5e needs a Faiths and Avatars style book

gyor

Legend
5e needs a Faiths and Avatars style book.

To A) better explain how Gods work. The side bar need elaboration, like since gods can be different ranks on different worlds, if Asmodeus and Lolth are greater Gods in FR, but Lesser in Greyhawk and someone kills them in Greyhawk, what effect does this have on them in FR?

B) How does Planescape deal with deities that have different tanks on different worlds when it's the after life and connected with them all.

C) The function and abilities of the different ranks, including quasi deities could use more detail.

D) what fills the role and function of Angels for none good deities.

E) some more details on what Cleric Domains are exactly.

F) more Celestial Races

G) More details on the gods named, but not detailed in MTOFs and else where. Plus the other Pantheons of Toril, like the Celestial Buracracy, Enlightened Gods of Zakhara, and the Gods of Maztica. Same for other settings.

H) more divine subclasses

I) details on how Divine Realms of the Gods function, both in the planes and in the Material World.

Greg K

Legend
To A) better explain how Gods work. The side bar need elaboration, like since gods can be different ranks on different worlds, if Asmodeus and Lolth are greater Gods in FR, but Lesser in Greyhawk and someone kills them in Greyhawk, what effect does this have on them in FR?
Better, drop these 4e revisions of Asmodeus and Lolth being Greater gods and just stick to their earlier lore.

gyor

Legend
Better, drop these 4e revisions of Asmodeus and Lolth being Greater gods and just stick to their earlier lore.

Except that both make far more sense as Greater Deities, Lolth heads her own Pantheon and has a lot of worshippers and influence.

Asmodeus rules 9 layers of He'll and promotes and control Archdevils that rule entire layers.

He also has many worshipers in FR and has much influence.

Ed Laprade

First Post
One thing such a book really ought to have is how the clergy work. Clerics are just Clerics, because they don't even know what rituals, holy days, etc. they are supposed to deal with. They don't have religions, just vaguely defined hierarchies. If that.

ccs

41st lv DM
5e needs a Faiths and Avatars style book.

B) How does Planescape deal with deities that have different tanks on different worlds when it's the after life and connected with them all.

C) The function and abilities of the different ranks, including quasi deities could use more detail.

D) what fills the role and function of Angels for none good deities.

E) some more details on what Cleric Domains are exactly.

F) more Celestial Races

G) More details on the gods named, but not detailed in MTOFs and else where. Plus the other Pantheons of Toril, like the Celestial Buracracy, Enlightened Gods of Zakhara, and the Gods of Maztica. Same for other settings.

H) more divine subclasses

I) details on how Divine Realms of the Gods function, both in the planes and in the Material World.

It's too bad there's no You Tube instructional videos on how to use ones imagination.

Oofta

Legend
Why not just get a PDF from a previous edition? You'd have to figure out domains and what not, but that's pretty easy.

Which is not to say I don't agree, just that I'm not sure how much value there is. Since 5E is not doing book of the month any more, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. Most people will just grab an old book since it's mostly fluff or do home brew or some combination like I do.

Li Shenron

Legend
Basically a theology treatise.

You know what's the problem with such book? That 5 minutes after it's out, people are already complaining that God this should be that, and Goddess that should be this instead, that this thing should really be split and those should be merged and so on. Gamers do that kind of game with all books, but the more useless (detatched from play) the book, the more pronounced the effect. The truth is probably that people who are interested in theorycraft would not so much be reading it but would really be writing it... and so let everyone just write its own :)

Hussar

Legend
One thing such a book really ought to have is how the clergy work. Clerics are just Clerics, because they don't even know what rituals, holy days, etc. they are supposed to deal with. They don't have religions, just vaguely defined hierarchies. If that.

This I could really get behind. Ways to ground a cleric into the setting so that she isn't just a wizard with healing spells. Being a cleric (or a druid) should have huge impacts on how that class is played. Yes, it's more limiting, but, at the same time, I'd rather that cleric players start with "I'M A CLERIC" rather than just another caster.

Remove ads