Best Class for a solo player campaign

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Why the Bard, Cleric and Rogue are NOT the best solo classes -- their powers work best with others.

- Rogue: Sneak Attack relies heavily on Flanking or Invisibilty after the surprise round (can't do those things by themselves). Can't heal, can't do magic (except through Use Magic Device).

- Cleric: Most powerful spells are buffs. Between the low skill points and low mobility, a targeted Dispel Magic will negate his only trick.

- Bard: Better -- good skills, less limited spell list which can be focused on offense or self-defense. In a city, very decent solo PC. Outside a city, lameness ensues.

In comparison:

- Ranger: stealthy fighter in city or wilderness. Gains bonuses to damage, detection and social skills vs. specific races -- don't overlook the Bluff and Sense Motive aspect of Favored Enemies. Also, he's a spellcaster with a decent list, if a very limited number of spells per day.

- Druid: like Ranger, can live in the wild. Low requirement for equipment, but can make use of some. Great spell selection including self-buff, direct damage, disabling, healing and utility spells -- and with the exception of healing, earlier access to those spells. Also, comes with a little friend who can fill in the Druid's main weakness -- melee strength.

-- N

ForceUser

Explorer
For a solo campaign, bard, cleric, druid, monk and rogue are all good choices. Barbarian, fighter, ranger, sorcerer, wizard are poor choices. Paladin is a toss-up; depends on the campaign.

Norfleet

First Post
I tend to pad the solo player with a number of redshirt NPCs. Otherwise, it becomes a real pain in the ass to assess ad-hoc XP using the Other CR: Casualty Ratios.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
If the campaign is combat-oriented, then a character who can heal himself would probably very useful, starting with clerics, druids, and paladins, and progressing to rangers and bards.

But really, any class can be viable in a solo campaign - as long as the DM is up to the task. After all, the DM has to present challenges that are apporpriate for the party - and he can't just throw the same challenges at a single PCs that he throws at a group of four or more PCs. Each class has specific strengths and weaknesses - and the DM has to take these into account.

A solo campaign for a cleric will look different than one for a wizard, which will in turn be different from one for a rogue or paladin...

So just make up a character you find interesting, and trust the DM to create appropriate challenges!

I am currently playing in a solo campaign as that wasn`t solo for 2 years. But I think it is diffrent at epic levels, my 25th level lich wizard/Shadow Adept is very versatile, having many resources and allies(but so have his enemies).

Zappo

Explorer
Cleric; it has superior spellcasting abilities including the best healing and can fight effectively.

Alternatively, I think a Forsaker could work. Maybe give him decent INT and get some skills, too.

seasong

First Post
Needs for a solo game are different from needs for a group game. For one thing, whatever class you pick, the GM will be setting CR against your character, not against "a generic group of one".

Personally, I would play a wizard. Mercenaries are surprisingly cheap for purposes of one or two day jobs, and dungeon plunder more than pays for them.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Pretty much any multi-class combination would be good too.

To follow on from Seasongs point: is your DM going to be crafting adventures specially for you, or is he going to be taking published adventures and running you through them?

If the former you can probably pick any character class and have fun. If the latter then a more generalist class (or multiclass) would probably suit you better.

Cheers

Remove ads