Are there any OD&D players out there? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes, completely agreed on the need for organization. And while I considered S&W and decided not to use it, I think it's an excellent product. What I love about these kinds of games is the conciseness that seems to leave open the possibilities. What I so thoroughly loved about D&D3, which at the time I thought was the pinnacle expression of AD&D, was completely [antithetical? perhaps not the right word] to what I came to love about OD&D.
    XP Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by reelo View Post
    Been digging into the OSR stuff for the last months and gravitating towards BX/LL/LotFP as my system of choice. I'm actually planning on running a sandbox/hexcrawl of my own design. I'm quite in love with the fact that there is no meta-plot to take care of and the classes juat get better, not more complex with advancing levels. Simpler times... Plus, procedural (random) generation of terrain, encounters, dungeons etc is a nice "sub-game" for the DM.
    I read someone post that said they broke out the hex crawl for OD&D, rules as written, for some modern D&D gamers, and their reaction to such a sand-box approach to roaming the countryside fighting monsters was so thrilling, and played so differently, that the players were astonished that they were related. Perhaps distantly related helps to understand the differences in game play. I think this kind of play does help people understand the war-game roots of the game better.
    XP reelo gave XP for this post

I'm interested, but from what I've gathered so far, I may be the only person for 100 mile radius of where I live, had a finder post in here @ a month, as well as three other sites, not one bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Moore View Post
    I'm interested, but from what I've gathered so far, I may be the only person for 100 mile radius of where I live, had a finder post in here @ a month, as well as three other sites, not one bite.
    Maybe try putting up a sign in yer FLGS (if you have one) saying you're looking to run an 0e D&D game; and see if anyone bites.

Only a very (!) small percentage of RPGers - mostly the hard-core nutballers - check sites like these; and someone not yet in the hobby at all almost certainly won't.
    XP Les Moore, Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mordorandor View Post
    I read someone post that said they broke out the hex crawl for OD&D, rules as written, for some modern D&D gamers, and their reaction to such a sand-box approach to roaming the countryside fighting monsters was so thrilling, and played so differently, that the players were astonished that they were related. Perhaps distantly related helps to understand the differences in game play. I think this kind of play does help people understand the war-game roots of the game better.
    After all, a wilderness hexmap is just a megadungeon without walls, and each room has 6 doors...
    XP Mordorandor, Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

Yeah, after I get back from vacation, I'll be setting up a notice in the local library. At this point I don't want to set up a game, just to
    postpone it a month.

After all, a wilderness hexmap is just a megadungeon without walls, and each room has 6 doors...
    I appreciate this style of play as a referee precisely because I too can be just as surprised by the results. As the “world” forms/evolves, I get to co-experience it with the players.
    XP reelo gave XP for this post

Me.
    XP Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

I've been looking at it for a while. Recently I found the "GLOG" and I've been very intrigued. *no* idea when I might get to play though ...

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com...01-rat-on.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fear not the slugman https://slugsandsilver.blogspot.com/
    XP Les Moore gave XP for this post

Filled with Soviet tank divisions because I got the AD&D map confused with the one from Stalingrad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply