D&D 5E What DM flaw has caused you to actually leave a game?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I always ask myself "Would I have agreed to play the campaign if these rules were disclosed at the beginning?" and let that answer drive my reaction.
To add to this: if something changes that you don't like, one option is to stay in and see if lobbying to get it changed back gets anywhere.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You get experience in D&D by killing things.
Not quite.

You get experience in D&D by defeating things. "Defeat" doesn't always have to mean that the foe dies, and can't at all when what's being defeated is a trap or a riddle or some other environmental challenge.

It's in the rules, so I learned it..............in the rules. Without killing and being intimately familiar with killing and people trying to kill them.
Might want to go back and give those rules another look...

And before you go on about how NPCs in 5e don't need stats and levels, a champion who has to fight does. They need everything a PC needs for combat, since a PC may end up fighting him.
Completely agree with this.

5ekyu

Hero
Did you miss the bit where it says "meting it out". That = "doing it themselves". [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] didn't comment on that either, but just engaged in some special pleading to distinguish this stuff from clerics.
Nope... Acquainted with meting it out is not the same as doing it. It can mean been around it being meted out... "Acquainted with" is the ket part there that can go either way.

I can be very acquainted with the aftermath of losing someone from helping others thru it, even if i never had it happen.

I can be very well acquainted with lots of things i do not myself do.

5ekyu

Hero
Are there a large number of RPG players who want to play clerics of anti-undead gods with trains of undead followers? Why - what's the point? It's not something I've ever come across - is it a big thing?
No, not likely a big thing but also not a lot in my ecperience who want or expect their bears and trexs to be town friendly either.

5ekyu

Hero
I did comment on it. Here was the response. "Context is important. The listed examples are all very experienced, and you don't get to be a conquering overlord, royal champion, hardened merc, etc., without killing and defending your life." It very specifically mentions that you don't get to be one of those things without killing.
Exactly, some of the concepts would likely have required killing, but not necessarily a new fighter early in his career.

I think its clear that some of the concepts presented in the fluff are examples of more seasoned example of the class, where it can go, not necessarily where they all start.

5ekyu

Hero
I always ask myself "Would I have agreed to play the campaign if these rules were disclosed at the beginning?" and let that answer drive my reaction.
My general rule for every game i run is the rules at the beginning will be the rules at the end. Beginning can be defined fluid thru level 4, but tier 2 lock it down.

Rulings will be made as needed.

But new rules, new published products, etc **all** must pass a unanimous vote.

Nagol

Unimportant
To add to this: if something changes that you don't like, one option is to stay in and see if lobbying to get it changed back gets anywhere.

Yeah, I tried that a few times. I find it is less disruptive and more enjoyable for everyone to quietly withdraw if the rules I wouldn't have agreed to remain after I make a pitch.

5ekyu

Hero
In your cleric example, the player is forcing the situation into the foreground. Backgrounding is more a "I won't ask; you won't tell" situation. Both sides agree that the a particular thing is just going to bump along in a satisfactory way without spending table time at it. If the player breaks the agreement then the GM needs to respond.

There is no loss of consistency from backgrounding any element just as there is no gain in consistency from forcibly including elements a game implicitly backgrounds -- such as daily ablutions and use of the toilet.

If you as a DM feel that you are just going to make the player jump through (almost) the same hoops every time the druid and T-Rex go to town but the town will relent and allow the obviously well-behaved, trained, and possibly magically controlled animal in, you might as well Background that hoop-jumping. The player asking for the Background is essentially asking "This thing is boring. I know what is required to move forward. You know I know that. Can we skip the time sink or do you want to watch me continually do this rather boring thing each and every time it comes up?"
And we wind up with towns choked with trexs cuz nobody has to bother with checking their trex at the gate anymore? No thx.

Also, the bigger key is this, **if you pick a trex** over a more town friendly large dog **and then** you ask me to background thectrex in town issue **but** you are perfectly fine using the trex combat edges over the large dog when fights break out - in or out of town - then tell me how that is different from backdooring my god hates undead and walking around with undead?

In both cases you made a choice that had good and bad options and you wsnt to backdoor around the bad but keep the good ones.

If i can backdoor my way around people noticing and taking bad reaction to my trex on main street and thats fine, why cant i bavkdoor my way around Cuthbert hates undead and would react badly to my train of bone fodder?

Aldarc

Legend
And we wind up with towns choked with trexs cuz nobody has to bother with checking their trex at the gate anymore? No thx.

If i can backdoor my way around people noticing and taking bad reaction to my trex on main street and thats fine, why cant i bavkdoor my way around Cuthbert hates undead and would react badly to my train of bone fodder?
And do we also wind up with message boards choked with hyperbolic unrealistic examples like these? No thx.

Remove ads