D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

PabloM

Adventurer
A 5.1 would be nice, 5E as is with a tidied up PHB and things like spell lists mentioning what classes have access to a'la 3.5/Pathfinder. Also a new index.

Ah, that would be very nice, but it is not a 5.x edition (I mean a revised edition), it´s a reorganized 5e. I like that.

fjw70

Adventurer
I am extremely happy with 5e and am not looking for anything soon (and don’t expect anything soon). 5e does strike a great balance between previous editions. It has a nice simple core and it is easy to convert earlier edition stuff. Besides D&D Beyond is still rampant no up. It is already great but continues to get better.

5E has been excellent. Though I do wish they would put out a revised Player’s Handbook that contains updates to a few subclasses and rules (like Rangers, Sorcerers, and Stealth).

I am also not opposed to 5.5 at aome point in the future.
3.5 improved some things (and did somw things very wrong).
Actually 5.1. Would be better.
The biggest problem with 3.5 however was that it was planned feom the beginning and that it was so different that it invalidated a lot of splat books.
I expect any update to 5 not to do that.

Dausuul

Legend
Need? No, we don't need one, any more than we needed 5E or 4E or 3E or 2E or 1E. We could still be playing OD&D today.

I do think it would be beneficial to have one eventually, though. I'm envisioning something like the 1E to 2E transition: The core of the system stays the same, and most old edition material can be easily adapted to the new, but a lot of stuff gets cleaned up and polished and streamlined, and the best splatbook material gets pulled into the core. It would provide the designers an opportunity to address all sorts of minor issues. Certain subclasses in the PHB that didn't really work and needed patching via splatbook (e.g., bladelock, beastmaster); the, shall we say, uneven performance of monsters in the Monster Manual; a couple of feats that need reining in; assorted oddities and counterintuitive bits in the rules.

However, the current edition has plenty of life left in it. I wouldn't want to see 6E rolled out until sometime in the 2020s.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I should state something...
I don't have a problem with 5e either. In fact, it's certainly my favorite edition so far, and holds up well. I don't expect a 6th edition to come out any time soon, but its inevitable rise does worry me. Releasing another edition would simply split the player base as further editions did. Maintaining 5e's profitability is difficult, but not impossible. Maintaining D&D's profitability through another few editions would be extraordinarily difficult. I yearn for the day WotC announces that 5e will be an evergreen edition.

However, I am a hypocrite, and would gladly buy any 6e products that would be released

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases