OOTS 1130: Better Days

Well, that's just disappointing.

For starters, it was well established that the memories and conversations we see between VampDurkon and Durkon happen in "a split second, no matter how many memories" ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0948.html ). These parallel story frames should not be parallel.

Second, the entire point of the VampDurkon and Durkon discussions is that VampDurkon *wants* to get all the memories. And it's inevitable that he eventually will. The speed is only a matter of the victim's will save. The idea that getting access to everything would make VampDurkon become exactly like real Durkon is just... silly. If memories had the power to overthrow the internal vampire, VampDurkon would have been afraid of Durkon's memories, not encouraging him to give them up quicker.

I can (begrudgingly) accept that this is not a D+D vampire. I have a lot of trouble accepting that a completely Evil (that's a capital E) vampire that is also the high priest of the Evilest goddess we have met can be completely overthrown by a memory of of a loving mother. It just doesn't work for me.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yeah, the writing here is a rather prime-time television, being loose with the plot and rules of the story universe. It's not tight but still is emotionally effective.

being loose with the plot and rules of the story universe

That's a big part of why this bothers me. It would be fine in the context of, say, Doctor Who, where the rules are always intentionally vague and adaptable to the story.

But this is OotS, which was originally a comic based entirely on the rules of D+D. That's why the party exists the way it does, that's why the characters are who they are, and that's why I started reading (and that's why we post updates about OotS on a D+D message board!). I understand the necessity to dampen the D+D aspect as time and editions march on. I get that it's now just a comic in a fantasy setting. But this feels like we've made a complete 180.

Remove ads