Multi classing Objections: Rules vs. Fluff?

Oofta

Legend
That was kind of my point. Sorcerers can be rationalised as a MC at any point, without necessarily any anchors to the character's previous history or encounters. In your case, if the PC is already a sorcerer and wants to MC into a Fighter, say, to me that's fine (assuming there is a reasonablly compelling desire to do so).

It's when someone randomly decides that they fancy BOOM WILD MAGIC MANIFESTS that makes me stroke my beard as to their reasons. Obviously, there can be perfectly good reasons to do so. However, it mjst be said that in the middle of a campaign, suddenly having sorcery bubble up through you would be a fairly major development, story wise.

There is a reason the Quick Build suggested background is Hermit for Sorcerers - it carries the implication that (a) those around the sorcerer drove them away, probably muttering darkly about the evil eye and almost certainly whilst waving a combination of pitchfork, torch, feathers and tar, (b) the newbie sorcerer went off into the wilds to explore these strange new powers/come to metaphysical terms with the changes to their being, their very essence, that it indicates (glancing from their glowing hands to the freshly-incinerated goatherd yonder whilst whispering "what...am I? I...I don't know anymore" as the rudderless ungulates mill around their legs), or (c) both.

This is all presumed to have taken place before the adventures start, off-camera, so to speak, and represents a major part of the character's personality and motivations. So when it happens at, say, Level 6, it's gonna be a Big Deal to that person, regardless of their prior class. I mean, just osme of the reactions one might expect:
Fighter: "So, I'm a wizard now? Wtf?"
Cleric: "Why do I need the gods when I am myself a source of raw magical power?"
Barbarian: "Throg make boom. Throg scared of self"
Bard: "Woah! Omg omg omg this would make a really kewl story! How does it work? I mean, I didn't sing or anything! I gotta work this out this out for myself"
Druid: "Ah. Am I closer to nature now? Or further away? Is this refined sugar magic as natural as my demerara version I'm used to? I think I shall be a badger for a while and have a think about this"
Warlock: "Pfft! Who needs Asmoxyleucreuxerces anyway? I'm a Bad Ass without any patronage now! Stupid name, anyway."
Wizard: "Really? REALLY?? All those years of study in the Arcanum without getting a tan or a sex life was for NOTHING?" /tears up spellbook in inchoate rage
Ranger: "I'm no longer following these tracks. I AM the tracks. And the woods they're made in. My God, I...I think I just Drizz't on myself"
Rogue: "YES! I totally just stole RAW MAGICAL AWESOME. I am the BEST thief in the whole world! Shazam! Hey, guys, check out what I can d..." WILD MAGIC SURGE FIREBALL "Uh..guys? Guys?"

Yeah, I'm messing around here. But you get the idea. To me, if you start as a Sorcerer, MC away, for sure. So long as somethign compels you to do it, character-wise. But a sudden MC into Sorcerer seems like a cop out. I'd be more inclined to say, OK, you gain the Magic Initiate (Sorcerer) Feat, instead.

But that's just me.

I find myself sometimes having to remind myself that different people play for different reasons. For some people D&D is a tactical war game/MMO and their character's story is thinner than the paper the stats are written on. That it's okay as long as they're having fun and are fun to play with.

Which is explicitly not the case, so you considered them to be something they were not. If you mean that as a metaphor, of course, it might not be entirely unreasonable, but that didn't seem to be the way you stated it. Certainly, with as much rancor as the false statement "fighters cast spells" caused in the edition war (and with vast irony, as little as the true statement "fighters in 5e can cast spells," provokes the same) it would be, at best, a poor choice of metaphor.
If you see irony here, then as experienced an edition warrior as you are, you have somehow failed to apprehend the fundamental nature of the disagreement you are currently allowing yourself to be trolled over. 5E eldritch knights can cast spells, which are described in the fluff as spells and justified by the character studying magic. 4E fighters could create effects which to many people seem obviously magical, but which the fluff "explicitly" denies to be. You seem to be under the impression that citing that denial is a silver-bullet solution to the problem, but really it's just restating the problem. To your opponents, it looks like a contradiction of the objective facts about what the character is doing. Ridiculous, dissonant, possibly even disingenuous.

If there'd been a line in the PHB to the effect that everything the wizard does is just card tricks, would you (a) accept and repeat the line as incontrovertible proof that the wizard isn't magical, or (b) think the line is stupid? Because that's how the people you're addressing feel about the fighter. I'm not asking you to agree with them. But I am asking you to understand them well enough to realize that "it's not magic because the book says it's not" is unlikely to be a productive avenue of argument.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Obviously you are playing the game wrong if you don't play it like I do. A cthullu plushie as a pact familiar? That's just udderly ridiculous.

Hey, it's not as ridiculous as a druid/paladin/monk/warlock/wizard

My favorite tactic starts with wildshaping into a kitten. Next, comes the hypnotic gaze to enthrall my foe; My DM ruled that doing so as a kitten doubles up on the hypnotic powerso the foe rolls his save at disadvantage. Then, next round I hit him with a stunning paw. It's so cute, the foe can't help but be charmed and starts fighting for my side.

Tony Vargas

Legend
If you see irony here, then as experienced an edition warrior as you are, you have somehow failed to apprehend the fundamental nature of the disagreement you are currently allowing yourself to be trolled over.
I'm proceeding in this discussion in as calm and considerate a manner as possible. That includes not assuming that Oofta is trolling, and not leaping to conclusions about the fundamental whatever underlying a statement.
So I'm engaging only with the statements, themselves.

5E eldritch knights can cast spells, which are described in the fluff as spells and justified by the character studying magic. 4E fighters could create effects which to many people seem obviously magical, but which the fluff "explicitly" denies to be.
The irony is in blithely accepting the arbitrary definition of what is and is not magic in one case, but bitterly denying it in the other, even though any definition of magic (a thing that, afterall, does not exist), is going to be arbitrary.

No 4e fighter power shot flames at his enemies or conjured monsters or did anything /obviously magical/, by any reasonable definition. They did things that were improbable, superhuman, or over-the-top-action-tropes, sure - more or less so depending on how you described them.
But not supernatural, and explicitly not magic, and mechanically as well as conceptually, quite distinct from casting spells.

You seem to be under the impression that citing that denial is a silver-bullet solution to the problem, but really it's just restating the problem. To your opponents, it looks like a contradiction of the objective facts about what the character is doing. Ridiculous, dissonant, possibly even disingenuous.
There are no objective facts about what the character is doing, the character exist only in imagination. The objective facts are there between the covers of the books (and in increasingly difficult to find errata). How you imagine what your character is doing when he uses his power was explicitly up to you as the player. So if you pictured something you found dissonant or ridiculous, the fault lay with your imagination or your judgement. If you found something someone else described dissonant or ridiculous, while they found it awesome, well, that's a difference of opinion...

If there'd been a line in the PHB to the effect that everything the wizard does is just card tricks, would you (a) accept and repeat the line as incontrovertible proof that the wizard isn't magical, or (b) think the line is stupid?
There is no such line, and it would in no way be comparable to what was in 4e.

However, a lot of D&D does stray into science-fantasy, based as some of it is on works like the Dying Earth. It would not be too crazy for a D&D campaign to eventually reveal that the 'magic' everyone's been using - even the finger-wiggling, gibberish-mumbling 'spellcasting' - was all just "sufficiently advanced technology," a reality-altering Krell Thought Machine at the world's core, like in Forbidden Planet, run by a rather eccentric AI, for instance.

Because that's how the people you're addressing feel about the fighter. I'm not asking you to agree with them. But I am asking you to understand them
I can't go jumping to conclusions about what they feel or why.
"it's not magic because the book says it's not" is unlikely to be a productive avenue of argument.
There's a lot more to it than just that. Exploits and spells have more keywords exclusive to eachother than just Martial and Arcane, and do quite different things. Typed damage, for instance. Most spells that do damage, do typed damage, virtually no martial attacks do. There is just no factual basis in the actual game itself for the assertion "fighters cast spells."

To get to any 'underlying disagreement,' we must first dispense with the factual misstatements. If that underlying disagreement cannot be expressed honestly, then, honestly, it has no standing, and must be dismissed out of hand.

I and my group were of the opinion that many martial powers were supernatural spell-like abilities
Again, that "opinion" is at odds with the facts - it's mushier and more ambiguous, but still clearly false.

that did not model actions a truly mundane fighter could achieve.
This, OTOH, is fair. (If I don't read it too literally... literally, of course any PC could model the actions a truly mundane character could achieve - eating lunch at the inn, walking down the street, chopping wood, etc, Rather, you point is that exploits /did/ model actions that a truly mundane person could not do, or at least, not attempt with even the slimmest hope of success or survival. For instance, the kinds of crazy things action heroes and figures in myth/legend/fantasy who would map to 'fighters' do all the time.)

A character or archetype in heroic fantasy that would be most closely modeled by a D&D fighter would certainly go around achieving things beyond what a truly mundane person could realistically do. They're extraordinary, even superhuman figures. A fighter limited in that way would not even 'belong' in the same game with other classes, not as a co-equal alternatives, anyway - an example of handling that kind of thing can be found in Ars Magicka.

Last edited:

I find myself sometimes having to remind myself that different people play for different reasons. For some people D&D is a tactical war game/MMO and their character's story is thinner than the paper the stats are written on. That it's okay as long as they're having fun and are fun to play with.
Totally agree. It's just now how *I* like to play. Others here play differently. Both sides are right, both sides are wrong. IRL, the two styles would result in different groups each playing their way. But on discusison boards and forums we are all sat metaphorically at the same table as everyone else and everyone wants to do things their way. Which is why, often, the internet can result in endless toing and froing (I know, those words should have hyphens, but I just like seeing them rhyme visually with 'boing'). I try to be as respectful of others' choices as I can, while stating my preferences and trying to do so with good humour.

But, really. I'm right. :lol:

Oofta

Legend
Again, that "opinion" is at odds with the facts - it's mushier and more ambiguous, but still clearly false.

This, OTOH, is fair. (If I don't read it too literally... literally, of course any PC could model the actions a truly mundane character could achieve - eating lunch at the inn, walking down the street, chopping wood, etc, Rather, you point is that exploits /did/ model actions that a truly mundane person could not do, or at least, not attempt with even the slimmest hope of success or survival. For instance, the kinds of crazy things action heroes and figures in myth/legend/fantasy who would map to 'fighters' do all the time.)

A character or archetype in heroic fantasy that would be most closely modeled by a D&D fighter would certainly go around achieving things beyond what a truly mundane person could realistically do. They're extraordinary, even superhuman figures. A fighter limited in that way would not even 'belong' in the same game with other classes, not as a co-equal alternatives, anyway - an example of handling that kind of thing can be found in Ars Magicka.

Okay. You've convinced me. We didn't really have opinions that differed from yours. No one ever has. Labeling a cow a pig makes it a pig. Have a good one.

Satyrn

First Post
Hey, it's not as ridiculous as a druid/paladin/monk/warlock/wizard

My favorite tactic starts with wildshaping into a kitten. Next, comes the hypnotic gaze to enthrall my foe; My DM ruled that doing so as a kitten doubles up on the hypnotic powerso the foe rolls his save at disadvantage. Then, next round I hit him with a stunning paw. It's so cute, the foe can't help but be charmed and starts fighting for my side.

I forgot to stack a paladin's smite onto that stunning paw, which leaves the foe smitten by the kitten.

Oofta

Legend
I forgot to stack a paladin's smite onto that stunning paw, which leaves the foe smitten by the kitten.

Sounds purrfect.

download.jpg

Tony Vargas

Legend
Okay. You've convinced me. We didn't really have opinions that differed from yours.
Still not about opinions. You can lov4 or h4te 4e all you want. Whether to make it look better or worse, though, it's not constructive to say things about its content that do not match up with what's between the covers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases