[ooc]Traveller T20 - Full

Seonaid

Explorer
Aslan professional (I'm thinking medic)

I was hoping for 3 prior terms, all in academic (schooling through post-doc). If that doesn't work out through the prior history rolls (I only have the merchant), let me know. Obviously, that could be a big problem. :)
current (4th): professional (hopefully)

These are the stats I rolled, including racial mods. If they look too high, I can roll them again. I used the AOL chat room dice roller.

Str: 11
Dex:14
Con:10
Int:15
Wis:11
Cha:11
Edu: 18
Soc:13

Let me know what happened in my prior history, and I'll do the rest of the character. I did get the lite rules. They're printing out as we speak. :)

doghead

thotd
Working on the outline now - the Lite book doesn't seem to give the XP required for level advancement. Am I missing something?

Maerdwyn

First Post
Seonaid said:
Aslan professional (I'm thinking medic)
<snip>
Let me know what happened in my prior history, and I'll do the rest of the character. I did get the lite rules. They're printing out as we speak. :)
(Spelling all this out so everyone knows how it works)

Term 1 Bachelors: Admit DC = 22-EDU = 4. Roll= 1d20+3 (+2 for INT, +1 for Academic class)=20. Success
Graduation DC = 22-EDU = 4. Roll= 1d20+3=18. Success. +3000XP
Honors DC = 28-EDU = 10. Roll= 1d20+3=21. Success. +1000XP +1EDU
Time Elapsed is 3 years.

Term 2 Masters: Admit DC = 26-EDU = 7. Result: 1+3=4= Unfortunately, Failure. You may reapply after another term of prior history, but must choose another option for this term. No time yet elapsed. (Sorry 'bout that...)

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
doghead said:
Working on the outline now - the Lite book doesn't seem to give the XP required for level advancement. Am I missing something?
Its a d20 license thing. Same Xp tables as D&D, or Current Level*1000XP needed to reach the next level. (1000 to reach level 2, 3000 total to reach level, etc.)

Seonaid

Explorer
Maerdwyn said:
Term 1 Bachelors: Admit DC = 22-EDU = 4. Roll= 1d20+3 (+2 for INT, +1 for Academic class)=20. Success
Graduation DC = 22-EDU = 4. Roll= 1d20+3=18. Success. +3000XP
Honors DC = 28-EDU = 10. Roll= 1d20+3=21. Success. +1000XP +1EDU
Time Elapsed is 3 years.

Term 2 Masters: Admit DC = 26-EDU = 7. Result: 1+3=4= Unfortunately, Failure. You may reapply after another term of prior history, but must choose another option for this term. No time yet elapsed. (Sorry 'bout that...)

So after a decent first three years, I managed to not get into graduate school. Heh, my grades must have slipped, despite that "honors" bit. :)

Okay, second term will be Traveller. After thinking school is not for me, I decide to ship out with a friend/relative and see some of the universe.

Edit: NOTES TO SELF: +4000XP. +1EDU.

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
Maerdwyn said:
Have to go out for a while - I'll check back later this afternoon.
Nooo, you must stay chained to your desk until this campaign is done (which, hopefully will be never). Hahahahaha . . . Where's the evil smiley?

:)

doghead

thotd
Saanath Beta 0.3

OK. This should be pretty close to the final thing. I will edit out all of the generation notes in the final copy. I decide just to pay for all of the equipment listed, clothes and stuff I will flesh out later.

Saanath
Link to rolls:
http://www14.brinkster.com/nadaka/Experiments/DiceboxSearch.asp?FindValue=Saanath&SearchFor=UserName

Saanath; Human; Merchant.

Str: 15 (+2)
Dex: 16 (+3)
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 15 (+2)
Wis: 16 (+3)
Cha: 10 (+0)
Edu: 12 (+1) High School, Level 4 increase here.
Soc: 10 (+0)

Languages: Galanglic, ?, ?.

Homeworld Skills:
T/Computer 1
T/Communication 1
Pilot 1

Starting Feats:
ArmourP (Light).
ArmourP (VacSuit).
Barter.
WeaponP (Marksman).

PHT1 (Planetside) 4000XP
Survives, No Promotion, XP or Cash Bonus.

PHT2 (Routine) 7000XP
Survives, XP Bonus (3000XP), No Promotion or Cash Bonus.

Mustering Out.
Cash (+1 for retiring): Cr20,000.
Material: Low Passage.

Total Experience: 11,000XP (4,000+7,000).
2nd 1000xp (10,000)
3rd 2000xp ( 8,000)
4th 3000xp ( 4,000)
5th 4000xp ( 0)

Well, he bored himself silly for 8 years and got to 5th level doing it.

Skills Points:
Starting (7+2)x4)+4)=40
Advancment (7+2+1)x4)=40
Total 80

Skills Rank/Effective
Appraise 8/10 (+2 Int)
Bluff 8/08 (+0 Cha)
Broker 8/12 (+2 Int, +2 Barter)
Gamble 8/12 (+2 Int, +2 Bluff Syn)
Gather Info 8/10 (+2 Carousing Syn)
Liason 8/10 (+2 Bluff Syn)
Pilot 1+7/11 (+3 Dex)
Prof (Programmer) 4/07 (+1 Edu, +2 T/Comp Syn)
T/Communication 1+7/09 (+1 Edu)
T/Computer 1+7/09 (+1 Edu)
Trader 8/14 (+2 Int, +2 Barter)

Feats: (Universal Starting, Human, Class Starting (4), 1st lvl, 1st Lvl Bonus, 2nd lvl Bonus, 3rd level, 5th level Bonus, Homeworld)

Brawling; Improved Unarmed Strike; ArmourP (Light); ArmourP (VacSuit); Barter; WeaponP (Marksman); Hacker; Vessel (Ships Boat); Market Analyst; Vessel (Starship); Carousing; Vessel (Grav).

The Story.

Planetside. Not what Saanath had hoped for. 4 years of shuttling cargo and passengers, managing manifests and keeping tabs on in ships in-system. It did, however give him an insight into the mechanics of running a merchant enterprise. He proved to be a remarkably quick learner with a natural ability to read the market. The rather careless attitude towards security of many of Companies didn't hurt any, either. Bored out of his mind, Saanath was considering quitting at the end of his term when he was given training to upgrade his ShipsBoat familiarity to Starships. Offworld!

1st -> 3rd level. Skills: Appraise; Broker; Pilot; T/Communication; T/Computer. Feats: Hacker, Market Analyst, Vessel (Ship's Boat), Vessel (Starship).

When the company offered Route, he almost quit on the spot. It was however, a offworld assignment, so he took it. Fortunately. Also on the same Duty Assignment was a 5 term veteren who had been busted down to 02-Crewman again for insubordination. It was a much more productive year. Saanath's new companion introduced Saanath to the free wheeling and often seemy life of the spaceports. And like most crewmen, Saanath's companion also ran a small "Locker Merchant" enterprise, trading in goods utilising some of their personal space allocation.

Saanath again learnt quickly, becoming remarkably adept at it. Within the first year he was in a position to Broker small bulk deals, but to do so he need to use some of the unallocated cargo space on the trader. Most Companies allow it. There were usually two options: a percentage of the profits or a fixed price. Saanath's Chief Purchasing Officer (CPO) insisted on a fixed price, despite the fact that in use of the space represented little in the way of a cost increase to the ship. Six months later, realising that Saanath had a knack trading, the CPO tried to insist on a percentage agreement. Saanath refused, explaining that he would wait until the new CPO arrived. The CPO, his performance record less than impressive, backed down.

Over the next two years, they accrued a fairly substancial amount of money buying and selling on the various planets on the route. An amount that he learnt to add to at the gaming tables. However, their success, despite the fact that it helped him keep his job, earned them the displeasure of the CPO who was making significantly less return on the company investments.

Near the end of his term, Saanath's partner was dishonourably discharged. Saanath was enraged. Although he couldn't prove any direct connection with the CPO, he was convinced that the CPO had had a hand in the matter. So he handed over his share of the earnings to his friend and, at the end of his term, promptly retired.

3rd -> 5th level. Skills: Bluff, Gamble; Gather Info; Liason; Trader. Feats: Carousing.

His last act before walking away was to pass on his Low Passage benefit to the Chief Purchasing Officer's rather striking daughter who had dreams of being discovered on Neuvo Los Angeles.

Standing in Pioneer Park watching the shuttles and small starships lift of from the spaceport, Saanath, as he tries to work out his next step, finds himself wondering if he is interested in being a merchant any more. He has already made what many would consider a small fortune, then given it away. But if not a merchant, what else? He might have even considered the Navy had he not told his elder brother that it was for those who were too lazy to decide for themselves what to wear each day.

So what now? It has to be the Mercantile Council on Dukh, Saanath decides. If there is anywhere ideally suited to finding out whether he still wants to be a Merchant Prince, its there. If he doesn't its a better place than many to find a new start. Securing a working passage as far as Daramm at least shouldn't be a problem. And after that?

Equipment:

Auto Pistol (cr200, .750kg); Shotgun (cr150, 3.750kg); FlakJacket (cr100, 1kg); Combination Mask (cr150, 1kg); Hand Computer "Oyster***" (cr2000, .5kg); WristWatch "Traveller"* (cr250, n/a); ColdLight Lantern (cr20, .25kg); MobilePhone** (cr100, n/a).

* Includes multiple time, AtmospherePressure, AtmosphereMix and Gravity indicators.
** Includes GPS indicator.
*** High end model.

Homeword: Kansas (temp name)
UPP: B-64735-11 Argricultural.

It's primary industries have and probably always will be the ship repair yards that cluster around the smaller planetary bodies near Kansas, and grains. Kansas's climate is hot and fairly dry, with water covering only 47% of the planets surface. However, a fortunate geography and some basic terraforming ensure resonably reliable precipitation.

The presence of the repair yards have made Kansas a slightly more cosmopolitan place than it could have been. But basically, it is an ordinary, slightly run-down planet populated by ordinary people doing ordinary things. It has its share of civic leaders consistantly dreaming up new campaigns so convince people that it is a "a great place to be" or "visit", its rich and its poor, its lawabiding and lawless, its generous and venal. Most things and most races can be found there, somewhere, mostly in the half dozen spaceport cities that can be found around the equator.

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
Nooo, you must stay chained to your desk until this campaign is done (which, hopefully will be never). Hahahahaha . . . Where's the evil smiley?
*Sitting at my wife's office waiting for her to be ready for lunch, I feel inexorable pull towards ENWorld Boards* NOOOOOOOoooooo!

Seonaid said:
So after a decent first three years, I managed to not get into graduate school. Heh, my grades must have slipped, despite that "honors" bit. :)
QUOTE]

Nah, someone at your college forwarded the wrong GMAT scores But if you make a road trip up there this weekend, there might still be a chance! (Sorry - Bad reference to a bad movie :) - Ever see Orange County?)

I'll leave the details of your four years as a traveller to yoo, since you rolled "Personal Business" for your Duty Assignment. You survived without mishap, but did not earn an XP bonus (Rolls ). 4 Years, +4000xp, +10000Cr, +High Passage to a world 1 Jump away.

You may now reapply to a Masters degree program (perhaps on the new world you've arrived at). BTW, Class is separate from Profession. You need to have taken at least one level in a Class corresponding each Profession you advance in, but thereafter are free to advance your class as you choose. So, your first Class level was Academic, and one of your next levels was Traveller, but with your 8,000 current XP, you could be an Academic 1/Traveller 3, an Academic 3/Traveller 1, or Academic 2/Traveller2. You also get your +1 ability bonus now that you are 4th level.

Douane

First Post
Curses on you! How dare you tempt me so?

But I will resist the lure of the favorite game of my youth!

Whimper!

Vargr Scout/Traveller, please?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases