4E What item daily rules do people use? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthanos View Post
    How about the philosophy that heros should be awesome because of themselves not their toys? i think that is why daily limits centered more around the hero make sense.

Think of it this way - My hero has 1 to 4 dailies of personal power AND they limited item dailies to be 1 to 3 dailies.

Your personal game took the powers items and personal power provide and melded them into boons which is rather huzzah but they are juggling where the awesome comes from and you don't have to.
    Well, as you point out, my operating philosophy is that its up to the players and the GM, by way of how they unfold the narrative, to arrive at an answer to this question. So, for example, there is a boon in HoML, 'Student of the Sword', which has a couple of "you wield your sword competently" powers you can pick up from it, plus you get proficiency with a type of sword.

You could recast that ('Embody' it in HoML parlance) as an item. Lets call it a 'Sword of Expertise'. It would have the same two powers attached to it, and presumably you'd wield it with proficiency whenever you used it.

Which of these embodiments, Training, or Treasure, will you use? Or you could pick Imbuement, you become a Student of the Sword due to being exposed to some magical force, etc. Maybe it was a Grant, one of the gods simply granted you sword swinging chops. Finally you could simply 'manifest' a boon, through some process that isn't covered by the other possibilities (IE a birthright or something).

GMs provide the narrative response which indicates the manifestation of a boon, but usually the players are selecting what sort of a thing it will be by how their characters act during the game.

So, yeah, once we move outside the realm of strictly talking about 4e's magic system then there are a lot more options and less constraints. Of course you could revamp 4e to work like HoML does in this respect. It probably wouldn't be THAT hard...

Quote Originally Posted by AbdulAlhazred View Post
    So, yeah, once we move outside the realm of strictly talking about 4e's magic system then there are a lot more options and less constraints. Of course you could revamp 4e to work like HoML does in this respect. It probably wouldn't be THAT hard...
    Martial Techniques, Boons and Grand Master Trainings has that angle

Right, you could in fact go entirely to where my system is without really breaking anything. You could even have advancement in level based on getting boons like I do. I was pretty tempted to just do it in 4e, but then I really wanted to fix so much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Nope. Rarity, in toto, could have been replaced by a single rule that said multiple copies of any non-ammo or consumable item dont function more than once a day.
    ...or , ya know, fix the exponential wealth curve that makes item 5+ levels lower than current essentially free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance;
    If one wanted some specific items usable once per day but which didn't impact an item use daily count why not just make those a special case. You know using the exception based architecture of 4e.
    Add those to the PHB rules and it works without depriving those who want to have a hand in outfitting their characters and without encouraging Mother May I with the DM about what equipment they get.

And Disenchant
    The ritual destroys a magic item of your level or lower, and the item can be common, uncommon, or rare. The ritual returns an amount of residuum based on the item’s rarity: 20 percent of a common item’s gold piece value, 50 percent of an uncommon item’s gold piece value, and 100 percent of a rare item’s gold piece value.
    I might change this to 50 percent all the time.

Does anyone know why the return on disenchanting was made so low originally? AND could it work as always 100%? ie wouldnt that make it easier to predict the impact of it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply