rl=earl
e=get
w=wow
ei=bay
k=kite
ye=Not in the pronunciation guide.

Seonaid

Explorer
Here's what I have. Some of this (for example, the number of feats) is probably wrong. Once I get the class information, I'll formalize this. If there's any other racial stuff I need (language, appearance, etc.), please let me know. Sorry I don't have the books! :-\ Stuff in brackets (in the history) will be figured out later. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll get to it later. :)

If any of the names (particularly planets) seem improbable, let me know. :) Also, I'd appreciate it if someone would roll me a random height and weight (and appearance, if T20 does that). I don't know the general Aslan racial stuff, so I don't want to make something up.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with background information. I really appreciate it!

Ktarlewaweikye Os Tehlayew Olui
Female Aslan Medic (Academic 5 / Traveller 1)
XP: 15,000
Cr: 12K

Str: 11 (+0)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 10 (+0)
Int: 15 (+2)
Wis: 11 (+0)
Cha: 11 (+0)
level 4 ability increase here Cha 11+1=12 (+1)
Edu: 21 (+5)
Soc: 13 (+1)

Speed: 12m, 18m in personal combat
Low-Light Vision
+1 attack with dewclaw (1d6)
+1 Listen

Languages Spoken
Trokh (automatic), Standard Galanglic (or Vilani) (automatic), Vuakedh (or whatever the reigning Vargr language is) (Int bonus), +1 more I assume (Int bonus)

Academic Skills
+10 Decipher Script (8)
+8 Gather Information (8), +10 when searching for Medical through Connections (feat), +12 when searching for Medical (Research feat)
+13 K/Aslan Biology (8)
+13 K/Aslan Genetics (8)
+13 K/Chemistry (8)
+13 Navigation (8)
Read/Write Language (8): apparently all known languages and then some :)
+12 T/Computer (8)
+15 T/Medical (8)
+8 Use Alien Device (8)

Traveller Skills
+9 Gunnery (4)
+6 Pilot (4)

World Skills (TL11)
+8 K/Interstellar Law (3)

Feats
Connections: Medical
Research: Medical
Skill Focus: T/Medical
Xeno-Medicine: Vargr

Gear I'd like
Field Med Kit
First Aid Kit
Radiation Counter
Medical Drug times X

History
Ktarlewaweikye Os Tehlayew Olui grew up in a moderately rigid hierarchical society. Hryo was not as bad as some more "backwards" planets, but women were expected not to fight, and men were expected not to think. She came from a fairly well-to-do family, and her childhood was happy and she lacked for nothing except the pet afeahyalhtow she always wanted. She went directly into undergraduate studies after high school and matriculated with honors and a degree in biology. She applied to graduate school, but only did so half-heartedly, and when she was not accepted, only her parents were disappointed. She was glad, because it meant she had an excuse to ship out with her cousin, Eteasteah, and see some of the universe she'd read so much about. The two chartered a small space-faring vessel, the Eaia, and spent a year running messages and packages and dodging pirates. There were no real pirates, though their ship almost got impounded when they ran afoul in an asteriod belt that, although not on any of their maps (admittedly not the most recent versions), was claimed by a Nells mining company. Ktarlewaweikye mostly cowered off-screen in fear of what might happen, and what dishonor that might cause, while Eteasteah negotiated with the Humans. Eteasteah argued semantics and galactic law until the Humans were too bored to continue, and while she never showed any of that knowledge or ability ever again, Ktarlewaweikye could never shake the suspicion that her cousin was much more than she seemed. After that first year, Eteasteah decided to settle with a suspicious-looking ruffian and left Ktarlewaweikye on her own. It wasn't hard, however, for a bright young woman to find berth on a ship, and she worked the next three years in relative anonymity, seeing much of the universe but none of her home planet.

Finally, the wanderlust left her, and she decided to muster out when the crew reached a fairly hospitable multi-racial world. The floridly-named Last Hope Before the Fall was a a jump or two away from many major routes, and therefore was diverse, but not as open as a capitol planet or trade center. She accepted the High Passage she was given, but decided to "save" it for later, and settled on the new world. She applied and was accepted to a prominent medical school, where she spent a year learning the basics of xeno-biology. Right before her second term exams, word reached her that her father was deathly ill. Upset and confused, she barely passed the exams and returned home on the first veseel she found, using the High Passage she had earned the year prior. Once she got home, she realized there was no way she could finish her studies at Hope University, and cancelled her enrollment. Her father passed away the next week. The mourning took the requisite 6 days, and then the family moved on as best it could. Ktarlewaweikye, angry with herself for not being home the last several years, vowed not to leave and, when a family friend invited Ktarlewaweikye to join the biology program at her university, accepted. She graduated with a master's in biology, and immediately continued toward her doctorate. Two years later, she was finished. Her research led her to find an innovative solution to a previously-stymying genetic breakdown, and her thesis ("Homeopathic Medicine in the Space Age: Solving the Genetic Puzzles") granted her honors.

Having spent an exhausting four years living and studying at home, Ktarlewaweikye decided to pursue her studies, but elsewhere. She booked Working Passage to a nearby world, and filled in as the medic on a small Aslan courier. The trip was uneventful, with only the occasional space sickness or ship bug to treat. On the planet Post, she graduated from the xeno-biology program at the ranking university with honors. Her doctoral dissertation was entitled "Samshkarkh: Vargr Medicine and Its Effects on Aslan Technique," for though Humans are populous, her inbred cultural distate made her choose not to study them. She is not strongly prejudiced, but she often wonders why the Humans (and the Vargr, for that matter, though the Humans are less civilized) allow their women to fight and their men to practice medicine. She now holds two medical doctorates and is qualified to treat both Aslan and Vargr.

The decision to enter the lottery was made on a whim. Ktarlewaweikye had not really expected to win, even with her abilities, and expected to spend a few more rotations on this planet before leaving as a medic on an Aslan (or Vargr) ship, and ultimately settling down on an Aslan world and teaching medicine at the prominent university. Therefore, her interest in the trip is slight, and she has been spending the past few weeks reading up on the latest medical news and corresponding with her family. Her mother and brothers and sister are all well, pursuing their lives on Hryo. There are rumors that her oldest brother is planning on leaving the planet, to ship out on a merchant vessel. The decision has caused ripples in the family hierarchy, as he's made it clear he had no interest in maintaining the estate when their mother passed away. Her sister, the next eldest, has announced her willingness to take the reins, but no one expects her to do well, for her lack of business acumen is renowned. Eteasteah, the cousin, did indeed marry the ne'er-do-well, and they are leading a relatively quiet life on some unnamed planet (unnamed by Eteasteah, that is), raising their infant and, Ktarlewaweikye is sure, plotting their next big disaster.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Seonaid. Nice history. I havn't been following people PH development much as I have been busy trying to get my brain around my own PH, but i can see the structure of yours underlining the story. From what I remember, you can keep Passages granted in Mustering out til you need them.

doghead

thotd
This idea came to me as I was working on the character.

In the more isolated regions, the neccessity of providing for ones own self protection is generally widely recognised. As a result, the Frontier Clause, as it has become known, has become quite widely adapted in many outlying regions.

A moderate 5-6 Law Level variation.

Firearms, appart from military style and concealed weapons, may be carried.

In a shooting incident, where the shooter's weapon is loaded with non-lethal munitions, the shooter's intent will be presumed to be non-lethal (even where the shooting is lethal) unless it can be proved otherwise.

ie if you stick a shotgun loaded with rocksalt under a person's jaw and pull the trigger, it would hard to claim that you didn't intend to kill.

Non-lethal munitions include Rubber bullets (Pistol, rifle), Beanbag (Shotgun), Rocksalt (Shotgun). Given that these munitions have significantly less penetration power, and thus the ability to breach a hull, they are extremely popular with ships' crews.

My knowledge of guns largely comes from novels and games, so some of this may be screwy. Can you see any wrinkles/problems?

Just thought I would share (@_@)

Maerdwyn

First Post
I like it too, Seonaid - In fact, I like a lot of what's been posted and emailed by you all. This should be fun :)

Minor setback is the fact that my computer crashing last night while typing in the class lists seems to have bee a precursor to a major meltdown, and now that computer(which has most of my notes on it, and all of my email) won't even turn on. I'm pretty sure I can switch the hard drive into this (older, but functional) machine and recover everything, but I need you guys to bear with me for a little while if that's okay. Also, if anyone has any idea why a computer qould simply turn itself off during bootup and then not turn on again no matter what, please email me at my secondary address: iliston at yahoo dot com. Arrgh.

doghead - that sounds like a nice variant, and its implementaion would make sense in a good portion of the area you guys will be active in. *yoink*

As for homeworlds, they may have the charactertistics you want, within reason -Wilphe, your ideas of a Vargr dominated Vilani world are fine - I'll find a suitable world in Gateway Domain and place it for you if that's okay.

More soon :)

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Sorry, don't know much about computers. I sorted a similar problem by starting mine with all the extensions turned off (you hold down a couple of keys), or something like that. But thats a Mac thing.

A quick question: Whats the story with starting money? Unlike most games, the Mustering Out benefit does represent a cash in hand payout, rather than the value of possessions owned (essentially).

I'm not fussed about using the MO cash for equipment, but I was curious.

Maerdwyn

First Post
You are asumed to have your necessities, which I leave to you guys to determine, within reason. No ships :) (unless you muster out with one), but you have your clothes, professional tools, if appropriate, and the assumption that you food and lodging is taken care of, at least up until the time you begin travelling. After the necessities are taken care of, everyone gets Cr500 of "walking around money" in addition to mustering out benefits (so our Academic friends are not completely destitute)

If you want extras, like Infrared goggles, weapons or battle armor (again, unless you muster out with it) you must buy them. Open to suggestions on this policy, though, and I might refine it a bit.

Seonaid

Explorer
Hm . . . sounds bad for the computer. I've had similar troubles. Does the monitor have wide vertical ORANGE stripes? That what ours was doing. Sigh. I don't know anything either, so I can't help you, other than commiserating.

As for fun . . . fun for the GM might mean pain and suffering for the PC's. :D I'm all for it, hehee.

I'll have the details of my character sorted out within two days. Work is building up, so I'm not sure I can get it done tonight, but definitely by Saturday.

Remove ads