Fork-thread function

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Quite some time ago there was a function in here that let you "fork" a thread - in effect start a new thread as a split-off from an existing one, with links etc. built in.

Does that function still exist, and if it does how does one access it?

Lan-"thanks in advance"-efan

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am not in charge of the technical side of things, but I believe that (and several other very nice functions) were provided by third-party plugins that eventually didn't keep up with the messageboard codebase, and so ceased functioning after various upgrades.

I think there's a manual way to do much the same thing. One second while I try it...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, what I thought works just fine...

Go the the post you want to use as the basis of the fork. Click Reply With Quote.

Copy the BBcode for the post-quote from the reply edit box.

Now, go start a new thread. Paste that BB code, including the "quote=username;postnumber" in the brackets into the post edit box for the first post.

The link back to the original post in its original thread will still work. If you are feeling industrous, you can manually reconstruct the old "Forked from..." link that originally appeared, as the forking module just put together BBcode for you.

CapnZapp

Legend
That quote links work across the entire forum is known. Hardly a true fork (since it's 99% "start a new thread") but thanks anyway.

CapnZapp

Legend
Quite some time ago there was a function in here that let you "fork" a thread - in effect start a new thread as a split-off from an existing one, with links etc. built in.
Do you remember how it looked like?

How did it work, as it were. (Not on the server side, obviously, but how did users interact with the fork and what was different from merely starting a new thread?)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Do you remember how it looked like?

How did it work, as it were. (Not on the server side, obviously, but how did users interact with the fork and what was different from merely starting a new thread?)
I seem to recall there was a "Fork Thread" button somewhere - maybe next to the "Reply to Thread" button below the last post? Clicking on this launched you into starting a new thread and put the links in for you, and (if memory serves) put a note in the original thread showing it had been forked, along with a link to the new thread.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, it was a third party hack for vbulletin 3.3. We are on 3.4 these days, and have been for many years. The modification is not compatible with this version of the software.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases