Homebrew Skill checks for faster movement? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tersival View Post
    Thoughts?
    If you allow the monsters to do this I think it is reasonable. Might change the dynamic of combat but cold work.

Just keep in mind the Haste spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tersival View Post
    I recently DM'd a session that resulted in PCs dashing to and fro around an airship looking for intruders and/or missing crewman after spectral undead attacked their vessel.

I dawned on me that the PHB (p.190-192) rules, covering moving up to a characters Speed and taking Dash actions, provide for consistent reliable movements rates but make no allowance for characters willing to push themselves at the risk of failure or some kind of disadvantage.
    Why are you using the combat movement rules? What you describe doesn’t sound like combat. The travel pace rules seem more appropriate. They let players choose a fast pace of 400 feet per minute as opposed to the 300 feet per minute PCs can normally move, in exchange for accepting a penalty to passive Perception, which seems like just the sort of thing you’re after. This would also allow the PCs to search for intruders and missing crewmen while they move about the ship as you’ve described, albeit at a penalty.

If timing is so critical that round by round resolution is required, you might want to have a look at the chase rules in the DMG. Under those rules, you can only use the Dash action a number of times equal to 3 + your CON modifier, after which you must succeed on a DC 10 CON check each additional time you take the Dash action or suffer a level of exhaustion. Personally, I set the same limit on the use of Dash in normal combat.

Instinctively I allowed Athletics or Acrobatics checks for characters to sprint or parkour their way around the vessel at faster movement rates and in the time since I have tried to devise a balanced homebrew rule I can use consistently, while wondering if anyone else already has something similar they use.
    A DEX check is called out in the rule book as modeling an attempt to move quickly, but if you’re already in turn-based resolution then you’ve asked the players for DEX checks to determine initiative. Which brings me back to the question: Who are they trying to move more quickly than?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Hriston View Post
    The travel pace rules seem more appropriate. They let players choose a fast pace of 400 feet per minute as opposed to the 300 feet per minute PCs can normally move, in exchange for accepting a penalty to passive Perception...
    TBH, I totally missed that option!

Quote Originally Posted by Hriston View Post
    If timing is so critical
    It was less about timing being *critical* and more about boosting the usefulness of Athletics/Acrobatics plus "running" not being a RAW option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hriston View Post
    that round by round resolution is required, you might want to have a look at the chase rules in the DMG. Under those rules, you can only use the Dash action a number of times equal to 3 + your CON modifier, after which you must succeed on a DC 10 CON check each additional time you take the Dash action or suffer a level of exhaustion. Personally, I set the same limit on the use of Dash in normal combat.
    Totally agree on the limit, just hadn't thought how to implement it. Chase rules limit will do nicely.

Good thoughts, thanks.

So now I'm thinking add 10' movement with -5 PP penalty at no risk of falling etc. As a middle option with the PP penalty overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ymdar View Post
    If you allow the monsters to do this I think it is reasonable. Might change the dynamic of combat but cold work.
    Totally an occasional monster option, with a side effect of throwing off rules lawyers who think they know monster speeds.

My simple rule is: If you Dash as your Action you can Dash as your Bonus Action.

It only came up once but, boy, did the PCs like it!

Ambush at range. The PCs were downhill and over moderate terrain. I had forgotten the sorcerer had just made 5th level and taken Haste (Forgetting is a good thing as it means I don't create encounters specifically designed around the PCs' abilities).

PCs trip the ambush at about 400', sorcerer casts twin Haste on the two frontline fighters, they charge the ambush and wreck face. It was fun and different.

Quick Reply Quick Reply