D&D 5E Order domain cleric + diviner wizard = Mystic Theurge?

Particle_Man

Explorer
A bit of a kludge, but the Order domain from Unearthed Arcana allows one, after 6th level, when casting a 2nd or higher enchantment spell, to get a lower level spell slot back (max. 5th spell slot back). This is very similar to the Expert Divination's Wizard ability to get spell slots back when casting divination spells of 2nd or higher level.

So would a cleric of order 6/diviner wizard 6 be effectively a mystic theurge, with a huge number of spell slots coming back to them?

Also, would the character get spell slots back if they cast 2nd level or higher cleric divination spells or wizard enchantment spells?

Huge number of spell slots is pretty pointless in 5e anyway. Any level 12 caster will have more spells than they can cast in a day anyway.

IMO there are better options available for combining arcane and divine magic.

But it doesn't matter which class spell list the enchantment/divination spell is on with regards to those class abilities.

jgsugden

Legend
Huge number of spell slots is pretty pointless in 5e anyway. Any level 12 caster will have more spells than they can cast in a day anyway.
This may be true in some games, but in many games where there are 6 or more encounters per long rest, it is not true. Those extra slots could be meaningful. However, I would think that the majority of free slots you get would come from enchantments... so I'm not sure you need to multi-class to get extra slots off divinations just for that abiliy.

gyor

Legend
I think Mystic Thuege in 5e is an inheriant function of how multiclassing between subclasses works in 5e. If you multi class cleric & wizard you will have just as many spell slots and 9th level spell slots as a full wizard and cleric and with up casting you still be able to put those 9th level spells to use. Plus the clerics armour won't interfere with Wizard spell casting.

Alternatively the Divine Soul is functional a single class mystic thuerge, have the spells of both the complete sorceror and cleric spell lists to chose it's known spells from, all the way to 9th level and it's metamagic works on both of them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases