Travelling

Darth Shoju

First Post
Elaer said:
A suggestion: travel is usually glossed over because there is very little a player character can do to influence it, and usually, the actual means of travel matters little. Think about the scene in The Fellowship of the Ring (and I mean a movie) where the decision was made to go to Mines of Moria: in that case, the way the fellowship travelled mattered.

If travel breaks down into a series of Random Encounters, players are only going to enjoy it as much as they enjoy the encounter, and likely, they would have probably enjoyed the encounter more if it had a more direct bearing on the adventure than "it happened on the way."

For example, let us say that your playing in the Forgotten Realms, and you have from Uthmere, a small port town in the Great Dale, to Silverymoon. Make sure that you emphasize that there are different routes. The quickest might be to sail around the Vast and Impiltur up to the Moonsea, and then try and negotiate with the Bedine to cross the desert, and then proceed through the wilds of the north. This is among the most direct routes, but also travels through pirate waters, has the most difficult terrain, and almost all the people you might deal with are harsh towards outsiders, if not outright hostile. Perhaps you could have a captain heading for Hlondeth, on the southern shores of the Sea of Fallen Stars, who knows that you can book river passage down to the Lake of Steam, and from there, travel by water all the way to Waterdeep and join a caravan. Stress that this is a well-traveled trade route, but also could take months, perhaps the better part of a year. Or another ship sails for Cormyr, which would normally be a good compromise, but the recent battle with the Shades has resulted in lawlessness about the eastern border, and there are numerous humanoids growing bolder. But all this travel time can be avoided with magic, and one of the party members knows a Witch of Rasheman who might help, but the Great Dale is threatened by the blighted horde of the Rotting Man, and the only way to that land is straight through the contested area. And if the witch decides not to help, that's a week's travel in the completely wrong direction...

The trick is to give choices which have consequences, and those consequences are rooted in the campaign world. The real point of travel in an rpg is to set the tone and feel of the game, and you need to have history and a sense of reality to do that.

Wow, that was just an excellent post. I agree wholeheartedly. You've illustrated exactly what travel should be about and how it can bring the campaign setting to life. You even managed to make me want to play in FR, which normally isn't my cup of tea.

Well said. :cool:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I keep adding and adding to this thread...

Time - travel can also be used by the DM as a tool to relate to the players that the game world is a living place. Seasons pass, roads change, people grow up, towns are formed and go to ruin. Travel provides the chance to show this to the players.

I recommend a mix of the above.

1. Before a trip starts, show the players maps. I'm a hard-case, so my maps start out blank unless the players buy some or have traveled the way before. If all they know is to follow the Leedstown road then the map shows "here" and "there" connected by a straight line marked "leedstown road." After a bit of that they buy maps. (Which are sometimes wrong so I have my nifty plot hooks.)

2. Let the choose the route. After they discover that the "shortest" route passes through a swamp and that the "fastest" route involves a stone giant tribe, they will really get involved with their own destinies.

3. Decide in advance how you want the travel to go. Do *you* want to gloss over it? If so, wave your hands and say "the trip was surprisingly uneventful and your cleric gloats over how his prayers protected you." If not, have your encounters.

4. I would recommend "fast forwarding" between notable events. Not all notable events should be fights; other travelers, caravans, and animal herds should be noted. If the players say "eh, whatever" then move on. If they're smart they'll start talking to the travelers, specifically the ones coming from where the PCs are going, to learn the conditions ahead of them. If the PCs aren't that bright, have the other tavelers hail them!

5. For your ease of mind the first night out have the PCs define their marching orders, watch rotations, and spells cast daily (endure elements, commune w/nature, rope trick, etc).

6. Comment on the weather and use words they understand. "Miserable, dreary, gray, monotonous, and so windy you can barely hear someone talking thirty feet away." Even if there's no combat it will set the tone for the trip.

7. On long trips emphasize the conditions that are a result of their decisions. If all they bought was trail rations for a 120 day trip through the boondocks with no resupply, mention the phrase "trail ration" about 50-60 times when fast forwarding. Watch the clerics switch to casting "create food/water" or the rangers start hunting.

Jeph

Explorer
when things get heated up enough to require the attention of the PCs far off, events are typically moving too fast to make mundane travel an option. They usually scry some powerful mage, who in turn detects the sensor and scries them. They use the resulting videophone to arrange a deal for a scroll of Teleport or something similar and then zap in.

Until next level, when the mage actually gets to finally learn the damn thing.

alsih2o

First Post
there isn't a right answer, but there is a right answer for your group.

have them on a high spot where they can see a band or camp of orcs. if they go wide around or attack you have a clue.

next, have them see/hear/smell more bad guys, if they go around you know to gloss over the travel, if they charge every time you better start statting wilderness encounters :)

WizarDru

Adventurer
Elaer said:
A suggestion: travel is usually glossed over because there is very little a player character can do to influence it, and usually, the actual means of travel matters little. Think about the scene in The Fellowship of the Ring (and I mean a movie) where the decision was made to go to Mines of Moria: in that case, the way the fellowship travelled mattered.

If travel breaks down into a series of Random Encounters, players are only going to enjoy it as much as they enjoy the encounter, and likely, they would have probably enjoyed the encounter more if it had a more direct bearing on the adventure than "it happened on the way."

For example, let us say that your playing in the Forgotten Realms...
Word.

In my game, I usually hand-wave such travel over unless there are specific things to be mentioned, choices to be made or some tangible benefit. Mind-numbing discussion of the journey could degenerating to a public speaking event, not an RPG. Just throwing random encounters at the group can seem like you're wasting their time, if they're much more interested in getting to destination X to continue a story or advance their characters. The journey should be part of the adventure, or passed over quickly.

Mind you, all of this changes as the levels get higher. The party in my game are all 20th-21st level. Travel is now teleportations, shadow walks, planeshifts, gates, gateways and travelling through plants. The last journey of any time they undertook was on the Plane of Fire, to the City of Brass and then on to a gateway to a Demiplane called the Durance Vile. Last session, they captured an Astral Brig from an invading Githyanki force, and will probably use it at some point to bring the Incursion back to the Githyanki Queen herself.

Nifelhein

First Post
Great thread, wanted to make sure everyone around here had an opportunity to see it.

I am gonna start a Midnight campaign soon and as the setting implies it is almost about traveling, so I will never be able to just say: X days pass, things are to be difficult, they must keep the feeling of danger and distancee in their minds.

This thread helped me a lot on my considerations, thanks guys!

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
alsih2o said:
have them on a high spot where they can see a band or camp of orcs. if they go wide around or attack you have a clue.

next, have them see/hear/smell more bad guys, if they go around you know to gloss over the travel, if they charge every time you better start statting wilderness encounters :)
This is a really good call, Clay. This is the second campaign I've run with 4 of these players, and I've never seen them avoid a fight. I'll make sure I have a good collection of encounters ready for Sunday.

Also, I like the idea of having them meet fellow travellers on the road, but since they're in what are essentially trackless, permanently snow-covered mountains, I'm not sure it would be very likely. Hmm. perhaps some frozen bodies would be good, though. Sort of like that mummy they found in the alps some years back.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases