Hex or Fairy Fire?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

So I'm working on this character for an upcoming game, - a college of sword bard/hexblade - and I'm realizing I'm really not sure what spell he should be concentrating on.

On one hand, Hex has many clear advantages: damage, bonus action to cast, long duration. On the other hand, fairy fire really synergies well with the hexblade curse and it helps all my allies.

Thoughts?

I took Faerie Fire because I felt like Hex was a cheesy spell and I was very impressed with how well it performed. Advantage is a very powerful effect. I would most likely take the same spell again.

My character was not involved in melee, however.

Dausuul

Legend
Faerie fire has a couple of significant drawbacks over hex. First, it costs a regular action to cast rather than a bonus action; you give up a round of attacks for it. Second, it grants a saving throw.

I think it would depend on who else is in your party. Advantage on attack rolls is much more beneficial to martial characters than spellcasters. If you have a lot of casters, I'd go for hex. If most people are weapon-users, faerie fire looks better.

Tormyr

Adventurer
faerie fire is a nice see invisibility option at level 1.

Hex is great when you want to capture an enemy. Give them disadvantage on strength or dexterity checks as appropriate, and it is much more difficult for them to get away.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hello

So I'm working on this character for an upcoming game, - a college of sword bard/hexblade - and I'm realizing I'm really not sure what spell he should be concentrating on.

On one hand, Hex has many clear advantages: damage, bonus action to cast, long duration. On the other hand, fairy fire really synergies well with the hexblade curse and it helps all my allies.

Thoughts?

The fact that you are undecided just proves that both are good choices. You can't go wrong :)

As you say, Faerie Fire works as a team spell while Hex gives more personal benefits. Check with your group if the other PCs have special abilities that require advantage on attacks in order to be activated, and if that's the case with many PCs then consider choosing Faerie Fire, but really both spells are very good.

Hex is quite overrated at level 1 as a damage enhancer. It is an average of 3.5 damage per round. With hexblade curse you also need a bonus action to activate. If you are in melee chances are tha you lose it early. Same for fairy fire.

The saving grace for hex is no saving throw. Feary fire is an aoe and it also helps your allies.
Maybe you best bet is no casting any of those spells by default. Instead just rely on curse mainly.

Then decide in each combat what spell will give you more advantage. Or is it better saving your spells. Maybe the hexblades smite spell nets you more advantage.
That game is too complex to soelely rely on a single spell.

Remove ads