5E Archery Fighter level progression: Multiclass now or later?
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Archery Fighter level progression: Multiclass now or later?

    I just started a new campaign at level 5, and decided to play a Wood Elf Archery Fighter. Here's my character currently:

    Wood Elf Fighter (5) Archery Style, Battle Master, Crossbow Expert. (uses a Hand Crossbow)
    Str 10
    Dex 18
    Con 11
    Int 10
    Wis 15
    Cha 10
    (I had to roll my stats)

    Ultimately, I want to take three levels in Ranger for Dread Ambusher (the level 3 ability of the Gloom Stalker subclass from Xanathar's) and three levels in Rogue for Assassinate. I'm wondering whether this is any better than just going straight Fighter, and if so, when should I start multiclassing?

    If I stay with Fighter, I get another ASI, which I could use to get my Dex to 20 (I have 18 currently because we rolled stats), or I could take Sharpshooter. From there, I get another Superiority Dice, another ASI, and Indomitable.

    If I start into Ranger, I can get Dread Ambusher in 3 levels, which gives me an extra attack (or 2 with Action Surge) plus 1d8 of damage on the first round of each combat. It also gives me access to Hunter's Mark for an extra 1d6 damage on a hit, and Defense Style for +1 AC.

    If I start into Rogue, I get one dice of Sneak Attack Immediately, plus a skill and Perception/Stealth Expertise. Cunning Action is a bit redundant with Crossbow Expert, but Assassinate gives me advantage against any creature slower than me on the first round of combat and free crits if I surprise my enemy.

    The other thing I wonder is how can I make use of Elven Accuracy with a Hand Crossbow? Assassinate gives you advantage, but only for one round, and only against creatures slower than you (I do have very high Initiative with maxed Dex and +3 Wisdom) Are there any more reliable methods that don't require you be in melee?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Peasedown St John
    Posts
    2,455
    The Samurai feature, Fighting Spirit, is good for one round per rest (at first, at least once per battle once you hit 10th level).
    Other than that, it's mostly dependent on outside sources. If there's a Mastermind Rogue in your party, they can Bonus action Help you with one attack. Or if there's a spellcaster they could Hold your target.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    564
    I'd probably multiclass after Fighter 6. Maxing Dex is important, but I'd be nervous about having a +0 modifier in Con too. If you go Rogue 3 then Ranger 3 it will be forever until you get another ASI. I'd be tempted to go Rogue 5 next because Uncanny Dodge is great, you get the 3rd sneak damage die, and another ASI, but then it'd be forever until your entire build comes online.


    Ultimately, I'd probably end up Fighter 12, Rogue 5, Ranger 3. That'd give you 5 ASI/feats which would be Crossbow Expert, +2 Dex, Tough, Alert, and probably +1 Con and Wis

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I'd probably multiclass after Fighter 6. Maxing Dex is important, but I'd be nervous about having a +0 modifier in Con too. If you go Rogue 3 then Ranger 3 it will be forever until you get another ASI. I'd be tempted to go Rogue 5 next because Uncanny Dodge is great, you get the 3rd sneak damage die, and another ASI, but then it'd be forever until your entire build comes online.


    Ultimately, I'd probably end up Fighter 12, Rogue 5, Ranger 3. That'd give you 5 ASI/feats which would be Crossbow Expert, +2 Dex, Tough, Alert, and probably +1 Con and Wis
    That looks good, although for feats I think I'd want Sharpshooter over Tough, and Elven Accuracy over +1 Con/+1 Wis

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin O. View Post
    That looks good, although for feats I think I'd want Sharpshooter over Tough, and Elven Accuracy over +1 Con/+1 Wis

    Your hp are going to be extremely low. Good luck! lol

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin O. View Post
    Ultimately, I want to take three levels in Ranger for Dread Ambusher (the level 3 ability of the Gloom Stalker subclass from Xanathar's) and three levels in Rogue for Assassinate. I'm wondering whether this is any better than just going straight Fighter, and if so, when should I start multiclassing?
    That's tricky.

    You definitely want Extra Attack at fighter level 5.

    You want to take four, not three, levels of each new class (for the feats/ASIs).

    So I'd suggest 6 fighter levels, then 4 rogue levels, then 4 druid levels.

    If that's unacceptably slow, your group really needs a houserule - multiclassing is generally rated well, except the way you lose so much by multiclassing the old-fashioned way (alternating levels).

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
    That's tricky.

    You definitely want Extra Attack at fighter level 5.

    You want to take four, not three, levels of each new class (for the feats/ASIs).

    So I'd suggest 6 fighter levels, then 4 rogue levels, then 4 druid levels.

    If that's unacceptably slow, your group really needs a houserule - multiclassing is generally rated well, except the way you lose so much by multiclassing the old-fashioned way (alternating levels).
    I start at level 5 (and I took 5 levels in Fighter) so I already have Extra Attack. I could take one more level in fighter to be 6, and then branch out. That's not so bad.
    XP CapnZapp gave XP for this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. [5e] Archery Fighter Progression
    By HugaKobold in forum Character Builds & Optimization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Monday, 9th April, 2018, 09:24 PM
  2. Archery Character - Ranger or Fighter?
    By tylermalan in forum *Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Sunday, 5th February, 2012, 03:11 AM
  3. Multiclass Monk, and Flurry Progression question
    By Sylrae in forum *Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Tuesday, 13th July, 2010, 07:01 PM
  4. Same-Power Source Multiclass Feats; Forked from: Rogue-Fighter Multiclass Feat
    By ShaggySpellsword in forum *Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Thursday, 13th November, 2008, 03:00 AM
  5. A different good save progression for multiclass characters
    By johnsemlak in forum *Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Monday, 24th May, 2004, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •