Survivor Thread: Animated Fantasy Movies--Hobbit Wins!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Inspired by all the other survivor threads, and even though this is one currently running, I had this idea and didn't want to lose it. Besides, now you get to vote twice! This is a list of the more iconic fantasy animated movies (all movies would be too big of a list). As always, vote for your favorite that inspired your D&D play!

IMPORTANT NOTE- DOWNVOTES ARE 2 IN THIS THREAD.

REPEAT- DOWNVOTES ARE TWO IN THIS THREAD.

Each movie starts with 20 points and you vote for one movie you like which gets 1 point and a movie you dislike which loses 2 points. It is intentional that a negative vote is worth more than a positive vote- first, because we don't want to be here all year. Second, because.

Upvotes are in green, downvotes are in in red (unless you are on your phone, and are unable to, in which case please indicate your votes some other way). Copy and paste the previous posters vote and change the numbers. You may vote once per day. This is an honor system, and we are all honorable gamers; please do not abuse it. If this means you vote once at night one day, and once the next morning - that's fine, but don't vote again until the following day.

This is purely a popularity contest and you do not have to explain an upvote or downvote, but feel free to- explanations are where the fun is! When downvotes reach 0 the movie is eliminated (FATALITY!). Finally, if a movie has one vote left, then you have to make the choice to use all of your downvotes to eliminate it; there is no vote splitting. In addition, you must split your vote- you can't upvote and downvote the same movie (no "see" votes). And you have to use BOTH YOUR UPVOTE AND DOWNVOTE if you vote.

Some important points that you must read before voting-
1. This is a pure popularity contest, and is meant to be fun. You can cast your votes for whatever reason you want. Spite, irrational love/hate, strategic voting, and hating all these movies because, dude, they are old ... that's fine! This vote does not affect anything in real life, and no authors will be removed from any future 6e appendix because of your vote. You can comment for the reasons for your vote, or not- up to you! But this is for enjoyment only.

Note: Akira is omitted because while iconic, it's not really heavy with fantasy elements. And I'm betting this will be a very hard thread to give downvotes too..

Flight of Dragons--20
The Last Unicorn--20
The Hobbit--20
Fellowship of the Ring--20
Return of the King--20
Black Cauldron--20
Wizards--20
Princess Mononoke--20
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind--20
Spirited Away--20
Secret of Nimh--20
How to Train Your Dragon--20
Kubo and the Two Strings--20
Howl's Moving Castle--20
Fire and Ice--20
The Dark Crystal--20
The Phantom Tollbooth--20
Tales from Earthsea--20

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Flight of Dragons--20
The Last Unicorn--20
The Hobbit--20
Return of the King--20
Black Cauldron--20
Wizards--20
Princess Mononoke--20
Spirited Away--20
Secret of Nimh--21
Howl's Moving Castle--20
Fire and Ice--20
The Dark Crystal--20
Tales from Earthsea--18

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Flight of Dragons--20
The Last Unicorn--20
The Hobbit--20
Return of the King--20
Black Cauldron--18- love the books, but this movie did not do them justice at all
Wizards--20
Princess Mononoke--20
Spirited Away--21- Instant classic
Secret of Nimh--21
Howl's Moving Castle--20
Fire and Ice--20
The Dark Crystal--20
Tales from Earthsea--18

Odin’s beard, these are some tough choices! Upvoting The Dark Crystal, as its pretty much the definition of movie magic for me. Downvoting The Phantom Tollbooth, because that’s the only one I haven’t seen.

Flight of Dragons--20
The Last Unicorn--20
The Hobbit--20
Return of the King--20
Black Cauldron--18
Wizards--20
Princess Mononoke--20
Spirited Away--21
Secret of Nimh--21
Howl's Moving Castle--20
Fire and Ice--20
The Dark Crystal--21
The Phantom Tollbooth--18
Tales from Earthsea--18

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
By “Fellowship of the Ring”, do you mean Ralph Bakshi’s The Lord of the Rings​?

Last edited:

Tallifer

Hero
No Disney fantasy? Such Sword in the Stone? And I will never forget the prince-paladin versus the black dragon-queen in Sleeping Beauty. Frozen is equally fantastic.

tglassy

Adventurer
I have a 5 year old daughter, and have seen Frozen approximately 282 times, and I'm pretty sure that's a low number. Frozen is wrought with plot holes and horrible characters who undergo absolutely no change whatsoever. From Hans' out of left field betrayal, to Kristof's non existent character arch, the whole movie is full of problems that just don't work. Sure, Elsa has somewhat of a character arch, but...not really. She's the same person the entire movie, not changing at all, until Anna makes her sacrifice. Then poof, no more fear. Yay. There's no arch, it's just a hard right angle.

I've decided, to make the movie make sense, that the Trolls were responsible for Hans' betrayal. They did sing "Get the fiancé out of the way and the whole thing will be fixed", and then Hans declares "Oh Anna, if only somebody loved you." Even the whole "You can't fall in love with someone after one day" doesn't line up, because Kristof and Anna fall in love. After one day. Good grief. Way to ruin your own movie.

Tangled was much better. All the main characters had a clear story arch. Rapunzel grew from timid to bold over an appropriate timeline for a movie, and Flynn was just an awesome character, and you could see his character change dramatically and powerfully as well. Mother Gothel was a very devious, appropriate villain (notice how when she says "I love you most", she's talking to Rapunzel's hair, not her.) Even the climactic sacrifice was powerful. Sure, Anna jumping in front of a sword to save her sister instead of allowing a supposed true love to kiss her and save her is strong, but Anna was always selfless, and that isn't a stretch for her character. She wasn't choosing to die as much as choosing to use her last moment to save her sister. The death she expected was just a side effect.

What is powerful is seeing Flynn, who has always only loved himself, realize that if he lives, the one he has come to love will be a slave forever. Rather than that, he literally chooses to die, destroying what he believes is the only hope of saving himself, because by his death Rapunzel will have no reason to be beholden to Gothel. That is powerful. Many of us would jump in front of a moving car in an attempt to save a loved one, but how many would willingly walk to the guillotine?

Sorry. Complete side track. I've seen these movies way too many times.

Remove ads