D&D 5E [5E] Looking for Build Feedback Vengeance Paladin + Hexblade Warlock.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
[MENTION=6915561]Obliza[/MENTION]

Just FYI on calculating the damage from the extra attack due to a crit from GWM.

It's just your chance to crit with one of your 2 attacks times your normally calculated DPR for an attack. It's actually much simpler to do than it seems like at first.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
@Obliza

Just FYI on calculating the damage from the extra attack due to a crit from GWM.

It's just your chance to crit with one of your 2 attacks times your normally calculated DPR for an attack. It's actually much simpler to do than it seems like at first.

If you add that to your DPR calculations it factors in the crit attack from GWM. Usually it's worth a few points of DPR.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Modifier is +4 at level 11.
No haste, no crits.

Polearm Master is indeed in the lead for an average of 36 over GWM 34.5

Its a good point, that is why I included the higher range average armor class of 17,18 and 20 respectively for levels 11, 15, 20. Reducing a 95% chance to hit to 78% is certainly significant at level 11.

Remember also if you take PAM you choose when to take a bonus action. GWM critical hit/kill feature you do not. Having both you might have already used your bonus action for the other one.

For me it’s PAM and Sentinel or GWF and Sentinel but rarely PAM and GWM. This way you bonus and reaction open to your choice.

Lets sum up shall we
  • You should build for low levels / all levels
  • Builds should not focus around max level
  • Multiclass is overrated
  • How do you plan to roleplay that multiclass
  • Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter are overrated
  • Herp derp Hexblade
  • Roleplaying over optimization (Can't possibly have both can we?)

Noted. Please stop posting this.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I love spirit guardians and the combination with champion challenge but I've already played a pure paladin of that build.

Your build seems solid. Also quite optimized. The combination of those feats and features will net you a great reward.
This build also has a few disadvantages:
delayed extra attack, baleful curse is only good for 1 minute per short rest vs a single enemy, if your str is below 15 you will have lower armor, especially since you already forfeit a shield.
At least damage is great and vengeance paladin will give you nice mobility spells, and assuming agonizing blast and eldritch blast cantrip, your ranged attacks still do considerable damage even if you can´t close to melee.
GWM is not as strong as many believe, but you really worked to make it that strong. I hope you have fun with your build. Starting at level 5 is helping a lot. Both for getting faster through the hard levels of a multiclass build as well as roleplaying justification for such a special build. Now you can have a background story how you got there which is a lot easier.
(Our bard tried to become a warlock for a few levels in the game but rejected an implicit offer to accept a patron twice...)

Last edited:

Remove ads