Best Class for a solo player campaign

just__al

First Post
We were talking about what character would be best for a solo player campaign.

I would think a cleric probably with the magic domain would be the best choice.

You can cast spells in armor
You aren't the worst combatant
You can heal yourself
With the right spells (Detect traps, silence) you can almost function as a rogue.

What would you play?

Last edited:

Seule

Explorer
I'd strongly consider Monk. You have a range of special abilities including stealth and combat, and at mid to high levels you can heal yourself. You also function well without any equipment, opening up a lot of interesting plot possibilities. Most parties stripped of their gear are screwed so itb rarely happens, but a monk functions just fine.

--Seule

Bauglir

First Post
Easy, rogue.

You can manipulate people, gather information and generally be a master of intrigue.
You can find and disable traps.
You can sneak about and choose your battles.

You'd need to carry an unsually high stock of potions and the like, to compensate for the lack of spellcasting. (I'd say UMD is your friend here but I've always found the DCs for UMD to be far too high for it to be useful..)

By far the most self sufficient class IMHO

bensei

First Post
The Bard, of course. No doubt.

He is good at everything non-combat, and if threatened by stronger foes, he can either talk his way out or use his magic to flee.

bensei said:
The Bard, of course. No doubt.

He is good at everything non-combat, and if threatened by stronger foes, he can either talk his way out or use his magic to flee.
I have to second the bard.
Magic for healing and offense, tons of skills, and can hold his own in a combat for a short time.

Shallown

First Post
Unfortunately I think that depends on the campaign way to much to offer an opinion so I will break it up according to campaigns.

City - Rogue of course but a Bard or Urban ranger would be cool as well.

Dungeon - Cleric the have the spells, healing, fighting and flexibility to survive. Monk and Bard making a close second for about the same reasons.

Wilderness - Druid and ranger are sort of tied in by book. The barbarian makes a close second. (subset of sea adventures would be Rogue or Bard)

Political - Bard easily then probably Rogue or cleric for second.

Military - Fighter about the only way I would choose a fighter. They are party essentials but weak alone unless it is just straight up fighting and few "fantasical/Magical" Challenges. With a rnager/Rogue scout as second place

I think that would cover most the bases that could be done well with a solo campaign.

Lots of luck

later

Remove ads