The roots of 4e exposed?

I really thought that the point about late 3.5 was interesting. It made me realize that I really don't know much about the 3.5 "late game" and I find this a bit disconcerting.

There's a lot of experimentation for 4e in the late 3e books. Some people called it, others thought it was just the designers experimenting.
You had at-will magic in Complete Mage, martial "spells" in Tome of Battle, simplified skills in Star Wars Saga, different attempts at magic item math in Magic Item Compendium, skill/ utility powers in Complete Scoundrel, the Delve encounter format in the Expedition to ____ books, etc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The vast majority who passed/bailed on 4e did so because it mechanically just wasn't a version of the game they wanted to play. What WoTCs customers wanted was to spend $ on an improved 3x.

I don’t know the actual relative demographics, but that DOES describe me and about a dozen other gamers I know.

Not that 4Ed wasn’t fun or didn’t do some things right. To this day, 4Ed’s take on the Warlock- including the AEDU power format- remains my favorite.

There's a lot of experimentation for 4e in the late 3e books. Some people called it, others thought it was just the designers experimenting.
You had at-will magic in Complete Mage, martial "spells" in Tome of Battle, simplified skills in Star Wars Saga, different attempts at magic item math in Magic Item Compendium, skill/ utility powers in Complete Scoundrel, the Delve encounter format in the Expedition to ____ books, etc.

I admit I didn’t see the writing on the wall. I was in the “they’re experimenting “ camp.

I would have loved to see magic of Incarnum get reworked for clarity. ToB I could have lived without, and had no idea about the simplified skills (which ultimately, I didn’t care for). ToM had some good ideas, but it felt...I don’t know...rushed to market.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The other thing that struck me about early 4e was how poor some of the early adventures were. It just seemed that even the designers didnt seem to know how the game was meant to work.
There's no question that KotSf was horrid. It's telling, because Cordel wrote some great modules in the past, in particular, Heart of Nightfang Spire (yeah, I may be in a minority for thinking that's a masterpiece, but hear me out). HoNS kicked it in 3e, it took all the things that people had started doing to wreck that game and caused them to crash and burn. The Story Hours on here about that module were beautiful. All-caster-scry/buff/teleporter parties getting schooled but hard. It was punishing and brutal - if you metagamed - and a lot of it was turned up to 11.

KotSf was supposed to be an intro adventure, but it had a couple of fights that were clearly meant to be punishing, and they were made that way using the method you would've in 3e - by taking a PC type and leveling it up above the party's expected level. Only, 'PC type' was "Elite Monster," which had defenses a bit higher than they should've by default, it was leveled up to the hairy edge making its defenses improbably high, and placed in terrain that further upped those defense. Oops. Maybe Cordel was already thinking that 4e players would be powergaming up really high attack bonuses? IDK, but it badly overcompensated for whatever it was he was thinking would require an over-the-top challenge.
The problem was repeated in the Iron Tooth fight and again in the Paldemar fight in Thunderspire (the rest of Thunderspire was pretty good).
(And Pyramid of Shadows, though I personally enjoyed it from the player side, and it didn't have any similarly screwed up encounters, was aweful on just a story level, I admit - but it reminded me of a classic, weird/pointless dungeon, and that was enough to make it a certain kind of fun. I guess it helped that I was playing kinda a retro character concept in it.)

But I really appreciate 4e as a game. We played as a proper roleplaying game and it worked as well as previous editions or 5th - we didnt get so hooked that we "dwelled on the grid" as the article noted.
The article said something about 4e "succeeded, technically." That's how I've long felt about it. Technically, as a game, 4e was a significant improvement over D&D. (Which is faint praise, indeed.) As an edition of D&D, in every other aspect, prettymuch a trainwreck. D&D just isn't 'just a game' to most of it's fans.

It was a complicated game but I liked giving everyone powers and it changed my expectations of what I want to see in martial characters and monsters in particular.
D&D has always been a complex game, in spite of 3e & 4e having more material than AD&D, they were progressively less complicated, because each became more consistent, consolidating the redundant sub-systems and trimming the needless baroque flourishes of the ones before (in 4e's case, with a chainsaw). As has come up in another thread, long experience with D&D insulates most of us from its complexity, the bits that are the same as prior eds just fly under our radar, only the new/changed bits seem to pile on 'added' complexity. There were fewer stealth bits for 4e, more glaring changed/addded ones, because of its genocide of sacred cows.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
You're saying 4e was far ahead of its time.

I'm saying it was an aberration.

If some future edition is just like 4e, we'll know you're right.
Not quite. I'm saying that the D&D 3e engine (i.e., the d20 System) essentially remains the core of many systems, such as D&D 4-5e, Pathfinder, 13th Age, Shadow of the Demon Lord, etc. But that core 3e skeleton has its flaws, shortcomings, and pitfalls. But how do you address those flaws?

4e was one such response, and one underrated in its influence. Pathfinder (aka "3.75e") kept closer to 3e, but that did not make many of the problems of 3e go away. However, Paizo increasingly found the weight of those constant maintenance patches a burden, hence Pathfinder 2. And previews of Pathfinder 2 do appear to show similar solutions for similar problems within the 3e system.

5e became another response, but it also incorporated some of the "solutions" and approaches that have their roots in 4e. Same is true for these other games that I listed, though with 13th Age as something of an intentional blend of 3e and 4e between their respective lead designers.

I don't think this necessarily means that 4e was ahead of its time, but simply that there are common trends, patterns, and approaches for the question of "how do we fix/evolve/patch 3e?" and that 4e was simply the first, but its own idiomatic set of reactions to its strengths/shortcomings set the tone for what followed.

I admit I didn’t see the writing on the wall. I was in the “they’re experimenting “ camp.

I would have loved to see magic of Incarnum get reworked for clarity. ToB I could have lived without, and had no idea about the simplified skills (which ultimately, I didn’t care for). ToM had some good ideas, but it felt...I don’t know...rushed to market.
I was in denial as well. The announcement caught me by surprise.
I thought 3e had lots of life left. And based on the 10ish years of 1e and 2e, I was expecting it to last until 2010 or 2011. Or that they might try and drag things out until 2014 and the 40th anniversary. (Or 2013 so the edition would be out and finished for the 40th.)

Which is amusing as that second guess was kind right and we did get a new edition that year.

Never got Magic of Incarnum. After Unearthed Arcana and Tome of Magic, I felt I had more than enough weird magic variants. Still uncertain what the hook is.

Tome of Battle was funky. There was a lot of very magical effects that were given to fighters. Stuff that wasn’t magic more because they said so than because if felt like mundane. The classes there could do some very weird stuff and not all of it was really justified by flavour.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If they had started with Pathfinder or Dundeon World or even 1e reprints under exactly the same circumstances they could feel exactly the same way.

I'm not sure what you are saying - this may be a reading problem on my part - do you mean that they (I assume that "they" is "people who like 5e") had started with another game, they would feel the same way... about the older game? About 5e? What are these "same circumstances"

I'm sure it's very clear in your head, but I can't quite parse your meaning, sorry :(

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon

It makes these discussions more difficult doesn't it? I would have said, a week ago, that I knew 3.X pretty well (with the only obstacle being the amount of time since I last played). Now I'm not so sure.

... Ironically, it sounds like this "late 3.5" is more different from 3.5 that 3.5 was from 3.0 :p

Saga's skill system definitely has echoes in 5e, although implemented differently... a first level character could have like +13 on a skill at level 1 in Saga.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Designers never "just experiment." When designers start experimenting, it's because they want to try something that the ruleset they're working with doesn't normally accommodate. It doesn't always lead to a new edition of course, but it's almost always a sign that the designers are unsatisfied with the constraints of the ruleset they're working with, and unsatisfied designers are usually a sign of impending rules changes.

Ted Serious

First Post
It makes these discussions more difficult doesn't it? I would have said, a week ago, that I knew 3.X pretty well (with the only obstacle being the amount of time since I last played). Now I'm not so sure.

... Ironically, it sounds like this "late 3.5" is more different from 3.5 that 3.5 was from 3.0 :p

Saga's skill system definitely has echoes in 5e, although implemented differently... a first level character could have like +13 on a skill at level 1 in Saga.
The at-will magic was the warlock.

The martial magic was the sword sage. The warblade was interesting but not magical.

And no late 3e experiment nerfed casting into the ground.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The at-will magic was the warlock.

The martial magic was the sword sage. The warblade was interesting but not magical.

And no late 3e experiment nerfed casting into the ground.

I like how "the ground" is how you refer to "basically the same as non-casters."

Remove ads