his table.
Really, which of the many systems out there did you switch to?
Did you have to switch players, as well? ;)

Remove ads