What if there were no attacks of opportunity?

What if the only way to stop someone from reaching the back line was to grapple them, or put them down fast?

Has anyone played 5e without attacks of opportunity that care to share their experience?

Fanaelialae

Legend
I have not played such, but I expect it would make it much more difficult to protect the squishies. In particular, it would devalue the sword and board fighter (the classic tank) since it can neither kill quickly nor grapple.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Imagine there's no attacks of opportunity
It's easy if you try
No hits for leaving
No hits for running by
Imagine all the kobolds running for your mage.

Imagine there's no consequence
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or aim for
And no optional rules too.
Imagine all the kobolds living life in peace

You....

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll give up AOO's
And the game will be just as fun.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
What if the only way to stop someone from reaching the back line was to grapple them, or put them down fast?
I'm always only going to get into fights when my tough allies can stand side-by-side in bottlenecks, so the enemies can't get to me.

Wide-open spaces are for me to run around / away.

- The squishy artillery

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
But seriously, you asked to share experience and because AoO has been around since 1st edition, it's hard to do so as taking it away tends to punish players far more than the bad guys and you'd have to House Rule it away to know what it's like. Otherwise:

AD&D 1st edition: Free attacks on anyone leaving melee. That's plural. Don't flee from bears, hydras, etc.
AD&D 2nd edition: Same thing + added withdrawal rules.
D&D 3rd edition: Got crazy and now we have a table to check what triggers an AoO.
D&D 4th: I refuse to recognize it as a gaming system.
D&D 5th edition: Dramatic simplification, consumes a Reaction, limited to 1 attack.

Removing it would denigrate certain class abilities, such as the Monk's Step of the Wind, that allow them to whisk through combat threat zones, and Rogues, who can skirmish without risk by class design. Removing would also remove a layer of strategy for formation since enemies or players could simply walk by.

Now, if you wanted to adopt 1st edition rules, that if they aren't engaged in melee with you, they can waltz right by, that might be worth a test. You could define engaged as one of them took a swing at the other. But man, it's such an integral part of the game, I can't visualize it working.

The 5e playtest didn't originally have attacks of opportunity. They fairly quickly added them in (second or third iteration if i recall). One problem was that you could have a long line of foes move past you taking swings as they went.

Now you can always try to change other rules to fix that, like getting rid of the ability to attack at any point during your movement. But then you've just traded one type of freedom of movement for another.

Satyrn

First Post

Has anyone played 5e without attacks of opportunity that care to share their experience?

My table's game doesn't seem to play with this "Protect/Attack the squishies" tactic. That is, there's nothing really hampering either side from attacking the target they want to, and I don't think the presence/absence of opportunity attacks would change anything.

As a DM, I tend to have my monsters choose a target at the start of the combat and attempt to reach them by staying out of reach of the other PCs, but they will engage for at least 1 round with the PC who intercepts them (and would do so even without opportunity attacks).

My (the table's other) DM seems to do much the same too.

As players, the table is more inclined to attack the big boss first, and the fear of opportunity attacks do keep us in check at times - I'm thinking the best solution to this, if you were removing opportunity attacks - is to simply have either: 1) no squishy monsters, or 2) lots of squishy monsters; either option means so there's no single target for focus fire, no single ally needing protected.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I don't know if my descriptive prowess could keep up if there was that much fluidity to movement in combat. LOL I have limits!

;)

In my experience, any rule which specifically targets one particular type of character (squishies, in this case) will instantly result in players choosing to play other character types. If you have a rule that makes concentration easier to break, then nobody is going to play a character who focuses on concentration spells. If you make it easier for a paladin to fall, then nobody is going to play a paladin in that campaign.

Instead of a sorcerer, that player will choose a cleric, or they'll be a dwarf for the armor proficiency and Con bonus. A player will do anything in their power to make a targeted restriction irrelevant to them.

Remove ads