Shot on the Run, Manyshot and stuff :)

Azazu

First Post
Ok a few questions.

Say an archer has Shot on the Run and manyshot. (With all the prereqs)

And lets say that said archer has a 30' movement.

Can said archer move 20', Manyshoot (2 arrows, -4 to hit), and then move the other 10' of his movement as a standard action. And still have a move equiv. action for the round allowing him to move another 30' or draw a weapon or whatever?????????

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
No, it doesn't work.

Shot On The Run lets you take only a single attack action. Manyshot uses a standard action. So you can't do both at the same time.

Azazu

First Post
Well i know that there are two different thoughts on Manyshot being allowed to be used with SHot on the Run but the other part of my question is whether Shot on the Run is a Standard action allowing a move equivalant action after "Shooting on the Run"

Keith

First Post
OK, ignoring the Many Shot, the movement part of the question…well, the feat is: “When using the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.”
So, you can move 20’, attack, and move the other 10’. Then you are done for that turn. You use your actual move action for that movement, as I understand it, it is not created as part of the feat. I can see what you were thinking based on the text, though. It actually does imply that you get a full move action as part of that attack action, but I don’t think it means to.

Doc Century

First Post
Darklone said:
Nope, Manyshot and Shot on the run does not work together.

Why won't they work together? From what I can tell, Manyshot is a standard action. Shot on the Run let's you move before and after an attack with a ranged weapon. An attack action is a type of standard action. Am I missing something?

Keith

First Post
All attack actions are standard actions, but not all standard actions are attack actions. SOR allows only the attack action, not other standard actions such as MS.

I think that is how people are explaining the “no Many Shot” position. I have read that not combining those feats was intended to be part of the rules. I’ve also read that the text is clear in not allowing them to be combined, which I think may be slightly optimistic, given how many people don’t pick it up right away from reading the two feats.

Cheers

Doc Century

First Post
Keith said:
All attack actions are standard actions, but not all standard actions are attack actions. SOR allows only the attack action, not other standard actions such as MS.

I think that is how people are explaining the “no Many Shot” position. I have read that not combining those feats was intended to be part of the rules. I’ve also read that the text is clear in not allowing them to be combined, which I think may be slightly optimistic, given how many people don’t pick it up right away from reading the two feats.

Cheers

I understand what you're saying, but I still don't see that the two feats are mutually exclusive. I think Manyshot was classified as a "standard action" to make it clear that you can fire two (or more) arrows at one time as a single attack, instead of having to use a full-round action.

Since Shot on the Run uses an attack action, and an attack action is a type of standard action, and Manyshot counts as a standard action -- I just don't see the problem.

But, that's just my own myopic view!

Thanks!
Doc C

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't see why Manyshot and Shot on the Run wouldn't work together. The way I see it, Shot on the Run allows you to take your attack, which is a standard action, in the middle of a move action you're also making rather than before or after. I don't see any reason why that attack can't be a Manyshot attack.
I think the reason they're using attack action in the description for Shot on the Run is to indicate that it not part of the move action you're also taking but an attack action, which is a standard action. That will prevent you from then taking another attack action when your move action is otherwise done since you can't have more than one standard action in a round. I think they could have been more explicit in saying that doing a Shot on the Run (or Spring Attack) expends both a standard and move action.
And I agree that Manyshot is described as a standard action to indicate that although you are making multiple attacks, it is not a full round action.

Turns out I agree with Doc C since I'm now seeing his reply in the train as I'm editing this particular reply.

Remove ads