A discussion of metagame concepts in game design

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How would you go about explaining what an atom was to someone in a DnD world? Not sure that they would necessarily believe that to be true when everyone already knows that the world is made out of the four Elements.

Take Dark Sun as example of what happens when you use too much magic.

Sure, but again that was external magic used recklessly and it destroyed a good portion of the world. It didn't make the world magical.

If you were in a low magic setting then how would you know that the background magic levels were lower then a normal DnD campaign world?
Obviously because every little thing is magical. See that kitten over there? It's a magic kitten! That pebble in the horses hoof? Must be a magic pebble of horse laming. The air is invisible! Must be magic.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Sure, but again that was external magic used recklessly and it destroyed a good portion of the world. It didn't make the world magical.

It does not make the world magical. Casting spells literally is draining the world of magic, defiling it so to speak. Why would you take damage from someone just drawing the magic to cast a spell if they were not taking the magic from you?

Obviously because every little thing is magical. See that kitten over there? It's a magic kitten! That pebble in the horses hoof? Must be a magic pebble of horse laming. The air is invisible! Must be magic.

Eureka, you are understanding it! And you did not even need to have a magic apple drop on your head either.

Aldarc

Legend
No, it's not. Yes, magic is a force that is all over. No, it doesn't permeate all matter. The completely mundane rock falls with D&D physics, and flies upward when D&D magic acts on it as an outside force, but is not itself magic. Most of the D&D universe isn't inherently magic.
Yes, it is, and have a nice day. :D

That's a neat setting concept, but it's by no means baseline. D&D has as much or as little magic as needed by whichever setting you're using.
I'm glad you like it, since I would say that "neat setting concept" is the implied, baseline default setting of D&D. :D

The D&D world is the DM's creation so you can do anything you want with it. But... The implied D&D setting is a medieval world where most people and most things are not magical. Magical beings and things are the exception not the rule.
When you look at the rules and nature of the implied world, I would say that the world and everything it is naturally magical, but not to equally significant degrees.

So in my conception of my world and the real world for that matter, people don't have second wind powers that they can activate a limited number of times per day. If you want to play a magical character then play one but many people prefer to play a non-magical character. Someone who is cinematically heroic but is not actually working magic.
And so that would represent your conception of your world as opposed to 5e's implied default setting. Nothing is stopping you from that interpretation or set of houserules. I hope that you do have fun with it.

I'm getting really sick of the goal posts moving constantly, the terms getting redefined constantly. What are you guys afraid of? That someone like me will enjoy roleplaying games? That someone out there who would likely not play otherwise will join one of my games and have fun.

The only time I see this level of outright willful ignorance is during political debates and those people have an agenda. What is your agenda?

My ONLY agenda is to have a fun game. This thread was about picking up some tips on making the game fun for ME and MY GROUP.
You were doing so well until this part. What part of your rational judgment thought posting this was a good and productive idea? So I will tell you something. I'm getting really sick of your strawmen, tantrums, and passive aggressive jabs at others. Not every conversation in this thread is about people trying to dictate your fun. Not every point of disagreement is about you. This is not shifting goal posts. And depicting others who disagree with you as engaging in willful ignorance or having some sort of ulterior agenda? Seriously. You are the one being a Rude Gus in your own thread. It's not cool. Cut it out.

Thats my point, if magic is like gravity then even the most "mundane" of items has it.
I would say that it is less like gravity and more like radiation. We may not think of everything mundane as "radioactive," only reserving the term possessing a level of radiation that defies our sense of norm or danger, but radioactive forces are nevertheless there.

Exactly. You can take literally any mechanic and make arguments about how it is or is not meta, as you like. That's all Emerikol is doing. He has preferences...logically consistent preferences, I will grant...for the kinds of mechanics he likes, which is cool (if a bit quixotic, given his specific flavor of zealotry). The rest is just an attempt to persuade others, despite protestations to the contrary, that he's "right". Whatever that means.
I don't think that metagame mechanics, however, represents accurate terminology. Hence why it's odd for some to have "metagame" and "metagame mechanics" being used to refer to a person's "bogeyman mechanics." And so perhaps the more accurate terms should have been established much earlier in the thread, though I think that @Morrus;

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I would say that it is less like gravity and more like radiation. We may not think of everything mundane as "radioactive," only reserving the term possessing a level of radiation that defies our sense of norm or danger, but radioactive forces are nevertheless there.

Well there was Glantri City which was built over the magic reactor.

Sadras

Legend
That entire world in D&D is presumed magical. You are trying to apply a modernist mindset that distinguishes between the mundane and the magical to a world that presumes a premodern worldview wherein the supernatural, magical, and irrational are infused into everything of the cosmos. Everything. In such a worldview, whether you are playing 0E-5E, there is no "just a mundane person" in this world. The supernatural infuses every fiber of the world, and this is abundantly evident in the Great Wheel and D&D's other various cosmologies.

Your last line here - is this similar to the idea where if God creates everything hence we are all God or God-infused?

pemerton

Legend
No. It's simply illustrative that HP in D&D are metagame information.

The OP defined metagame information and asked for games which may or may not use it to a greater or lesser degree. Metagame was defined as making decisions as a character without the information that character would have.

I provided the information a player has:

You're standing on a bridge leaning on your spear. You're tired and got a sore back from having slept badly on rough ground. You've got a vivid bruise on your right arm and scraped knuckles on that hand.

A player can make a reasoned and well-informed decision about the health and wellbeing of this character with just this information in Runequest 2. In Runequest 3. In Apocalypse World. In FATE. In Call of Cthulhu. In Traveller. In Pendragon. In Dogs in the Vineyard. In Sorcerer. In the Riddle of Steel. In Warhammer FRP. In game after game after game.
Just for fun:

In Rolemaster, the tiredeness and sore back from sleeping on the ground sounds like a -10 penalty or thereabouts; the vivid bruise sounds like -5; and the scraped knuckles are not a penalty. Given that the knuckles are still scraped that means that there has been no recent healing of concussion hits, so the character is probably down 5 or so hits from the knuckles. From the description, it's hard to tell whether or not the hp that were lost to the bruise (probably 10 or so) have been recovered - because they might be recovered magically yet the bruise linger on (if they have been recovered by resting, the bruise would have healed up also, to some extent if not fully).

In Burning Wheel, the tiredness and sore back is probably a 1 or 2 die penalty to Forte from a failed roll to avoid tax from sleeping rough; the bruise is a light injury, so a 1 die wound penalty; and the scraped knuckes are probably just colour.

In 4e, that character is down 1 healing surge from the failed skill challenge to get a good night's rest, possibly some further number of HS that we can't tell from the description, and otherwise is at full hp. The bruise and scraped knuckles are just colour. (It might be different if the character was in combat, but the descriptions seems to imply that a short rest has taken place leading up to the bridge scene. But if the PC was down hp, or at zero surges, the narration would have to include exhaustion, stress etc from more than just the bad sleep.)

In Cortex+ Heroic, it's hard to say but it sounds like 1d6 or 1d8 physical stress (enough to matter, not enough to take the character down).​

The BW example is maybe the most interesting, because it shows how you can be abstract without being meta.

Aldarc

Legend
Your last line here - is this similar to the idea where if God creates everything hence we are all God or God-infused?
Maybe. Possibly to an extent. For me, it comes from how saturated with magic everything in D&D's worldview is and how the cosmology of the world have implications and effects in the Prime. Our norm is simply not their norm. Sure we cannot understand it and we inescapably think from modernist perspectives, but nothing about their world is "mundane" or free from magic. You can't be free from magic anymore than you can be free from radioactive forces. It happens to you and within you all the time. The game even presumes that you are infused with magic. We see this idea of the pervasiveness of magic in the wizard flavor text:
Drawing on the subtle weave of magic that permeates the cosmos, wizards cast spells of explosive fire, arcing lightning, subtle deception, and brute-force mind control.
Or with spellcasting:
Magic permeates the worlds of D&D and most often appears in the form of a spell.
A spell is a discrete magical effect, a single shaping of the magical energies that suffuse the multiverse into a specific, limited expression. In casting a spell, a character carefully plucks at the invisible strands of raw magic suffusing the world, pins them in place in a particular pattern, sets them vibrating in a specific way, and then releases them to unleash the desired effect--in most cases, all in the span of seconds.
Not everyone may be a spell-caster, but everyone is presumed quintessentially magical in D&D.

In contrast to the stark scientific materialism of our Modernist worldview, D&D unequivocally asserts that all creatures have souls! See the spell description for Resurrection and Magic Jar. And I would say that, yes, the presence of souls would be indicative of magical forces that are an innate part of D&D's anthropology. And likewise see the description of "ki" from monks:
Monks make careful study of a magical energy that most monastic traditions call ki. This energy is an element of the magic that suffuses the multiverse—specifically, the element that flows through living bodies.
Though monks are the only ones who may call this energy ki and harness in ways particular to their class, the text here indicates that this magical ki energy flows naturally through all living bodies. This would naturally include creatures who take up the mantle of "fighter" or that Level 0 Joe Dirt Farmer.

And we see that the world is innately supernatural and magic in the Ranger and Druid description as well:
Thanks to their familiarity with the wilds, rangers acquire the ability to cast spells that harness nature’s power, much as a druid does.
Druids revere nature above all, gaining their spells and other magical powers either from the force of nature itself or from a nature deity.
For druids, nature exists in a precarious balance. The four elements that make up a world—air, earth, fire, and water—must remain in equilibrium. If one element were to gain power over the others, the world could be destroyed, drawn into one of the elemental planes and broken apart into its component elements.
D&D presupposes an incredibly different composition of human beings and the natural world. The world operates by a different set of physics and metaphysics. This presents the idea that nature - by which we should not distinguish between humans and everything else - has an inherent magical power.

There is not even a concept of mundane words and music in D&D! The bard description, for example, asserts this about "the worlds of D&D":
In the worlds of D&D, words and music are not just vibrations of air, but vocalizations with power all their own. The bard is a master of song, speech, and the magic they contain.

But why stop there? Let me drop this 5E PHB piece as well:
The Weave of Magic

The worlds within the D&D multiverse are magical places. All existence is suffused with magical power, and potential energy lies untapped in every rock, stream, and living creature, and even in the air itself. Raw magic is the stuff of creation, the mute and mindless will of existence, permeating every bit of matter and present in every manifestation of energy throughout the multiverse.

Mortals can’t directly shape this raw magic. Instead, they make use of a fabric of magic, a kind of interface between the will of a spellcaster and the stuff of raw magic. The spellcasters of the Forgotten Realms call it the Weave and recognize its essence as the goddess Mystra, but casters have varied ways of naming and visualizing this interface. By any name, without the Weave, raw magic is locked away and inaccessible; the most powerful archmage can’t light a candle with magic in an area where the Weave has been torn. But surrounded by the Weave, a spellcaster can shape lightning to blast foes, transport hundreds of miles in the blink of an eye, or even reverse death itself.

All magic depends on the Weave, though different kinds of magic access it in a variety of ways. The spells of wizards, warlocks, sorcerers, and bards are commonly called arcane magic. These spells rely on an understanding—learned or intuitive—of the workings of the Weave. The caster plucks directly at the strands of the Weave to create the desired effect. Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters also use arcane magic. The spells of clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers are called divine magic. These spellcasters’ access to the Weave is mediated by divine power—gods, the divine forces of nature, or the sacred weight of a paladin’s oath.

Whenever a magic effect is created, the threads of the Weave intertwine, twist, and fold to make the effect possible. When characters use divination spells such as detect magic or identify, they glimpse the Weave. A spell such as dispel magic smooths the Weave. Spells such as antimagic field rearrange the Weave so that magic flows around, rather than through, the area affected by the spell. And in places where the Weave is damaged or torn, magic works in unpredictable ways—or not at all.
So, yes, [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION], D&D does indeed have a baseline presumption about magic that amounts to more than a "neat setting idea." Also, I just noticed [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], that 5e established that this includes "every rock" in D&D as well.

/mic drop

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I'll take horribad character-speak over player-speak any day; as at least the horribad character-speaker is trying, and the results are almost always amusing and-or entertaining.
This has nothing to do with stance. Stance is an attempt to describe the relatoinship between player establishment of fiction and player motivation having regard to the player's special connection to the PC. It's not about talking in first or third person.

Whether you prefer first-person or third person narration by players to establish action declarations and shared fiction is a completely separate thing.

For instance, the following bit of narration (which also, in some systems, involves action declaration), is first person - but director stance:

Player (speaking in character): I hook up with the local dealers in contraband to get hold of some XYZ.​

In Classic Traveller that's a prelude to a Streetwise check; in Burning Wheel to a Circles check; in a typical D&D game there is no associated action declaration, but a GM might still accept it - "Sure, you're pretty sure you'll find someone fiting that descrition at any divy tavern in the Thieves' Quarter."

Despite being first person, it's director stance because it establishes some element of the shared fiction - namely, local contraband dealers the PC might hook up with - without that fiction itself being produced by the actions/choices of the PC.

Simple game mechanics dictate we can't stay in actor all the time - no character ever says "I rolled a 6, plus 2 for strength and three for magic weapon - did I hit?" to her opponent!
This has nothing to do with Stance either: a player saying those things is not trying to establish any shared fiction.

the quickest way to develop said grasp of character is to become that character, to the extent that game mechanics and other considerations allow.
This doesn't make sense. I can't literally become a character. I can decide to establish or author a character. Until that is done, there is nothing for me to "become" or to "grasp".

I'm playing Jocinda in a combat situation, Falstaffe is one of my fellow party members. The DM has just informed me that I've noticed an enemy sneaking up on unaware Falstaffe...

1. "Falstaffe, look out on your left!"
2. "I warn Falstaffe that he's got an enemy sneaking up on him."
3. "Jocinda warns Falstaffe that he's got an enemy sneaking up on him."

See the difference? The first puts me in the action - I'm playing the role of Jocinda and saying what she would say. The other two leave me remote from Jocinda the character
player-speak can give some excellent game play but in the end that's all it is - a player playing a game. The player isn't even trying* to inhabit the character, think what it thinks, speak the character's words, etc.
Author and Director stance point away from playing the character as a person and more towards playing it as a pawn
Where my definition of playing a role is that an actor on a stage plays a role - the lines he speaks, his facial expressions, the movements he makes (subject to the spatial restrictions of the stage) are those of the character he's portraying in the stage play.

<snip>

Playing the role of a PC at a game table is, IMO, the same thing; and it's where the "role-playing" side of the game comes from.
while both the author and director have a sense of character in that they've (usually) got a clear idea of what their characters are all about, what motivates them, etc.; only the actor has a sense of character in terms of actually being the character, inhabiting its personality and looking through its eyes. That's (ideally) what I'm after.
This likewise all seems confused.

For instance, actual actors aren't being motivated by what motivates the character. They are being motivated by things like the desire to give a good performance, the desire to present the character authentically, the desire to please the director, the desire to get paid, etc, etc.

As far as inhabitation is concerned, the notion that some forms of narration at the table are more apt to produce "inhabitation" than others is an empirical conjecture, and I don't think there's any real evidence of it. (The opposite I've seen be true: ie when a player is in an especially inhabiting mood, s/he is more likely to narrate in first person - but the narration is the effect, not the cause, of the inhabitation.)

And the idea that author or director stance is treating the character as a pawn is not plausible at all. In the case of director stance, consider the example I just gave - that's not treating the PC as a pawn at all. I'm going to give more examples not far below that make the same point for author stance.

most players are going to kind of default (vaguely) to one stance, use that as a base to drift from, and then return.
Huh? How does a player in (say) Moldvay Basic drfit to "director stance"? Or stay (vaguely or otherwise) in that stance?

And why would a player default to one stance, in games that invite players to inhabit multiple stances? There's no reason to think this is true at all. Eg in Burning Wheel, a player might quickly move from director stance (making a Circles check) to author stance (wondering whether to change a Belief) to actor stance (declaring an action for a PC having regard to established Beliefs - that's how the game works. In Classic Traveller a player might quickly move from actor stance (declaring an action for his/her PC because s/he is imaginging to what the PC would want, like say an Admin check to persuade an official to look the other way) to author stance (lending an item from his/her PC sheet to another player's PC, because that will help optimise the party for their mission) back to actor stance (griping that the borrowing PC is a bludger!).

There's a reason that every commentator who has written about player stances has concluded that they're highly fluid in play.

And these examples also shows us that there's no connection between author stance and treating the character as a pawn. Nor between stance and first/third person - all the stuff I just described could be narrated in first person.

Fate points are not primarily used for authoring though, but for acting. More often than not, Fate points are used when the Actor wants to embrace or lean into their role at important, key moments. And yes, Fate points may also be used in occurrences when the Actor may desire to provide more "authorship" over the setting in ways that are applicable to the setting. Because just like in the context of D&D: all actors are authors. They have created their characters and they have a sense of their character's identity and not everything of that sort needs to be done outside of gameplay. In Fate, this may entail points where the PC declares that "they know a guy who can help" or some other story detail (e.g., "I pull out anti-shark repellent out of my bat utility belt."). In this role, they are both Actor and Author; it is neither an either/or situation, as the Actor is developing their sense of character and roleplaying who that character is. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, inherently forces the Actor out of Actor stance when they spend a Fate point. I have watched entire games of Fate done entirely from 1st person, in-character speak and roleplaying as character. The decisions were made, rejected, and formulated from in-character perspectives.
This further illustrates the complete independence of Stance and "inhabitation" and "first person".

A player who "leans into" their role, deciding that this is the moment eg to reveal something profound about the character, is playing in author stance at that moment, but certainly need not cease to inhabit the character, nor drop out of first person narration.

Likewise a player who establishes (necessarily in director stance) that "I know a guy who can help", as per my example at the top of this post.

And for completeness, here's a repost of the definitions of stance:

Actor Stance: The person playing a character determines the character's decisions and actions using only knowledge and perceptions that the character would have. This stance does not necessarily include identifying with the character and feeling what he or she "feels," nor does it require in-character dialogue.

Author Stance: The person playing a character determines the character's decisions and actions based on the person's priorities, independently of the character’s knowledge and perceptions. Author Stance may or may not include a retroactive "motivation" of the character to perform the actions.

Director Stance: The person playing a character determines aspects of the environment relative to the character in some fashion, entirely separately from the character's knowledge or ability to influence events. Therefore the player has not only determined the character's actions, but the context, timing, and spatial circumstances of those actions, or even features of the world separate from the characters.

Much the same can be found at The Forge, where (as far as I know) the notion was first systematically developed. As far as I can see the blog that has been linked to has mostly copy-pasted Edwards 2001 text.

Remove ads