Pathfinder 2 - Spell Potentness, or lack there-off

Amatiel

Explorer
Some of the spells seem a tad underpowered. For example Fire Ray, a 1st level spell does 1d6 + ability modifier. Telekinetic Projectile ​is a cantrip and does 1d10 damage and doesnt use a spell slot. I dunno. Seems like a crappy spell to me, and its not the only example. Thoughts?

Arakasius

First Post
Some things to note here. Fire Ray is a spell power that uses spell points (like 1e domain/school powers) so it’s not really a spell. Anyway both of these abilities auto heighten. As for differences we got this:

Fire Ray:
60 foot range
Can’t crit
Gets 1d6 dmg per caster level, eventually capping at 9d6+spell mod
Fire damage type

Telekenetic Projectile:
30 foot range
Depends on having something in the room to throw
Can crit
Scales every few levels, capping at 4d10+ spell mod dmg
Physical damage type

So I’m not sure who wins the damage war here on types but in pure numbers Fire Ray is slightly better. Both are likely better than any level 1-3 single target spell cast at original level once caster level gets past 5-6.

pemerton

Legend
Some of the spells seem a tad underpowered. For example Fire Ray, a 1st level spell does 1d6 + ability modifier. Telekinetic Projectile ​is a cantrip and does 1d10 damage and doesnt use a spell slot. I dunno. Seems like a crappy spell to me, and its not the only example. Thoughts?
Jus looking at those two spells, Fire Ray has better range and deals a ranged touch rather than ranged attack. And 1d6 + Stat will frequently be better than 1d10.

Horwath

Legend
Jus looking at those two spells, Fire Ray has better range and deals a ranged touch rather than ranged attack. And 1d6 + Stat will frequently be better than 1d10.

and as you will probably start with 18 int(16 min), you have 1d10(5,5) vs. 1d6+4(7,5)

I think a big part of the balance to stop LFQW in PF2 is nerfing the spells. Most people seem to be concentrating on but Ftrs only get feats, but almost all spells are a shadow of their PF1 selves. Sleep doesn't work in combat, really. Fly is very short duration. Charm is well and truly nerfed. etc. If you concentrate on class features and assume spells are still like their old PF1 counterparts, martials look weak. But taken with the reduction in spell 'power' I think it is closer to 5E's balance than 3E's, tho maybe not quite 4E's!

Arakasius

First Post
There is certainly room in there for blaster wizards. I think battlefield controllers (both summoners and save or suck) took a step back. But damage dealers might get a bump with critical failures being a thing. Even something like ray of frost which at level ten is 2d8 + mod is going to auto crit on most monsters because it’s against touch. Will be nice having a spammable 30-40 point damage spell. Getting your DC up or their saves down and getting a double dmg crit will be massive.

Remove ads