Creative low-level magic use?

redCartel

First Post
I'm about to join a low-intensity first level game (might not last more than a session or two) and I'm looking to play a thinking-outside-the-box wizard.

What are your best stories of 1st level spells being used in unusual ways to solve problems? Looking for some inspiration.

At a game I ran over the weekend, the PCs were trying to get to talk to a sage that just wanted to eat his dinner after a long day of, er, saging. From behind a shut door, he told them to come back during business hours, when the sun was up. The one player, who I think had never even played D&D before, used Minor Illusion to make an image of the sun outside his window. It was so clever and hilarious, I had to go with it.

I think illusion spells can allow for a lot of creative solutions, but you do need the kind of DM that will allow said creativity while also being good at adjudicating the results.

redCartel

First Post
If I were being a stickler, I'd want Dancing Lights for that use, but that's great. Too good not to allow it.

Yeah, obviously this is all going to assume a DM who enjoys creative play.

Sadras

Legend
I think illusion spells can allow for a lot of creative solutions, but you do need the kind of DM that will allow said creativity while also being good at adjudicating the results.

Very very true.

I had a gnome illusionist character who along with his companions visited a rather oppressive city and while the party was at the tavern, the captain of the city guard (a real piece of work) walked in with his entourage. While he was busy interrogating the innkeeper for information, and at an opportunistic moment in the dialogue, my gnome used prestidigitation to make one of the captain's nearest men appear to have farted. Well that killed the tension both in the tavern and at the table.

Perry Chalmers

First Post
I had a mage once use his message spell to bother a BBEG while the rest of the party mopped up his minions. The GM liked it so much the BBEG ended up running away and we didn't actually need to fight him.

redCartel

First Post
Right now I am also working on a gnome illusionist. His focus is a deck of playing cards, and one idea I have for him is to be able to do "close magic," card tricks near someone, while actually casting Charm Person or the like.

Volund

Explorer
Fog cloud is good if you are looking for something to do besides sleep and magic missile. Who doesn't love a fog machine? When my druid first started out she was a little shy about changing into a beast in front of others. Our wizard would cover her with a fog cloud and then she would change into a giant wolf spider and use her blindsense to creep around and attack enemies in the fog. It was cool and eerie and the DM would say "That's terrifying"- I think he had arachnophobia IRL. Another group I was in was forced to fight in an arena at our first session. My wizard cast fog cloud as the gates opened and we entered the arena while the bard played Sirius by Alan Parsons Project (the Bulls intro song) on his mandolin. I figured my light crossbow was good enough for the fight so it was worth it to blow one of my two spell slots on a grand entrance.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Any combo of Mage Hand, Minor Illusion or Prestidigitation can be hilarious. Mage hand on someone's back. Have it walk up to their shoulder and stop. Minor illusion it to look like some exotic spider, and threaten.

Prestidigitation some moving red dots on a guard. Tell them you have three mage snipers trained on them.

I once used Mould Earth to dig a grave in front of an NPC we were intimidating, I then started swirling the loose earth around his feet, then his ankles, then his.....He talked.

As others have said. If your DM rewards it, good times. Hope you get to have fun.

Horwath

Legend
Prestidigitation and minor illusion are your best friend.

You are too hot in desert, cool your clothes with Prestidigitation

You are too cold in winter, warm your clothes with Prestidigitation

Need to start a fire? Prestidigitation

Need to clean yourself from blood ASAP from that guard that you just killed? Prestidigitation

Need to make your 2CP lunch taste like 2 GP so you can actually eat it? Prestidigitation

Need instant hiding place? Minor illusion a rock or a bush and stand in it.

Need to cover an open pit trap so your pursuers fall into it? Minor illusion.

Need concealment from ranged fire? Minor illusion.

Remove ads