D&D 5E Middle Earth and aSoIaF martial campaign

TLDR: Thoughts on a rare magic with no casters game?

So one of my big regrets with 5e (even though it is what I am playing I think 4e was my fav edition) was the backslide on the 'martial' classes. We often in the games I play, run and see around here have 2/3 to 100% casters. The last campaign we started we had a Ranger/Warlock a Warlock, a Cleric, a Paladin and a Sorcerer… so everyone has spells. Of the last 5 characters I have seen play fighters 3 of them where eldritch knight, and 1 of those was multi with wizard(bladesinger) to boot.

So me and some of my friends were talking about trying to get the group into a all (or at least mostly) martial party. I have a 3rd party book made for middle earth, and it has a bunch of non magic classes and subclasses in it. So we talked about using them, taking some 4e powers and 3.5 Bo9S powers and making them special boons you can train in if you find teachers, and running that way.

I got to thinking though, even with this party I as the DM would have to be careful of what to throw at the party... I am making my own world and so far I am drawing inspiration from Game of Thrones (a song of ice and fire) and Babylon 5 (witch took some ideas from middle earth to begin with) but I am doing it from the ground up. What do you think a D&D world would look like without common magic?

I describe it as "Rare but POWERFUL magic with a heavy leaning toward martial." The PCs would use Human (variant allowed), Half elf, Half orc, and Teifling as races...but all of the 'other' traits would be down played... (Like your great grandfather was an elf, or orc or demonic tainted something) so everyone would look more or less human. Our games normally just mix and match to make our own backgrounds, and the classes would be from the middle earth book.

middle earth classes Scholar, Slayer, Treasure Hunter, Wanderer, Warden, Warrior

I would love to hear everyones thoughts and ideas here.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I've been running a AiME game for a while now. I think it's a pretty good example of how to strip out the spellcasting system from 5e.

The big question is "What do you put it to replace spellcasting?" for example the AiME Wanderer class is the 5e Ranger with the spellcasting scrapped, and bonuses for AiMEs Journey system put in instead (and a fe other tweaks, but that's basically it).

This works really well since Journeys are a big part of AiME. If you aren't using Journeys your Wanderers will have less time to shine.

Which brings me to the Warden which is the Bard stripped of spellcasting with... not much put in its place. Likewise the Scholar has quite limited combat options.

Both of these classes were improved with the optional rules included in the Eaves of Mirkwood and Loremasters screen product. I highly recommend it.

I've been running a AiME game for a while now. I think it's a pretty good example of how to strip out the spellcasting system from 5e.

The big question is "What do you put it to replace spellcasting?" for example the AiME Wanderer class is the 5e Ranger with the spellcasting scrapped, and bonuses for AiMEs Journey system put in instead (and a fe other tweaks, but that's basically it).

This works really well since Journeys are a big part of AiME. If you aren't using Journeys your Wanderers will have less time to shine.

Which brings me to the Warden which is the Bard stripped of spellcasting with... not much put in its place. Likewise the Scholar has quite limited combat options.

Both of these classes were improved with the optional rules included in the Eaves of Mirkwood and Loremasters screen product. I highly recommend it.

I will have to check those out. Yes I agree the Scholar looked weak (but also the only real healer and it was weird) but I thought the wanderer would be OK even with normal overland rules...the warden I wasn't sure of. I know they have the inspiration dice and can use it later as a penalty to the attackers.

Slayer is 99% barbarian but without barbaric customs attached (although the heavy armor sub class is boarder line broken)
The treasure hunter is a dumb rename of the rogue.
Warriror is fighter

all three have new sub classes that make them simpler. I imagine an assassin or battlemaster would work fine in middle earth but maybe not theothers...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I will have to check those out. Yes I agree the Scholar looked weak (but also the only real healer and it was weird) but I thought the wanderer would be OK even with normal overland rules...the warden I wasn't sure of. I know they have the inspiration dice and can use it later as a penalty to the attackers.

Slayer is 99% barbarian but without barbaric customs attached (although the heavy armor sub class is boarder line broken)
The treasure hunter is a dumb rename of the rogue.
Warriror is fighter

all three have new sub classes that make them simpler. I imagine an assassin or battlemaster would work fine in middle earth but maybe not theothers...

as long as the Wanderer can express the fact that it's the Wilderness expert than you will be fine.

Battlemaster, Cavalier, and Champion would certainly be fine. Purple dragon knight/Banneret too. Thief and Assassin sure. Berserker and Battlerager would work (especially if you get rid of the Dwarf and Spiked armor requirement for Battlerager).

I love me some low magic options. I would love to see something like Monte Cook Presents: Iron Heroes for 5e.

I'm definitely going to look at the upcoming Witcher TTRPG and see what i can steal from it for my 5e game.

[MENTION=6802553]BookBarbarian[/MENTION] I only have the main book with the player content for middle earth, if I am homebrewing my own world would the lore book help?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
[MENTION=6802553]BookBarbarian[/MENTION] I only have the main book with the player content for middle earth, if I am homebrewing my own world would the lore book help?

It's focused on running a game in ME it has a lot of setting information, and expanded or alternate rules for Journeys and such.

So probably not.

Yea so I bought a book of hex paper and am going to make my own hex grid world (I have done paper maps before but always 100% out of scale)

That way I can somewhat use the journey system.

Draegn

Explorer
You could go to the Talislanta website and look at the most recent edition in the library. It is easy enough to use the paths as a base for a class. You have many military and thief paths that can be adopted.

Remove ads