D&D 5E Need help with choices on a build.

PnPgamer

Explorer
I got bored of playing a wizard and my DM allowed me to switch characters. We're playing out of the abyss.
My new build is to be a fighter with polearm master and sentinel feats, however as Polearm master lists few weapons that the feat can be used with, im encountering a dilemma.

Should I go shield + quarterstaff or just a two-handed polearm?

The first version does get more AC, but doesn't have the reach property of the two-hander which would grant greater synergy with the sentinel feat (enemy comes to my threat, AoO, they can't move, they can't reach me anymore).
Anything else that i need to make note of? Any hands on experience of the two variations?

Thanks in advance :)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
You'll get a lot more out of Sentinel with reach. Especially stopping foes before they can engage with you. Plus your primary attack will be doing d10+STR instead of d6+STR. I find those together greater than +2 AC mechanically.

Not sure if this will apply to you or anyone at your table, but quarterstaff + shield is often considered cheesy.

CTurbo

Explorer
Yes don't be that guy and use a shield + quarterstaff in one hand + PAM.

Go for a reach weapon and just take Defensive fighting style and you get half the Shield's AC right there.

ccs

41st lv DM

Go for a reach weapon and just take Defensive fighting style and you get half the Shield's AC right there.

Adding to that, play a Warforged & take the one that has integrated armor. There's the other 1/2 of your shield bonus.

PnPgamer

Explorer
You'll get a lot more out of Sentinel with reach. Especially stopping foes before they can engage with you. Plus your primary attack will be doing d10+STR instead of d6+STR. I find those together greater than +2 AC mechanically.

Not sure if this will apply to you or anyone at your table, but quarterstaff + shield is often considered cheesy.

Its considered cheesy to have quarterstaff and a shield?

smbakeresq

Explorer
Take great weapon fighting style as a fighter of course.

I always use a halberd, mostly because I think the Chinese weapon Guan Dao looks great and is more axe like. It’s also “easier” to find as a magic weapon, any time you find a battle axe or great axe any DM will change to a halberd.

Before I take Sentinel I would take the Great Weapon Fighter feat. Sentinel value is DM dependent, he could just have intelligent monsters just avoid you, and as you go up more and more monsters have reach.

GW feat you just get more mileage out of. The bonus attack trigger happens a lot and can be exploited some by attacking low HP enemies. With a reach weapon you can use it a little more since you can reach more people. GW feat also applies to the bonus attack from pole arm feat. The weapon style of rerolling 1’s and 2’s also applies to the d4 bonus attack from PAM.

Last edited:

PnPgamer

Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the feedback,
I ended up going for polearm master and sentinel feats. Style is +1 ac. I will probably take great weapon master later as the next asi will be statboost. Gonna use halberd, one of which my gm allowez to be magical +1

Remove ads