D&D 5E Does anyone NOT expect the Artificer and Mystic to release with the final version of 'Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron'?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I could be wronge but it seems to me that Warforged were constructed by Artificers, in older versions of D&D Warforged could only be healed by artificers, Kalashtar are the embodiment of the perfect Mystic class race setup, and someone told me they were released together in prior editions.

With that in mind, the they mentioned their is another Artificer revision is around and the Mystic might be turned into the Psion class or released alone side it...

So do we think their has been enough playtesting in the background that they are hiding them with the intent to release them in the final version of 'Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron'? or do we think the Artificer and Mystic are not ready and will be released as another revision for additional playtesting it their latest form?

I lean toward them having more playtesting as UA and in the background than any subclass, while recognizing that they are the first full classes I still think they have been refined to a point of release and perhaps even have a 3rd unseen sub-class for artificers that we have not seen in UA.

Disclaimer: This is all speculation, so I am not expecting proof or anyone to be right. I'm really just curious to see what the communities opinion on this is.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I expect the artificer but not psionics.

So your thinking the Mystic and/or Psion class will need more playtesting and a few more UA revisions? I can see that with the Psion for sure but I haven't played the mystic so can't comment on the state.

Though, I mostly want the artificer.... So I would be ok with that.

Zardnaar

Legend
So your thinking the Mystic and/or Psion class will need more playtesting and a few more UA revisions? I can see that with the Psion for sure but I haven't played the mystic so can't comment on the state.

Though, I mostly want the artificer.... So I would be ok with that.

The artificer is iconic to Eberron, psionics is not. Psionics is iconic to Darksun though so if they had made Darksun I would expect psioncs with that.

Psionics is a bit more integrated into Eberron than most settings but you don't need it as such.

delericho

Legend
I could be wronge but it seems to me that Warforged were constructed by Artificers, in older versions of D&D Warforged could only be healed by artificers, Kalashtar are the embodiment of the perfect Mystic class race setup, and someone told me they were released together in prior editions.

I'm afraid not - psionics in 3e predates Eberron by several years. Indeed, psionics support was one of the first things they added to the game, releasing in March 2001.

With that in mind, the they mentioned their is another Artificer revision is around and the Mystic might be turned into the Psion class or released alone side it...

Like [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION], I expect the Artificer to be in the final version of WGtE, but not psionics. Though not for the same reason - I suspect Psionics support will require considerably more material than they'll want to give away for 'free' to all the people who have bought this PDF (they'll want to keep it for a hardback release... which, yes, probably means Dark Sun).

Psion is now the name for the Mystic class. They will not be two separate classes. And every bit of official comment made so far about the eventual finalized version of the PDF names the Artificer as being part of it, but there has not been a single mention of the Psion in relation to Eberron. It has also already been leaked that the August UA will be the next playtest version of the Artificer.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
The finalized Artificer will certainly be in the completed Wayfinder’s Guide. The matter of the Psion depends on what WotC is doing with Dark Sun and when. If that’s a property that’s being released in some formal fashion in the next year or so, I could see the Psion being released with that and built around it. However, I could likewise see a class being built to work with BOTH properties and released first in an Eberron book simply because that book is going out there first (and that allows psionic elements there to use the rules).

Yet, if the Psion is first printed inWGtE, I would guess it would end up also going into a future Dark Sun book — much as we’ve seen subclasses reprinted in other books — probably with additional options keyed around that psy-heavy world. That way, Dark Sun players don’t need to buy an Eberron book to play their system (nor do I imagine the psionics system to be large enough to necessitate its own book; I could see a DMs Guild document with the ruleset alone for other campaigns).

SuperTD

Explorer
Mike has said in the past on his Happy Fun Hour that Psionics is something they'd want to release alongside Dark Sun. Considering that the last version of the Mystic was over a year ago with no UA on it since, it had very mixed reviews, and that Mike has pretty much thrown the whole thing out and started from scratch, I think it's safe to say that psionics won't be any time soon.

He's also said that any new class would want to be playtested for around two years, or one year for a subclass (depending on satisfaction of the initial draft).

On the plus side, he also said something like (and apologies I can't remember which MMHFH it was in) "Psionics is something we'd want to release when we release Dark Sun - and I do mean when, not if."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They've said the Artificer is going in, but I wouldn't bet on the Psion. The WGtE itself is supposed to remain a DMsGuikd product, with maybe POD in the future: the Race/Class stuff may be used in a regular print product, but based on the Twitter conversation that is very fluid at this point.

Remathilis

Legend
Like most have said, I suspect artificer will make it into the WGoE, but psionics will wait until Dark Sun. Eberron has a place for psionics, but psionics isn't integral to the setting.

That said, I very much suspect the next setting to get a PDF will be Dark Sun, and I suspect it will look very similar in execution: A general overview of the setting, few new races (muls, thri-kreen, etc) and overview of the PHB stuff and how to fit it in Athas if you want, the Psion/Psionicist/Mystic/Fnarg class and any psionic subclasses, an updated equipment list for weapons/armor, and an overview on defiling. They will leave a fair amount of details (like classes) intentionally vague so that DMs can decide if they want the arcane bards of 3e/4e of the assassin nonmagical bards of 2e. I also would wager we see the first version of the Templar's Guide to Dark Sun sometime in late 2019 or 2020.

Remove ads