Forgotten Rules Remembered Too Late

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
There's a comic to go with this write-up, but here by my tale. Ahem:

Have any of you guys ever come close to losing a character? Or even better, have you ever come close to a TPK? If so, then you understand the strange kind of time dilation that comes along with these situations. Moments before you were skipping merrily about the initiative tracker, briskly passing turns and allowing the Rule of Cool to sort the details. But now there’s death on the line, and that jerk behind the GM screen can just wait a friggin’ minute while you look over the fine print on your character sheet. There must be something on there to save you. Some rule. Some forgotten magic item. Look hard enough and surely (surely!) you will find that all-important +1 bonus.

It’s moments like these when I’m reminded how many rules there are in gaming. I like to think I’m pretty good at keeping them all in my brain, but it is truly, staggeringly easy overlook some seemingly minor detail. Trying to use the cover of darkness to sneak around a dwarf is a perfect example. Same deal with creature subtypes in Pathfinder. (If you’ve ever tried to cast “enlarge person” on a tiefling, you know what I’m talking about). Same deal with the grappling rules in any system ever.

This all leads of course to this discussion question: Have you ever forgotten some rule or ability that, in retrospect, could have saved your bacon? What was it?

This happened to a player in one of my groups recently. He forgot about having a magic item that could have kept him from going to zero HP. To add insult to injury, it was a magic item that he wagered his very soul to earn in the first place!

I think this happens to us all the time, whether we’re in a near-to-at-death situation or not. We just happen to remember those forgetful moments that lead to something bad more clearly. But I sure can remember that I didn’t need to take that full necrotic damage that would’ve killed my barbarian but for a nearby helpful cleric!

As a DM, if the PC remembers quickly enough after the fact, and not too much has happened since, I’m perfectly willing to rewind time and allow a do-over. But if they don’t remember fast enough, well, then that becomes a lessons learned type of situation.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
As a DM, if the PC remembers quickly enough after the fact, and not too much has happened since, I’m perfectly willing to rewind time and allow a do-over. But if they don’t remember fast enough, well, then that becomes a lessons learned type of situation.

I tried to institute that rule. Then my players called me on it in turn. I no longer institute that rule. :p

Les Moore

Explorer
The same things happen in real life, not usually life-and-death situations, but definitely shoulda-coulda-woulda or you-snooze-you-lose situations.
This is one of the reasons I prefer to play characters which I'm familiar with, and keep the aces-in-the-hole in easy access pockets.
IMO, one of the fun aspects of the game is it's real time response oriented, and you have to think on your feet. It's part of the fun and excitement.

the Jester

Legend
This is a 5e example, so not 'older edition' et al, but- half-orcs in 5e have a "drop to 0, instead drop to 1 hp" racial ability. A player in my game totally forgot about that until a few minutes after his half-orc got slain.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Every time I scan the list of forum topics, I read this one as "Forgotten Realms Remembered Too Late". Every time!

And just so I contribute something on topic, we've recently transitioned from a 4th Edition campaign (all the way to level 30!) and begun a 5th Edition campaign. Both the DM (me) and the players have not yet adapted to the switch between Action points and Inspiration. I'm not remembering to award Inspiration often enough, and in our last game one of my players forgot to use his Inspiration while attempting to escape the clutches of a vampire spawn. Twice. And then died to blood drain :(.

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Every time I scan the list of forum topics, I read this one as "Forgotten Realms Remembered Too Late". Every time!

And just so I contribute something on topic, we've recently transitioned from a 4th Edition campaign (all the way to level 30!) and begun a 5th Edition campaign. Both the DM (me) and the players have not yet adapted to the switch between Action points and Inspiration. I'm not remembering to award Inspiration often enough, and in our last game one of my players forgot to use his Inspiration while attempting to escape the clutches of a vampire spawn. Twice. And then died to blood drain :(.

Ouch. My DM reminded me last night in our Out of the Abyss game that I had Inspiration after the roll-to-not-plummet-to-your-death save. He allowed me to use it as a reroll rather than advantage. Not its intended use, but maybe a good house rule while you guys are getting used to the new system.

cmad1977

Hero
Ouch. My DM reminded me last night in our Out of the Abyss game that I had Inspiration after the roll-to-not-plummet-to-your-death save. He allowed me to use it as a reroll rather than advantage. Not its intended use, but maybe a good house rule while you guys are getting used to the new system.

Yup. I’ve done this while people were getting used to inspiration. I also say something like ‘if you have inspiration...’ when people are considering a check to softly remind them about it.

Remove ads