D&D 5E The footbow for 5E

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Here's a 3rd edition version:

This exotic weapon resembles a composite longbow but is designed to be used with stirrups, with the archer holding the bow in her feet and drawing it with one or both hands. like a composite longbow. [The Raptoran race would use these while flying, so it was described as being used in flight.] All footbows are made with a particular strength rating, and if your STR bonus is less, you attack with -2 [Disadvantage]. A default bow requires a 10 STR or higher. Each point of STR bonus granted by the bow adds 100g to its cost. A footbow may be fired with both hands pulling back on the bow, increasing the STR bonus to 1.5x.

A footbow is used while seated on the ground, but the archer must be prone to do so and takes a -4 penalty [disadvantage] on the attack roll. [Bows normally cannot be fired from a prone position.][If you've watched video of someone trying fire one of these, I don't know how the heck you aim them at anything, much less your ass is up in the air during your attack.]

Cost: 150gp base
Damage: 1d8 pierce + STR bonus*
Range: 110 / ? [and there's consideration that this bow requires a severe amount of arc. You can't really shoot it at anything in front of you. As such, it was an aerial weapon for D&D purposes, even though it historically did exist to shoot arrows really really far.]
Weight: 3lb

* The maximum STR bonus allowed is based on the STR requirement of the footbow. For example, a 14 STR footbow would cost 350gp and do up to 1d8+2 damage.

[You could consider upping the damage dice to 1d10, but a Footbow is a fairly impractical D&D weapon. It appears the primary advantage was to increase arced range, or for the aerial races, to fire using their feet. You might create a mechanic where if arms and legs are both used, the damage dice have advantage (take the best of two base die rolls).]

I don't think Loading is appropriate. This is just a big bow, not a crossbow that has to be cranked. The power comes from the use of leg muscles. Essentially the action is a squat thrust. Remember that the Prone condition is a huge disadvantage in itself.
If I'm visualizing this correctly, it's still not a weapon that could be fired with anything approaching Legolas-like speed. How does the IRL fire rate of a footbow compare to that of a longbow?

Dispater

Explorer
Its super slow. Not a weapon that is of any real use unless a siege or pitched battle. By introducing this you essentially get a super crossbow open to exploitation.

The "loading" property is actually far too minor to be realistic, heavy crossbows (arbalests) and a weapon like this couldn't get anywhere near a 1 shot per six seconds RoF.

Once you get three attacks per round even longbows become super-heroic!

Wulffolk

Explorer
I don't care for the ascetics of using a foot bow. I find them to be rather impractical for adventuring or any combat other than siege-craft. So, balance is irrelevant to me. I can't see something like this ever being used in one of my games.

I'd say you are always at disadvantage. After all, you can't see your target!

You are trading mobility and accuracy for range.

I can't imagine this being useful for anything other than massed fire at long range. Is there evidence it has ever been used in war?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases