Pathfinder 2E [OOC] JM's "Doomsday Dawn" Pathfinder 2 Playtest Adventure. (Closed)

Kaodi

Hero
With armour potency runes and item quality do not stack it seems. But a legendary suit of armour with a +3 rune would not be pointless because it still gives you +3 saves over the non-magical version. I think it is likewise with weapons: the bonus to attack is an item bonus so does not stack with the quality level bonus to attack.

Kaodi

Hero
The thing I am not sure about: it kind of looks like weapons and armour have to have not just a potency rune of the desired value but the potency rune of every lesser value as well. So, for instance, a "fresh" +4 rune is the cost of a +4 rune plus a +3 rune plus a +2 rune plus a +1 rune. At least that is how I am reading it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The thing I am not sure about: it kind of looks like weapons and armour have to have not just a potency rune of the desired value but the potency rune of every lesser value as well. So, for instance, a "fresh" +4 rune is the cost of a +4 rune plus a +3 rune plus a +2 rune plus a +1 rune. At least that is how I am reading it.

That's not how i read it. It's just that if you want to have lower potency runes on higher quality armour, they give you the math to do it.

Edit: I see what you're talking about now. YET ANOTHER SECTION. Yeah, that's Runes. They're to upgrade already existing magic items, so they only go on items that are already enchanted one lower.

On the previous subject, though, regarding item bonuses... the Magic Armour does't say that the potency rune gives you an item bonus, it says it increases the item bonus: "The armor’s item bonus to AC and TAC increases by the potency value"

...Though apparently quality armour only reduces its armour check penalty.

So... even though you have to look all over the place to find this... it appears that if the character that I'm working on has +1 Expert Scale Mail... then he gets:

(Pg176) Scale Mail gives AC +3; TAC +1; and -2 ACP
(Pg190) Expert gives a lowers ACP by 1
(Pg397) Magic Armour +1 says your item bonus increases by 1 to AC and TAC and you gain a +1 item bonus to Saving Throws

So... +4 AC, +2 TAC, +1 to Saving Throws and -1 ACP.

That took me forever to figure out.

Last edited:

These are the rules for char gen of the second adventure. I'll update the RG thread once we get closer to the second adventure. (And I don't want to confuse Shayuri. :) )
LEVEL
Each PC should be 4th level.

BACKGROUNDS
Each player should choose a background from those listed on pages 38–39 of the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook.

LANGUAGES
Three languages— Auran, Gnoll, and Ancient Osiriani— might open up additional role-playing or investigatory opportunities in this chapter, and that they have access to those languages. However, knowledge of these languages isn’t required to complete the story.

PURCHASING GEAR
Each character begins with one 3rd-level item, two 2nd-level items, one 1st-level item, and 300 sp to spend on additional items. As the GM, you determine which items the PCs can start with, but they should have access to at least all common items of their level or lower. The characters already know each other, so they can pool their money to buy items.​

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Weirdly, the book says you get (as a 4th level character) 1 3rd, 2 2nd, and 1 1st level PERMANENT magic item. Unfortunately, there aren't any 1st level permanent items.

Radaceus

Adventurer
Weirdly, the book says you get (as a 4th level character) 1 3rd, 2 2nd, and 1 1st level PERMANENT magic item. Unfortunately, there aren't any 1st level permanent items.

there are 9 permanent items, 4 tools, 4 trinkets and a Dull Gray aeon stone (i want to pronounce that ioun stone... ;p ), on the 1st level item list

Radaceus

Adventurer
Granted, most of those are single use effect, I think the RAI is anything that is not a 'Consumable' is a 'Permanent' item?

vis a vis:

Party Treasure Gain pg 347 said:
The listed number of permanent items,
consumables, and currency represents a combination of
treasure hoards, the gear monsters and enemies have, and
rewards from other NPCs for the PCs’ accomplishments.

this reads to me as if these three categories are the groups that all treasure fall into.

Kaodi

Hero
Are the special adventure backgrounds not meant for the 4th level characters? Was just going to say I would finish making the 4th level version of my dwarf wizard and switch out Terran for Ancient Osiriani, but the wording is imprecise.

In any case, we are not waiting on me in the IC thread, are we? I know I did not explicitly say the exploration action I was using but I think I pretty definitively described it.

No, only the 1st level recurring characters use the adventure background. The other characters are there to test the normal backgrounds. But how is this imprecise?

BACKGROUNDS
Each player should choose a background from those listed on pages 38–39 of the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook.

The list of magic items in the book is for a party of a given level. The playtest rules above are for generating individual characters and thus supersede the rulebook. Also, purchasing gear in the playtest adventure doesn't care if the items are consumable or permanent.

As for the IC, I goofed. We are not in Exploration mode. That mode is for longer duration movement. We should be in encounter mode in the dungeon. (Exploration mode will occur in the next adventure where there's a long trek through the wilderness.)

I'll update the IC soon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases