WOIN Space Fantasy / Starfinder-ishness

Brian I

First Post
Howdy All,

As I’m reading through my newly arrived copies of OLD and NEW, it strikes me that WOIN would be a great fit (for me, anyway) for Starfinder-ishness stuffs.

I’d run some Starfinder for the local store to great effect, but didn’t thrill to the system myself (and I’m a former Pathfinder GM). I think the WOIN rules provides solutions to most of the SF tropes ... offhand, I’m leaning to the NEW sample setting and just add mysticism and magic and such (mainly the Magic of Old. Heh).

Anyone with some relevant thoughts or experiences?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's pretty much what the system is designed to do - combine OLD and New to put magic in space. Starfinder didn't exist when they were made, but the image in my head was Dragonstar.

So, yeah. Mixing OLD and NEW together to make Starfinder is *exactly* the original design intent. :)

dekrass

Explorer
I've done a bit of tinkering with settings in WOIN. I find mixing things from the three core books is quite easy. You may need to tweak some skill lists for careers you move between eras, but that's about it.
If you mix together psionics, magic, and chi you should be aware that a character utilizing more than one of those is in for much heavier book-keeping than others, but it still works.

Brian I

First Post
Awesome. And yea, Dragonstar. Still surprised that one hadn’t been rolled back out, given how frequently it comes up. I’ll need to give it a glance for some items to incorporate (or not).
That's pretty much what the system is designed to do - combine OLD and New to put magic in space. Starfinder didn't exist when they were made, but the image in my head was Dragonstar.

So, yeah. Mixing OLD and NEW together to make Starfinder is *exactly* the original design intent. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases