She Kills Monsters: Help Wanted

Bupp

Adventurer
Need help / advise on running a one shot.

TL;DR: Running a game for four women with no RPG experience at all. Looking for any tips on running and engaging the players.

My wife works for the theater department at the University of Pittsburgh. Later this year, they are putting on a production of She Kills Monsters, by Qui Nguyen. Both the set designer and the costume designer are having a bit of a block and aren't sure how to proceed. They have absolutely no experience with D&D or RPGs at all. They feel that playing the game will help give them a better understanding on what they are doing, and have asked me to run a game for them. My wife and another theater staff member will be joining us as well.

The players will be four women, late 20's to mid 40's with no knowledge of the game. I'm wanting to run something in the 5th-9th level range. I think that will give them some options as characters, and the power needed to do something suitably heroic, like end with a dragon fight or some other epic monster. Just not sure on what to run them thru. Suitable chances for role play and such should be available as well.

I'm going to be running a streamlined version of 5e, since that is the version I've been running recently. I already have a good idea of how I'm going to do it. For characters I'm going to get an idea of what each player is interested in playing. Kind of give them a run down of races and classes, see if their are any archetypes or characters from books, movies, or TV that they are drawn to. Then I'll make them all a pregen character to use on game night. I was wanting to skip character generation since this will all happen in one evening.

We will be having dinner, and drinks as well. I figure during dinner I can give them an easy rundown of the rules and after dinner we can get into playing.

I've taught groups of new players before, but they were ones looking to actively join the hobby. I'm pretty sure that this will be all of their only role playing experience going forward, so purely a one shot. [

I was looking for any advise on what to expect or any pitfalls to avoid. What kind of adventure to run? I'm willing to pick up some products, I've been eyeing up Sly Flourish's Fantastic Adventures or Kobold Press' Prepared. I do tend to like to start with a pre-written adventure that I personalize or ad-lib my way thru.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
First off, read the play. You need to know what it is that the players need explained. Character immersion is more important than what-is-a-gelatinous-cube. It's a great read. (It was produced this past year at UBC, and was the best-attended show in recent memory.) But the play models one style of play, and that should be emulated.

Secondly, I would not start new players at level 5+. More than two attacks/round for some characters are not needed and will slow down what you need to accomplish. (I can see a case for level 5 so that Fireball is on the table, but I would still not go that high.)

Third, You won't complete a full adventure in the night -- going through characters, and hitting 5 rooms in a short dungeon crawl -- will give them what they need.

Fourth, let them make some character choices at the beginning of the session. Once you have made most of the characters, have a shortlist of spells for casters to choose from; let them pick the background of pregen characters and adjust the skills accordingly; etc. Let them have some buy-in, and see that these choices matter. (Stacking language choices so that the option to talk to at least some of their opponents will be possible.).

Five. Your goal is to get them enthusiastic. Their enthusiasm has to communicate after this to their actors. Let them swing from chandeliers, make a tough moral choice, work together to achieve a victory, etc. More than anything else, that would seem to be your job in this situation -- to show them that this is an exciting means of effective storytelling that can create drama and passion.

Have fun!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The players will be four women, late 20's to mid 40's with no knowledge of the game. I'm wanting to run something in the 5th-9th level range. I think that will give them some options as characters, and the power needed to do something suitably heroic, like end with a dragon fight or some other epic monster. Just not sure on what to run them thru. Suitable chances for role play and such should be available as well.

I'm going to be running a streamlined version of 5e, since that is the version I've been running recently. I already have a good idea of how I'm going to do it. For characters I'm going to get an idea of what each player is interested in playing. Kind of give them a run down of races and classes, see if their are any archetypes or characters from books, movies, or TV that they are drawn to. Then I'll make them all a pregen character to use on game night. I was wanting to skip character generation since this will all happen in one evening.
...I was looking for any advise on what to expect or any pitfalls to avoid. What kind of adventure to run? I'm willing to pick up some products, I've been eyeing up Sly Flourish's Fantastic Adventures or Kobold Press' Prepared. I do tend to like to start with a pre-written adventure that I personalize or ad-lib my way thru.

I can't speak for every group of four women (impressive if I could, huh?), but the last (only) one I ran a game for definitely leaned toward the role-playing side of things. All the numbers I had prepared counted for just about jack and squat. So don't get too excited about that epic dragon fight.

I'd say you're much better off with level 1 or 2 PCs - the less that's on their character sheets is the less their eyes will glaze over.

Skipping char-gen is a good idea. Color-code the character sheets too; it should help you explain things like "ability bonus is in the blue section, and weapon damage is over there in red." The faster they wade through the rules is the more they can focus on the narrative.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I am familiar with the play and had a similar experience with my theater company. First off, I would definitely use pre-gens. Making characters is far more complicated and daunting for novices than actually playing the game - this is something the Starter Set gets right. You can offer a choice out of a batch of pre-gens.

Second, I'd suggest maybe level 3 instead of 5-10. I get what you're saying about wanting their characters to be capable and not too squishy, but for some new players running a tier 2 character is going to be too overwhelming- too many choices and strange abilities that normally they'd have grown into. A level 3 character is pretty durable and can take on some of the iconic d&d threats. Maybe not a dragon, but a displacer beast for sure.

As for what to run. They are probably going to love playing, but just in case they don't you want something that isn't too long. Consider a tier 1 Adventurer's League adventure , like The Black Road from season 5.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The play is apparently set in the 90s?

Use the D&D of the era - 5e is a fair substitute, but 2e or the Cyclopedia would be ideal.

Starting above 1st is a more modern practice, random rolled characters at 1st would be period. That or pregens from the back of an old module.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thinking more about this: for the play, I think the key thing they need to come away with is how narrative is generated. How the DM guides players, but it's their choices that shape what happens, and create emotional effects.

I also think that they would benefit greatly if you could let them borrow an early Monster Manual -- first or second edition, to help them shape design choices for various monsters. THen be available to them afterwards if they want to talk about such things.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I haven’t seen or read the play, but I know the general plot. How possible would it be to try and recreate the adventure that the play is about?

I’d try and hew closely to that so that the players possibly make more of a connection from the game to the play. I don’t think edition matters, but I agree that lower level is likely better for a game of this kind. In 5E, level 3 is a solid starting point that isn’t too overwhelming for new players.

aco175

Legend
Don't be afraid to use stereotypes. Grumpy dwarves and flighty elves may ground the game in the players preconceived notions, and it alerts them when someone is acting against how they are supposed to.

Set the scenes with some good descriptions. Picture Mos Eisley Cantena from Star Wars. The people stand out in that they are all different species, but the smoke and sounds stand out along with the uncaring demeanor after someone was killed.

One-shots sometimes require railroading and hand holding. Give them clear objectives and move to the dungeon. Don't give them options to stop at the supply shop or visit the church. Start them in the tavern where they can work into their character, or even start them with a fight where they get to roll dice up front.

Give pregens character in that you tell the player how to act and let them go with it. If you say that your character is afraid of snakes, have something like snakes carved into the door, but have them encounter spiders instead. Have fun

Bupp

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I will be starting at 3rd level.

I'll be using a modified character sheet, covering much less info.

I’m going to be doing something very similar myself quite soon.
I think the absolute simplest thing would be pregen L3 with them choosing their archetypes.
Honestly though I’m thinking of using Basic Red Box to more accurately emulate an older version of the game but use 5e’s to hit and AC rules, and then run Keep on the borderlands.

Remove ads