Anger of Angels

Hardhead

Explorer
You can't reivew Anger of Angels in the normal reviews part of ENWorld, and I've never posted a review on the message boards before, so sorry if I put this in the wrong place. :)

Stars: ****

Anyway, I picked up Anger of Angels, the new book by Sean K. Reynolds today. And I have to say, it's going to be a *great* resource for campaigns in the Outer Planes (especially if you're an old-school Planescape player). Basically, it's a treatment of the Judeo-Christian Heaven and Angels, but "D&Dified."

Here's a quick overview: Chapter One is a brief history of "Heaven." Heaven is treated as the only good-aligned afterlife/plane here, but it's devided into seven heavens, and shares many traits with Mt. Celestia, and it's easily adaptable to that D&D plane. Also, most of the story that is told here is ancient and deals with a creation-of-the-fiends mythology, so obviously takes place in a very ancient time (perhaps back when there were less Outer Planes, as some old Planescape sources hinted). Either way, while the book doesn't try to fit into D&D cosmology, it's all still very adaptable to it.

Chapter Two talks about Angels in general, discussing gender, free will, and other important topics. One interesting idea, I thought, was a sidebar on "evil angels." Evil angels would be normal angels created to be evil from the begining (as opposed to fallen angels, that become so). Evil angel's jobs are to do thinks like destroy Saddam and Gomorrah, things no purely good being could do. They serve good dieties, but do "evil" in their name. Neat idea, and I wish it had a bit more room in the book.

The rest of Chapter Two gives us full descriptions of eleven "classical" angels, including the Cherubim (not the cupid-like ones we see today, the original bad ass ones), Malakim, Grigori, Seraphim, ect. And lists a dozen more in (very) short form. One interesting design decision was to create "weak" angels. For instance, a Malakim (what Michael is) has only two HD. However, the DM is supposed to give them class levels as well, so that two Malakim can be very different. It's not a traditional MM-style writeup at all. While this is handy if you're going to play in a campaign where the players are angels (something this book is designed to let you do) or if you're going to have lots of Angel NPCs, this is less useful as on-the-fly NPCs to fight (though, I suppose, players don't fight angels very often). I'm not sure if I like this or not.

Chapter Three is all about Angel Politics, roles, et cetera. It also discusses how they interact with mortals, ranging from how they appear to them to what exactly happenshappens when they're summoned. That kind of thing. It's actually all very interesting. Trust me.

Chapter Four is the geogprahy of heaven and hell. This is actually a relatively short chapter, which is unfortunate since I found it so interesting. Several sites in this chapter could fit into D&D planes like a glove.

Chapter Five is all about specific angels, mainly the Archangels. This is a really neat part of the book. The seven Archangels basically serve as good counterparts for the Demon Princes and the Lords of the Nine. The ones detailed are Gabriel, Michael, Raguel, Raphael, Remiel, Uriel, Zerachiel, and Metatron (aka The Word, who may be a/the God incarnate, and not really an angel).

For instance, this is what he has to say about Uriel:

Uriel
LG cherub Pal20/Angel of Destruction5/Angel
of Terror5

Archangel Uriel (“fire of god”) is a mighty angel whose martial
powers are second only to Archangel Michael’s. He is the Angel
of Chance†, Fire†, Libra (see Angel of the Zodiac†), Lightning†,
Music†, and Repentance†, as well as regent of the sun and an
angel of prophecy and salvation. He watches over thunder and
terror, meaning that all other Angels of Lightning answer to
him. He is captain of the angels of terror who guard the divine
thrones. When Adam and Even were banished from Eden, Uriel
guarded the gate of Eden with his flaming sword to prevent
them from returning. Later, Uriel helped bury Adam in Heaven
and was sent to warn Noah of the flood. He is known throughout
all of Heaven for his sharp eyes, sharp mind, and his objective
and impersonal manner in implementing his superior’s will.
When the Last Judgment comes, he will break the adamantine
gates in Hell so that all waiting souls may come forth to be
judged, even the ancient beings and monsters imprisoned since
the elder days.
When interacting with mortals, Uriel prefers a regal-looking and
physically impressive male form with light-colored close-cut hair.
He is never without his fiery sword.
Favored Weapon: Longsword; Domains: Good, Fire, Law,
Prophecy†, Sun,War

Unfortunately, the Archangels are missing full stat writeups. Apparently, knowing their angelic "race," class, and Dominion feats, we're supposed to work them out ourselves. Boo! Hiss!

Lastly, this chapter is rounded out by giving brief descprtions of a couple dozen more angels. For example:

Penemue (NE grigori Wiz10): Penemue (“the inside”) was
once Penemuel, a grigori sent to the Material Plane to educate
mortals. Once known for his ability to cure disorders of the mind
as well as stupidity itself, he transgressed against Heaven by teaching
mortals writing, which at the time was forbidden because it
could corrupt mortal thought. Angry at this unreasonable edict, he
rebelled against Heaven and is thought to still wander the mortal
world to this day.

Chapter Six is all about organizations. One interesting one is the Council of Wings, a group of Fiends and Angels alike who are just tired of the constant war for mortal souls. I mean, really, they've been doing it for millenia and they can only take so much. They're just weary of the constant battle, and so they're working to end the war, or at least minimize it. Obviously, neither side is happy about the Council's existence.

Chapter Seven is feats. Most require being an angel (or a fiend in some cases), and so are for further angelic customization. Many can also be taken by half-celestials and aasimar. Many of the feats are "Dominion" feats and can only bestowed upon an angel by a god. These are named as "Angel of Hope," "Angel of Baptisim," "Angel of Repentance," ect. These are all more powerful than normal feats, but hey, they're only for Angels chosen by their god, so it figures. :)

Chapter Eight is Prestige Classes, all generally for Angels. Angel of Death, Angel of Destruction, Angel of Terror. This chapter is very short.

Chapter Nine is Magic. It has a few new items, a seven new domains (chant, fiendslayer, grail, heaven, martyr, prophecy, righteousness), and about 30 new spells that angels and fiends often use against each other (but can just as well be used by/against PCs, for the most part). One interesting solution to bringing outsiders back to life is here, with spells like Fiendish Reincarnation, that lets you bring a fiend back, but as a lower-HD creature (for instance, a Pit Fiend could be brought back as a Glugeon). Then, he'd have to work for promotion to Pit Fiend all over again.

Chapter Ten is Creatures. A few new fiends populate these pages, along with a "Fallen" template for Angels that have turned evil but aren't any specific type of fiend, and some Angel NPCs that helps fix the problem of no MM-style entries for Angels in Chapter Two.

Overall, it's a good book, and I gave it four stars. However, if your campaign doesn't make use of the planes or celestials very often, it will be significantly less useful for you than it will be for me. But for what it is - a D&D treatment of angels - it's very good.

Though it has it's flaws, it's a wonderful take on the good side of Outsiders. While I think D&D "evil" has benefited immensely by adapting real-word mythology, much of this has been lacking from the "good" side, simply because authors have been hesitant to use Judeo-Christian mythology in D&D. Anger of Angels remedies this nicely. The one sticking point to me is price. At $10, it's an expensive pdf, even if it is 128 pages. Honestly, you may want to wait for the shelf version for this one if you don't have easy means of printing.

Last edited:

tsadkiel

Legend
Hardhead said:
Lastly, this chapter is rounded out by giving brief descprtions of a couple dozen more angels.

A silly question - is my namesake listed here, in either the "Tsadkiel" or "Zadkiel" spelling?

Hardhead

Explorer
A silly question - is my namesake listed here, in either the "Tsadkiel" or "Zadkiel" spelling?

Yup.

Zadkiel (LG hashmalite Pal15): Zadkiel (“righteousness of god”) is an angel of benevolence, mercy, and memory. He is a leader of the military hashmalim, and he is sometimes listed as an archangel. When Archangel Michael goes into battle, Zadkiel is one of the two angels who carries Michael’s battle standard.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
You can post a review of this product. You will need a seperate log in for the review sectio. You can use the same handle that you use here, you just need to sign up seperately there. Once done from this page:

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=malh_angels

on the left hand side you'll see a button that says "add review for this product" Click that and you can post you're review. If you have any questions, please ask :D

Hardhead

Explorer
Crothian said:
You can post a review of this product. You will need a seperate log in for the review sectio. You can use the same handle that you use here, you just need to sign up seperately there. Once done from this page:

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=currentprod&which=malh_angels

on the left hand side you'll see a button that says "add review for this product" Click that and you can post you're review. If you have any questions, please ask :D

Hmmm, that's strange. I could have sworn it wasn't in the pull-down menu when I was trying to select it as the product I wanted to review. Thanks!

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Hardhead said:
Hmmm, that's strange. I could have sworn it wasn't in the pull-down menu when I was trying to select it as the product I wanted to review. Thanks!

I recomend finding the product and then posting a review from it. That pull down menu can be hard to use and there are just so many products it is really easy to miss the one you are looking for.

tsadkiel

Legend
Hardhead said:
Yup.

Zadkiel (LG hashmalite Pal15): Zadkiel (“righteousness of god”) is an angel of benevolence, mercy, and memory. He is a leader of the military hashmalim, and he is sometimes listed as an archangel. When Archangel Michael goes into battle, Zadkiel is one of the two angels who carries Michael’s battle standard.

Woot. Thanks!

Hardhead

Explorer
Crothian said:
I recomend finding the product and then posting a review from it. That pull down menu can be hard to use and there are just so many products it is really easy to miss the one you are looking for.

I spoke too soon. It still doesn't work. When I click "add a new reivew for this product," it takes me to a page where the drop-down menu is blank, and when I scroll it down to the Malhavoc Press prodcuts, Anger of Angels isn't one of the ones listed for review.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Hardhead said:
I spoke too soon. It still doesn't work. When I click "add a new reivew for this product," it takes me to a page where the drop-down menu is blank, and when I scroll it down to the Malhavoc Press prodcuts, Anger of Angels isn't one of the ones listed for review.

My apologies. I needed to list the product as availible first. Try now and it should work.

Remove ads