Everybody Cheats? - Page 34
Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Heck pcs having standard hps are the norm in 5e.

And, Rand hps for monsters so I can fudge is a pretty weak argument from my POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    Heck pcs having standard hps are the norm in 5e.

And, Rand hps for monsters so I can fudge is a pretty weak argument from my POV.
    Standard hit points are not the norm. You can take it or roll, your choice. It's not even presented as an optional rule. It's baked in that you can roll, so rolling for hit points is as much the norm as just taking the average.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxperson View Post
    Standard hit points are not the norm. You can take it or roll, your choice. It's not even presented as an optional rule. It's baked in that you can roll, so rolling for hit points is as much the norm as just taking the average.
    Sorry, I misspoke. Standard HP/level are a norm, not the norm. The other option is, of course, rolling.

It's been so long since I actually rolled HP's, that I honestly forgot that some people still do this. Good grief, it's been almost ten years now for me. 4e and then 5e. Heck, even in 3e we typically took standard HP values.

Kinda like die rolling characters. Again, it's been so long since I've done that, I've kinda forgot that it's a thing that people do.

I wonder if there's any sort of correlation there. Between people who prefer larger degrees of randomness in their game and also prefer to fudge. IME, there is, but, that's just purely anecdotal.
    XP Les Moore gave XP for this post

I wonder if there's any sort of correlation there. Between people who prefer larger degrees of randomness in their game and also prefer to fudge. IME, there is, but, that's just purely anecdotal.
    I doubt it. You could just as easily see correlation between people who prefer to let the die fall as they may, and also being against fudging.

It's been so long since I actually rolled HP's, that I honestly forgot that some people still do this. Good grief, it's been almost ten years now for me. 4e and then 5e. Heck, even in 3e we typically took standard HP values.

Kinda like die rolling characters. Again, it's been so long since I've done that, I've kinda forgot that it's a thing that people do.
    I would like to try it again, but it is not something my current table would relish, and I'm unwilling to flex my DM muscle within our social contract for that. However, with a new group of players it should be easy to incorporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold Boots View Post
    That's a pretty good idea from a speed perspective and abstraction. What happens with DC's above 20? ( I know, not likely for all things in a room)
    I was trying out his Index Card RPG system - which is essentially a stripped-down bare-naked skeleton D&D d20 system - and I can't recall those sort of DCs. I don't think it would be that hard though to use a 20 on a d20 and then use a d10 for the additional values.

There is another system mechanic that helps though: easy and hard. When something is "easy" in the encounter, then it is the encounter DC minus 3. When something is "hard" in the encounter, then it is the encounter DC plus 3. So you can distinguish between bosses and mooks through easy and hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Imaculata View Post
    I doubt it. You could just as easily see correlation between people who prefer to let the die fall as they may, and also being against fudging.
    There's a clear correlation between both people who fudge and people who don't fudge, and disliking anchovies. Just ask around!
    Laugh Imaculata, Les Moore laughed with this post

Sorry, I misspoke. Standard HP/level are a norm, not the norm. The other option is, of course, rolling.

Part of the point of the game, at least for us, is to "roll the bones". I guess what you do must be fun (?) but it wouldn't be the same without dice. Some
    of us harken back to before the planet's crust cooled, and we used 4D6 as the basis for all rolls, in the early times, before polyhedrals were widely available.
    Granted, it's just a game play style, but for some, many, still perhaps, a ritual one.
    XP Lanefan gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Les Moore View Post
    Part of the point of the game, at least for us, is to "roll the bones". I guess what you do must be fun (?) but it wouldn't be the same without dice. Some
    of us harken back to before the planet's crust cooled, and we used 4D6 as the basis for all rolls, in the early times, before polyhedrals were widely available.
    Granted, it's just a game play style, but for some, many, still perhaps, a ritual one.
    That's where I am. I simply won't use point buy or array, nor will I use static hit points.
    XP Les Moore gave XP for this post

I admit to being a bit of a whore to point-buy, who wants a dull, boring character? And I'll also accept or use any other mechanic which makes the game more fun.
    But we just love to roll the dice, and the game just wouldn't be the game, without it.
    XP Maxperson gave XP for this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply