D&D: The Board Game? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Best D&D board game is "Waterdeep", a worker/placement game.
    While technically probably true, I don't consider Waterdeep a D&D board game. The theme is completely pasted on.

I've heard good things about Tyrants of the Underdark but haven't played it myself, yet.

I also enjoy playing the various D&D Adventure System Games, but many feel that they're too simplistic.

Oh, and I think Roll Player deserves to be mentioned: It turns rolling up a D&D character into a board game!

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

How I wish I could find a dungeon crawler that came close to offering me the same experience I had with Hero Quest back in the day! I've tried various games from Fantasy Flight (Doom, Descent, and Imperial Assault), Shadows of Brimstone, D&D Adventure Games, etc.

Some minor customization and replayability, with fast play, little GM work/setup (which takes out Brimstone and the FF games), and balance with some GM oversight (which rules out D&D adventure games).

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by Retreater View Post
    How I wish I could find a dungeon crawler that came close to offering me the same experience I had with Hero Quest back in the day!
    Imho, the reason there's no dungeon crawler able to offer you the same experience as Hero Quest back in the day is that you're not the same person you were back in the day.

We sat down to play a session of Hero Quest last year and it really wasn't great. It was kind of fun to revisit the game for nostalgic reasons, but boy have board games evolved since then! However, having said that:
    XP MNblockhead, Jacob Lewis, GreyLord, reelo gave XP for this post

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaelen View Post
    Imho, the reason there's no dungeon crawler able to offer you the same experience as Hero Quest back in the day is that you're not the same person you were back in the day.

We sat down to play a session of Hero Quest last year and it really wasn't great. It was kind of fun to revisit the game for nostalgic reasons, but boy have board games evolved since then! However, having said that:
    I can agree that nostalgia is likely a big factor, but I think I would still like certain things about the game: ease of play, quick pace, GM interaction, etc.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

HeroQuest is great, but it's properly Warhammer. I have some Warhammer figs I use with it to supplement the base selection. At least it helped me get out of the killer DM and Monty Haul tendencies (sometimes both at the same time!) before I got into D&D. The guy in that video seems like he has a beef with GW or at least is parodying guys who bitch about them. Kind of amusing really.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

The D&D boardgame is Talisman with an expansion or two, so far as I am concerned.

Beware of including most of the expansions though, they wreck the game.

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by tgmoore View Post
    Im baffled why a mainstream boardgame publisher doesnt put out a simple dungeon crawler in the same vein as HeroQuest.
    Maybe because "simple" in the boardgame market is already saturated?

Meanwhile, there's Gloomhaven. Which is a complete miss in "simple setup"....

Novice (Lvl 1)

I also have some found memories of playing the dungeon board game when I was 10 years old. I really enjoyed this article.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Played Dungeon back in the day and even made a complete 3d board out of Hirst Arts to run at Conventions.

I have all the Warhammer Quest stuff and my kids always enjoyed playing that game more than Dungeon.

As I recall, TSR bought Dungeon in part to avoid potential conflict over the game name.

Quick Reply Quick Reply