Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

Sacrosanct

Legend
I can see where you’re coming from, but I disagree. No progress was ever made on human rights issues by giving someone a free pass on their problematic attitudes. Civil Rights, Women's Rights, these aren't things that just began with the modern era.

I don't think it's necessarily a free pass, but to be judged on an equitable and fair platform. For example, do you eat meat? Buy clothing from the store? Let's say 100 years from now the idea of raising living animals just to eat is abhorrent. Or that anyone who ever owned clothing made from sweatshops was a horrible person. Do you think it's fair for people 100 years from now to say you're a horrible person because you do those things now, when it's the norm and socially acceptable? Especially since maybe by today's standards, you're actually one of the more aware people who tries not to eat factory farmed meat and buy your clothes that were made in sweat shops?

Mallus

Legend
As an aside, am I the only one who sort of rolls my eyes whenever I see people accuse long dead authors of being sexists and/or racists based on modern day standards?
You're not the only one. And I say this as someone who a guy like old H.P. would have called a 'mongrel' (on a good day), me being the proud son of a white lady and a man who was both shifty-eyed Asiatic and island savage.

My experience of reading Lovecraft for the first time as an honors student back in high school was was this: "Yeah, yeah laughable racist BS. Tell me more about what's slumbering under the Elder Sign beneath drowned R'lyeh. That stuff is cool".

But that was 35 years ago, or so. I admit people today are entitled to their own reactions. A different culture breeds different readers.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alexander, Lloyd 23
Cook, Glen 20
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 20
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 19
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 11
Pratchett, Terry 21
Sanderson, Brandon 4
Wolfe, Gene 18

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Alexander, Lloyd 23
Cook, Glen 20
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 20
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 19
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 11
Pratchett, Terry 21
Sanderson, Brandon 2
Wolfe, Gene 19

edit: I gotta say, most of the remaining list is quality. Also, should Pratchett being 21??

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alexander, Lloyd 23
Cook, Glen 20
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 20
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 19
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 11
Pratchett, Terry 20
Sanderson, Brandon 2
Wolfe, Gene 19

edit: I gotta say, most of the remaining list is quality. Also, should Pratchett being 21??

Yup, my bad, focused on formatting and forgot to finish the math.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Alexander, Lloyd 23+1=24
Cook, Glen 20
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 20
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 19
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 11
Pratchett, Terry 21 - fix
Sanderson, Brandon 2-2=Out!
Wolfe, Gene 19

Perhaps in a hundred years I’ll be judged for wearing hats; who can say? But heck, even looking back just 15 years ago, there are things I’ve said and done that the person I am today would not, and feel bad about. Being a better person is a continual process, not a switch that gets flipped. To not evaluate the past (whether personal or historical) will not aid that journey.

The writers we’re talking about are not from some distant past. Lovecraft and the like may have written 100 years ago, but the feminist and civil rights movements still predate them.

I don't think it's necessarily a free pass, but to be judged on an equitable and fair platform. For example, do you eat meat? Buy clothing from the store? Let's say 100 years from now the idea of raising living animals just to eat is abhorrent. Or that anyone who ever owned clothing made from sweatshops was a horrible person. Do you think it's fair for people 100 years from now to say you're a horrible person because you do those things now, when it's the norm and socially acceptable? Especially since maybe by today's standards, you're actually one of the more aware people who tries not to eat factory farmed meat and buy your clothes that were made in sweat shops?

chrisrtld

Adventurer
Alexander, Lloyd 23
Cook, Glen 20
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 20
LeGuin, Ursula 21
Lynch, Scott 19
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 9
Pratchett, Terry 21
Wolfe, Gene 19

Dausuul

Legend
Again, I'm not saying none of these authors were sexists or racists, but how did their views compare during the time of the writing?
In the case of Lovecraft: Badly. His own contemporaries thought his views were beyond the pale.

But add me to the people who aren't seeing where the problem is with Guy Gavriel Kay. That isn't to say no problem exists - it's been a while since I read any of his books, and I'm more aware of those things now than I used to be - but I don't remember anything awful.

Remove ads