CHANGE MY MIND - Pathfinder 2.0 should change some of its terminology to make it a smoother transition from 1.0 to 2.0

Maul

Explorer
Hey guys and gals,

PREFACE: Only constructive and productive conversations wanted. If you want to be a negative Nancy, call your therapist. :)

With that said.

In this difficult time of transitioning from a game system that we have loved for some time now to a new one, I think that when doing so it should be as smooth of a transition as possible. And using familiar terminology in a more broad way would confuse new players and incite an unwillingness to change from one system to another. My personal opinion is that I think they need to call Racial Feats, Class Feats, and Skill Feats each something different so as to differentiate better between them and segway more smoothly into a new age of Pathfinder.

Racial Feats could be called something like Racial Aspects.

Class Feats could be simply be called Feats.

And Skill Feats could be called Skill Perks.

That way, from a vernacular standpoint, it would simplify conversations between DM and player. It would also be way less confusing for players of 1st edition Pathfinder and easier for them to segway into a new system if you didn't give the name "Feat" to a good percentage of whats associated with the new edition. For years, 1st edition players have been used to calling one smaller aspect of the game "Feats. Now, to associate that one word with roughly 50% of the new game mechanics, pun intended, throws them off their game.

Here comes the productive part.........Change My Mind....... Or agree with me........Or just add to the discussion.......Its up to you.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Hey guys and gals,

PREFACE: Only constructive and productive conversations wanted. If you want to be a negative Nancy, call your therapist. :)

With that said.

In this difficult time of transitioning from a game system that we have loved for some time now to a new one, I think that when doing so it should be as smooth of a transition as possible. And using familiar terminology in a more broad way would confuse new players and incite an unwillingness to change from one system to another. My personal opinion is that I think they need to call Racial Feats, Class Feats, and Skill Feats each something different so as to differentiate better between them and segway more smoothly into a new age of Pathfinder.

Racial Feats could be called something like Racial Aspects.

Class Feats could be simply be called Feats.

And Skill Feats could be called Skill Perks.

That way, from a vernacular standpoint, it would simplify conversations between DM and player. It would also be way less confusing for players of 1st edition Pathfinder and easier for them to segway into a new system if you didn't give the name "Feat" to a good percentage of whats associated with the new edition. For years, 1st edition players have been used to calling one smaller aspect of the game "Feats. Now, to associate that one word with roughly 50% of the new game mechanics, pun intended, throws them off their game.

Here comes the productive part.........Change My Mind....... Or agree with me........Or just add to the discussion.......Its up to you.

Class Feats = Class Abilities.
Multiclass feats and Prestige feats = Alternative Class Abilities.
General Feats, Skill Feats, Ancestry Feats = Feats.

No need to silo general feats and ancestry feats from skill feats, in my mind. You want to take 10 ancestry feats, go for it. You want to take 0, go for it.

Maul

Explorer
Class Feats = Class Abilities.
Multiclass feats and Prestige feats = Alternative Class Abilities.
General Feats, Skill Feats, Ancestry Feats = Feats.

No need to silo general feats and ancestry feats from skill feats, in my mind. You want to take 10 ancestry feats, go for it. You want to take 0, go for it.

That works too.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Unless by calling them all 'feats' they're intentionally leaving design space open to combine some or all of them at some point? Class feats in particular - maybe they're thinking of buyable or swappable class feats as an alternative to multiclassing?

Just spitballin'....

Kaodi

Hero
I do not see a need to change the names of feats (particularly since some kinds of feats can be bought with other kinds). But the obvious alternative name for ancestry feats is "inheritances".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases