D&D 5E Hang Time - What if you jump farther than your speed?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
So? To be technically correct, they have not declared anything about their next turn.

Yes, they have. They've declared they leap all the way across the chasm, not part way. That action won't be complete until they land on the other side on their next turn.

Oofta

Legend
Yes, they have. They've declared they leap all the way across the chasm, not part way. That action won't be complete until they land on the other side on their next turn.

They've declared that they leap with enough force to cross the chasm. Whether they make it won't resolved until their turn.

In any case, I don't see what it hurts or why you're so hung up on it. You don't want to do it that way. Fine. Don't.

Hriston

They've declared that they leap with enough force to cross the chasm. Whether they make it won't resolved until their turn.

Why wait until their next turn then? They’ve declared an action. It’s the DM’s job to narrate the result of that action. To me, the obvious result of making such a leap is that you land on the other side. Of course, the character gets extra movement that way, but if you consider it permissible then why not resolve it?

My question is if it’s really a permissible action declaration, given the player doesn’t have the resources (feel of movement) needed to perform said action. Phrasing the declaration as if it only applies to the initiation of the action and not the obvious result just seems like an attempt to game the system to maximize movement.

Oofta

Legend
Why wait until their next turn then? They’ve declared an action. It’s the DM’s job to narrate the result of that action. To me, the obvious result of making such a leap is that you land on the other side. Of course, the character gets extra movement that way, but if you consider it permissible then why not resolve it?

My question is if it’s really a permissible action declaration, given the player doesn’t have the resources (feel of movement) needed to perform said action. Phrasing the declaration as if it only applies to the initiation of the action and not the obvious result just seems like an attempt to game the system to maximize movement.

To me the result of the action is that you're hurling yourself through the air with the intent of landing on the other side. Once your feet have left the ground you're going to land on the other side unless some outside force acts upon you. Same as if they had leaped while still having movement remaining to complete their movement on their turn.

There's no "gaming the system". No extra movement has been achieved.

But the result of my responding with effectively the same thing is that I just get the same questions over and over again. Don't want to do it this way? Don't do it. Have a good one but unless you have something to add, I'm done.

[EDIT: fixed typo]

Last edited:

Hriston

To me the result of the action is that you're hurling yourself through the air with the intent of landing on the other side.

That isn’t a result. That’s just a restatement of the player’s action declaration. The goal is to get across the chasm, and the approach is to leap through the air with enough force to do so. Unless there’s some special circumstance, the DM normally says yes to movement and notes any resulting change in the situation. For example, “As you land on the other side of the chasm, the bad guy’s minions move forward to block your path.” That’s what I mean by a result, the DM’s turn in the conversation.

Once your feet have left the ground you're going to land on the other side unless some outside force acts upon you. Same as if they had leaped while still having movement remaining to complete their movement on their turn.

There's no "gaming the system". No extra movement has been achieved.

Well, that isn’t exactly true. By allowing a partial jump, you’ve moved the distance covered by the partial jump forward from the next round into the current one. There seems to be no reason to do this other than to gain this benefit.

But the result of my responding with effectively the same thing is that I just get the same questions over and over again. Don't want to do it this way? Don't do it. Have a good one but unless you have something to add, I'm done.

[EDIT: fixed typo]

Okay, sorry for the headaches. You have a good one too.

Oofta

Legend
Well, that isn’t exactly true. By allowing a partial jump, you’ve moved the distance covered by the partial jump forward from the next round into the current one. There seems to be no reason to do this other than to gain this benefit.

I would say that you are artificially limiting a persons movement on their turn because you don't like to leave PCs hanging. Even though they aren't really hanging in the air ... there is no time gap between turns.

Poh-tay-toe poh-tah-toe. Neither are "true", both are "true". It's just a different ruling and a different perspective that was addressed in the first few dozen posts.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=6787503]Hriston[/MENTION], I'm somewhat partial to the "hang time" approach if only because it seems to open up some amusing possibilities, but your articulation of your approach to adjudication has been admirably clear.

Also, for what it's worth, 4e goes your way (Rules Compendium, p 139):

If the creature runs out of movement before landing, it also falls. However, if the jump was part of a move action, the creature can continue the jump as part of a double move (page 205), ending the first move action in midair and continuing the jump as part of the second move action. The creature makes a single Athletics check for the
jump but can use squares of movement from both actions for it.​

In 5e, I think move + Dash is equivalent to double move in 4e.

Hriston

I would say that you are artificially limiting a persons movement on their turn because you don't like to leave PCs hanging. Even though they aren't really hanging in the air ... there is no time gap between turns.

Well, it’s all a product of the imagination, so I don’t know what artificial is supposed to mean in this context. Am I supposed to believe that your approach is more natural because it more consistently utilizes turn-based movement?

Nevertheless, what seems “artificial“ to me about your approach isn’t the hang-time. I’ve already said several times I have no problem with that. It’s the granting to characters the ability to perform a “partial jump“. As far as I know, creatures in the real world don’t ever intend to partially jump. Landing the jump is part of one continuous act of jumping.

Oofta

Legend
Well, it’s all a product of the imagination, so I don’t know what artificial is supposed to mean in this context. Am I supposed to believe that your approach is more natural because it more consistently utilizes turn-based movement?

Nevertheless, what seems “artificial“ to me about your approach isn’t the hang-time. I’ve already said several times I have no problem with that. It’s the granting to characters the ability to perform a “partial jump“. As far as I know, creatures in the real world don’t ever intend to partially jump. Landing the jump is part of one continuous act of jumping.

You're supposed to believe i rule differently. That I think all things are happening simultaneously and turns are artificial. It's all just cut scenes from one participant in combat to another.

And that I don't care any more.

Hriston

You're supposed to believe i rule differently.

I already knew that. I have no problem with you ruling however you wish and don’t need you to rule like me.

That I think all things are happening simultaneously and turns are artificial. It's all just cut scenes from one participant in combat to another.

I agree with you about events in each round being roughly simultaneous. To me, turn-order is about the order in which actions are resolved, and really only when it matters. I think we’re on the same page here.

And that I don't care any more.

You don’t have to keep posting responses, you know.

Remove ads