Taking Greenflame Blade and Booming blade all the way

Warpiglet

Adventurer
So for some time I have played blade pact warlocks. They are a favorite even before hexblade. Frankly, I don't like their flavor as much as fiend, but I digress.

I wondered about another way to get the playstyle I want with a different route.

I had considered taking a dragon sorcerer with greenflame blade. However, given a fighting background, I think a level of fighter or some other means to obtain armor would be appropriate.

So the question: with nothing more than a level in fighter or a level or two in warlock plus moderately armored and weapon master, how would greenflame blade play as a primary attack? I do not think it would in any way be overpowered though with resources could be quickened.

Going this route I think would be survivable. Essentially, I would play a front line armored sorcerer who uses greenflame blade and strength as primary stat (bored with hexblade).

I would also only take 1-2 levels in other classes for martial prowess/armor as being a spell slinger is primary consideration even if primary attack is melee.

Interested in any discussion...

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Use a quarterstaff, take Polearm Master and Warcaster - you can hit them with Booming Blade when they close with you, then again on your turn. If you can force them away from you as part of the attack, even better. A single level of Hexblade warlock, or 3 levels of warlock to get the pact of the Tome (Shillelagh) will allow you to use Charisma as your attack stat - so both your melee attack and spells will use the same stat.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
You could also take 3 levels in Sorcerer for Quicken Spell, and cast 2 GFBs per turn.

I am toying with one level fighter and then all dragon (fire) sorcerer. I am thinking about a lot of quickened GFBs...with a greatsword.

I am thinking it could be a bread and butter attack if resources (armor/martial weapons) are allocated. If fire damage after sorcerer 6, it would allow a spell caster to primarily be in melee range

CTurbo

Explorer
Stone Sorcerer would probably make a decent GFB/BB build.

I've played an Arcane Trickster that spammed BB all the time and it was great! Hit them and run away.

schnee

First Post
We had a Sorcerer do this in my game. Started Fighter, then Shadow Sorcerer. It worked OK, but he was a glass cannon. The few times he was hit in the front line hurt him enough to make him disengage immediately.

A pure Bladesinger with the Mobile feat seems like a good bet too. Bladesinging would make you an arcane swashbuckler, darting in and out to do damage then leave, unscathed. Haste for going big.

Last edited:

Warpiglet

Adventurer
We had a Sorcerer do this in my game. Started Fighter, then Shadow Sorcerer. It worked OK, but he was a glass cannon. The few times he was hit in the front line hurt him enough to make him disengage immediately.

A pure Bladesinger with the Mobile feat seems like a good bet too. Bladesinging would make you an arcane swashbuckler, darting in and out to do damage then leave, unscathed. Haste for going big.

my plan is to take tough feat and a con bonus. A 1d6+1 with a dragon sorcerer is only one HP a level than fighter. And if you start as fighter with a full 10 its only 9 HPs different by 10th level! This could easily be overcome with one false life spell...

With a single level of fighter, I don't think they have to be a glass cannon! Even consider heavy armor master...

I think my point is this: if you build for a brawler, you can be a brawler that acts like a fighter in many ways but has some spell ability too....

Gavin O.

First Post
my plan is to take tough feat and a con bonus. A 1d6+1 with a dragon sorcerer is only one HP a level than fighter. And if you start as fighter with a full 10 its only 9 HPs different by 10th level! This could easily be overcome with one false life spell...

With a single level of fighter, I don't think they have to be a glass cannon! Even consider heavy armor master...

I think my point is this: if you build for a brawler, you can be a brawler that acts like a fighter in many ways but has some spell ability too....

I'm just not sure of the reason you would want to play a Fighter/Sorcerer over a Paladin?

Remove ads