The Unusual Heroes: Journal Of A Half-Drow

Ziona

First Post
This thread is the continuation of The Unusual Heroes story hour, originally posted by Xaltar. Recently, WeeJas has taken over the helm of DM, letting Xaltar become a player in Forgotten Realms. Xaltar is still finishing his thread, however, so be sure to check it out to see how it leads up to this new thread. This first post is a journal entry, but the next part of the story will be posted in 3rd person. --Ziona

Six-day of Kythorn

The many changes in my young life have prompted me to begin keeping this journal. My companions and I have recently arrived back in Cormyr after defeating a band of trolls in The Storm Horn Mountains. It was upon our return that the mage Noristuor appeared magically to us with disturbing news.

Noristuor advised me to gather the party quickly, for there was trouble back in Ashabenford involving my parents. I felt instantly sickened by his worried tone, but rushed to do as I was told. Rossal helped me inform the party that there was trouble, and before long, Noristuor has us whisked back to Ashabenford using a teleport spell.

Once at Noristuor's home, he began to explain the dire situation surrounding my parents. Horrified by the news, I said a silent prayer to The Dark Maiden to keep my parents safe. Our party, with Noristuor's wisdom, devised a plan. This plan involved a splitting of our party members, which was a great disappointment to me. We have worked well together through many battles, but I realized what we were doing was right.

It was decided that Drexel and Spiderfang accompany my Mother to Thay, and that the remaining group serve as a rescue team for my Father.

Never have I felt ashamed of my heritage. Eilistraee has taught me always to promote harmony between the races. Being half-drow has never been easy, but I have never felt such contempt or anger towards a race as I felt when Noristuor explained the danger that the Drow have placed my parents, (and now my companions) in.

Noristuor explained that my Mother had had a sort of curse placed upon her by the Drow. The only remedy is an antidote found in Thay. Without this antidote, my Mother will become a wretched Drider! I remember the stories my Father told me of the wicked Driders. They are an abomination, an evil punishment for those who anger the Drow patron, Lloth. I know this is not a fate my dear Mother deserves, nor any creature deserves. I also know that my Mother is in good hands with Drexel and Spiderfang. They are strong and wise and will see that my Mother gets to Thay in time before her condition worsens.

My Father is in great danger as well, and there is no antidote for his situation. Even as I write these words I fear what evil his Drow captors may be unleashing upon him in the Underdark. I cannot understand how they discovered he was still alive. I have begun to wonder if I have drawn negative attention to my parents with stories of a Half-Drow cleric traveling with an adventuring party circulating about.

Noristuor has also recruited two adventurers to accompany us into the Underdark. One is a very handsome human sorcerer named Solstar. He seems capable, if not overly confident. The other is a ranger named Aarack. He has a great hatred for Drow, and has already passed judgment on me, and no doubt my parents. I have tried to explain to him about my family, but he gives me a disgusted look each time I speak.

What he does not understand is that nearly twenty years ago my Father, Zellian, was supposed to partake in a surface raid. A tenday before the raid, he left his raiding party and fled to the surface to warn the people of Ashabenford. His Drow companions knew of his intentions, however, and viciously attacked him just outside Ashabenford. Being mortally wounded, they tied him to a tree and left him to die as the sun began to rise.

Fortunately for my Father, the Drow unknowingly left him a short way from a farmhouse. Megara, the woman who lived on the farm, found my Father tied to the tree, nearly dead. She bound his wounds and dragged him to her farm, for there was quite a bounty to be had for bringing a living Drow to justice. However, as the days passed and Zellian revived, Megara began to learn the truth. She informed the town of the coming raid, and although my Father had come to save them, they wanted him dead. My Mother refused to see such an action taken on someone who had risked their life to save them all. As a result, she was ostracized by the town for harboring a Drow, even though together she and Zellian had prepared the town and thwarted the raid.

An odd coupling, my parents were never officially married. Their love was as true a love as any however, and they welcomed their only child into the world during The Time of Flowers.

Here it is, nearly my nineteenth year and I am fearing for the safety of my parents instead of celebrating with them. The Time of Flowers and my day of birth will mean nothing in the Underdark. The only celebration I welcome will be reuniting with my family in the safety of our home on the surface. I pray that Eilistraee keep my parents and companions safe on our journeys until that day arrives.

-Ziona

MORE TO COME...

Ziona

First Post
Six-day of Kythorn

After explaining the danger that Zellian and Megara were in, Noristuor recommended the party purchase certain supplies that they would need to survive in the Underdark. Varr, Solstar, and Aarack were sent to purchase the items.

Ziona and Megara hugged each other farewell, both feeling worry for the other, and for the kidnapped Zellian.

"I know you have been on perilous adventures before, daughter," began Megara, "but never have you experienced the horrors of the Underdark. Keep close the stories your Father has told you. I pray Eilistraee bring you both back safely."

Ziona listened to her mother's words with a sad smile on her face.

"Know that I will do everything I possibly can to bring Father back unharmed. I travel with the bravest of heroes and Eilistraee's blessings."

The mother and daughter shared a final hug before Megara turned to Drexel, who helped her onto her horse. Before leaving, Spiderfang vowed to Ziona that he would keep her mother safe, while Drexel assured Ziona that there was no need to worry about Megara. Ziona knew her mother would be safe with them, and watched them depart until they were no longer in sight.

As Ziona turned to rejoin the party, there stood Doc with his hands behind his back.

"Hullo, Ziona," he said a bit sheepishly. "I know how worried you are about your parents, so I picked these for you to ease your pain."

From behind his back Doc pulled forth a bouquet of wildflowers, and Ziona's sad smile brightened a little.

"That's very kind of you, Doc. Thank you for thinking of me. They're beautiful."

Enthused by Ziona's acceptance of the wildflowers, Doc decided to try his luck a bit further.

"Well, you’re welcome. You know, Ziona, I was wondering if you would like to accompany me to dinner before we depart."

Ziona, surprised by the request, and thinking of the mission at hand replied, "I'm not sure there is time for such luxuries right now, Doc."

Doc could see the sadness creep back into her face.

"Well, Varr and the new adventurers have already gone to purchase the equipment we need, and they said they were going to get some ale afterward, so I thought there would be time."

"Well," Ziona began, "I suppose it would give us a chance to discuss tactics, and we can look over my Father's map."

Ziona pulled a map from the scroll case she kept in her pack, and in doing so, awakened Rossal.

"My mother gave it to me," she explained. It showed many odd shapes and symbols, none of which looked familiar to Doc.

"Shall we go?" he asked.

Taking a final look in the direction her Mother and companions went, Ziona turned to Doc with Rossal on her shoulder.

"Let's be off."

A short while later the party regrouped in Noristuor's home. Ziona was eager to show him the map, and the two stooped over a table studying it while Rossal slumbered on his bed of gems.

In an adjacent room stood Solstar and Aarack.

"You seem especially tense and moody tonight," remarked Solstar.

"In case you haven't noticed, Solstar, we are about to travel with a half-drow bastard! I would have refused to travel with such a creature if not for the opportunity to kill drow in the Underdark," snapped Aarack.

"She is a cleric of a deity who is known for promoting kindness and racial harmony," Solstar noted.

"A Drow deity no less! I shall die a bloody death before I let her lay a finger upon me."

Solstar decided it was not worth the effort to push the issue. Why let worry mar his handsome complexion when there was nothing he could do to change Aarack's mind?

Meanwhile, in the dining area of Noristuor's home were Varr and Doc. Spread upon the table were various potions and items they had purchased and collected throughout their adventures. They were trying to separate the items to decide who should carry what in the Underdark.

"So how did your romantic feast with the half-drow turn out?" asked Varr.

"Well, it was a fine meal," replied Doc. "I even paid extra gold to see that it was clean and lighted by candles. But, Ziona hardly noticed my efforts. She barely ate her food, and spent the entire time recalling stories her father had told her of his life in the Underdark."

"That's too bad," remarked Varr, who was clunking about in his armor.

"And although I think Rossal is the cutest lil' puddin' head I've seen, I wish she hadn't brought him with us. He made a sort of growling noise every time I tried to reach for Ziona's hand...not that she noticed anyhow."

"The potions and gear we have are all here. We should gather everyone to divide the goods."

Doc sighed.
"You don't think Ziona has eyes for the new sorcerer in our group, do you?"

"Eh? How should I know?" huffed Varr. "Personally, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I like short bearded women myself."

"Awh, forget it," sighed Doc. The two walked into the room where Noristuor and Ziona were viewing the map. Noristuor turned when he heard the clang! clang! clang! of Varr's footfalls, which woke Rossal from his slumber.

"You are far to loud to be journeying into the Underdark, Dwarf!"

"Is there a way to silence him?" questioned Rossal in Ziona's ears.

"Perhaps if you had different armor, Varr?" asked Ziona.

"Varr does not leave behind his plate mail," he grumbled.

Doc, seeing a chance to please Ziona, offered his Boots of Elvenkind to Varr to use on the adventure. It took some prodding but they finally persuaded Varr to wear the boots. The party also divided the newly purchased supplies, and items they collected along the way, and were soon ready to depart.

Noristuor accompanied the adventurers to the cave they had to enter according to Zellian's map. He wished them well in his own grumpy manner and was off.

Solstar took a moment to recite the spidery words of a sorcerer's spell and cast Darkvision on those who needed it. Since Varr was Dwarven and Aarack was an Earth Genasi, they had no need for the spell.

Ziona took some time to cast Continual Light on selected items so that each party member would have a constant light source should they need it. Aarack refused assistance from Ziona, however, which left her momentarily angry.

Having prepared as much as they could, the party began their descent into the deep, evil world of The Underdark.

MORE TO COME...

madriel

First Post
What's the Time of Flowers? I should remember but it's not coming to me.

Glad to see the Unusual Heroes in any incarnation.

Ziona

First Post
madriel said:
What's the Time of Flowers? I should remember but it's not coming to me.

Glad to see the Unusual Heroes in any incarnation.

The Time of Flowers is Spring time in Forgotten Realms.
(page 77 in the Forgotten Realms hand book if you have it.)

I have another update to finish last week's session, (which i'll post tomorrow) and then I have today's session. Stick around & check back. Great stuff coming up! Thanks for the support! :D

madriel

First Post
Ziona said:

The Time of Flowers is Spring time in Forgotten Realms.
(page 77 in the Forgotten Realms hand book if you have it.)

I have another update to finish last week's session, (which i'll post tomorrow) and then I have today's session. Stick around & check back. Great stuff coming up! Thanks for the support! :D

Thanks. I don't have the hand book since our only FR campaign lasted 6 or 7 sessions before the DM discovered Evercrack. He bought the hand book just a week before he abandoned DMing so we only got a brief overview of the FR setting. Our other campaigns have all been either GH or SL.

Looking forward to the next installment.:)

Ziona

First Post
The heroes traveled in the quiet darkness for quite sometime. They hardly noticed the ground sloping downward as they went. As they continued their descent deeper underground, Ziona and Rossal, (who were bringing up the rear), were attacked.

The creature, a large cat-like beast with tentacles, was after the Psudodragon. Rossal, being an agile creature, easily dodged the monsters attacks.

Doc and Aarack were the first two to attack the creature known as a Displacer Beast. Doc managed to score a hit on the monster, but Aarack swung his sword and missed. It seemed that Beast moved quickly into another position before his sword could hit.

Solstar's silky words erupted in a Charm Monster spell. The Displacer Beast seemed to consider Solstar a friend, but continued it's attacks on the others. It reached out to attack Doc, but missed.

Aarack attempted another attack, but the image of the beast continued to blur and shift out of his reach. Doc, Ziona, and even Rossal were having the same trouble.

Varr, his short legs and heavy armor keeping him from running into the melee faster, cursed at the monster in Dwarven.

Finally, after the beast was surrounded, Aarack delivered the final, crushing blow. Varr could be heard grumbling as he arrived too late to join the fight.

The companions dusted themselves off after the attack and continued on. Upon entering the next room, they found themselves surrounded by Drow and Kobolds. Instantly the party was engulfed by Darkness.

Varr reacted immediately, still fuming from missing out on the last battle. He attacked the Drow that was directly in front of him before the darkness came. He felt thrilled when Frostbite, his trusty axe, cut into his foe.

Rossal blindly attacked the Drow that was near him, but his poisonous tail found no purchase.

Ziona, calling upon her Divine powers, cast Daylight just then, and negated the blinding Darkness. From there, the melee continued on a more even playing field, allowing Doc, Aarack, and Varr to hack away at their enemies, while Solstar magically attacked.

Suddenly, a ball of acid fell in the vicinity of the party, dealing some minor damage to several of the heroes. However, Solstar singled out the wizard of the group, and attempted a Polymorph Other spell on the magic-using Drow, without success.

Darkness fell over the party again, causing Rossal and Aarack to miss their targets. Aarack was not satisfied with the swipe, however, and swung a second time, killing his opponent with his Drow Bane sword.

Varr continued his vicious attacks, despite his blindness in the magical darkness. He heard the cry of death in the foe he struck, and continued to cleave...right into Aarack! Aarack let out an angry wail as he felt the axe chop into him, but did not altogether realize it was his ally who was trying to cut him down like a tree.

Ziona spoke the whispery words of her divine spell and cast Moonblade allowing her to see a very short distance in front of her. She swung and hit the female Drow blocking her way, and understood the Underdark words for "traitor" and "excrement" as the enemies dying words spat out.

Doc, Aarack, and Varr continued attacking in the midst of the Darkness spell. Solstar felt the wall and decided to follow it until he reached the normal blackness of the Underdark, but he ran into Doc first.

Although separated for the most part, each party member could hear the poisonous crossbow bolts being fired in waves.

Varr, feeling the presence of a foe in his area attacked, and cut into Aarack for a second time! Aarack, this time recognizing Varr by the sound of his armor and the sheer force of his blows, cried out again, shouting angrily at Varr. But Varr, raging like the angry Barbarian he is, continued to hack at the enemy...in this case, Aarack.

Finally the heroes made their way out of the blackness and regrouped. Ziona saw Aarack sliced and bloodied and rushed to his aid.

"Don't touch me," he spat.

"Don't be foolish. You're badly hurt." Ziona felt the same hatred in Aarack's tone as the female Drow had shown her before she died.

"Only because of your imbecile friend, the Dwarf! He hit me at least four times, thinking me a filthy Drow!"

Varr, wiping away the froth that was pouring into his beard, just shrugged. The others looked on, shocked by Aarack's disgust. Ziona sighed.

"At least allow me to use my wand to heal your wounds. You will surely die here in the Underdark if you sustain further injury without being healed," she protested.

Aarack turned his back on her smugly.

"Now listen here," Doc started. "Ziona is far removed from the vermin that crawls throughout the Underdark. She is not evil, she is a lady, and I will not allow you to treat her so horribly. If you plan to carry on with us, you'll have to be healed."

Aarack turned and faced Ziona.

"I will not accept healing from your Drow Goddess. If this wand is in any way connected with your deity, I'll have nothing to do with it."

"It does not..." Ziona quietly replied.

"Fine. Do it and let's carry on," Aarack snapped.

Ziona took a deep breath, controlling her anger and confusion. She knew this could be the first step towards mending whatever pain Aarack had suffered from the hands of a Drow. She used the wand to heal his wounds, and turned to put the wand in her pack when Aarack threw two gold at her feet.

"I'll NOT accept payment!" she boomed.

"I'll not accept your charity, Drow."

Ziona's grayish skin burned red at the insult.

"Keep your gold, Ranger. I am a Priestess through the blessing of my Goddess, charged with the mission of promoting harmony and peace between the races. If you judge me without understanding me, so be it, but I'll not be insulted by your ignorance!"

With that, Ziona turned to the rest of her companions to see who needed healing, leaving the gold on the floor of the cavern.

Once the awkwardness of the situation had passed, Solstar asked Ziona about her father's map. She took it from her pack and Doc joined them in studying it. They decided it would be best to backtrack and head down a side passage to rest.

When they arrived at an area they thought was more safe than the main corridor, they decided upon watches. It went without saying that Ziona and Aarack would not share a watch. After the watch order was decided, the parts of the group slept while the watches began.

Later, during Aarack's watch, a handful of Drow happened upon the party. Aarack awakened the party, and Solstar, being the first one up and having rested well, cast Fireball on the attacking drow. He smiled, showing off his glimmering white teeth, and took his place for the next watch.

Hours later, the watches were over, and the party continued to travel deeper into the Underdark. By this time, Solstar had to cast Darkvision again, and after a few silky sounding words, the heroes could see in the dark again.

After a short while of traveling, the companions began hearing an odd sort of clicking noise. As they rounded the corner, they came to see two large, beetle-looking beasts hovering over a woman.

Ziona recognized the monsters as Hook Horrors. Aarack, also recognizing their enemy, shouted to the party to attack near the neck of the beasts.

As the party attacked one Hook Horror, Solstar polymorphed the other into a snail and put it in his pocket for future use. Having quickly disposed of the enemies, Doc and Ziona approached the woman.

Doc, reaching out and smiling, helped the woman up.

"I'm Cleo," she said in a breathy voice.

"Greeting, Milady," Doc bowed. "I am Doc Midnight, here to aid you if I may. Are you okay? Do you need assistance?"

"She's fine," interrupted Aarack. "If she wasn't hurt by Hook Horrors, and she's running about the Underdark alone, then she's fine."

Doc, ignoring Aarack's comments asked, "Do you have a weapon to protect yourself with, Milady?"

"How did you come to this place?" asked Solstar.

Cleo turned, and upon seeing the dashingly handsome face of Solstar began walking away from Doc.

"Oh, I...I was taken prisoner by the awful Drow," she pouted.

"Did the Drow have any other prisoners?" asked Ziona, interested in news of her father.

Cleo saw Ziona and took a step back.

"It's okay," said Doc, working his way back to Cleo. "Ziona is only Half-Drow. She's on our side."

"Yes, but who’s side is Cleo on,” questioned Aarack.

“You do not trust me?”

“There are few I do trust,” Aarack said, shooting a look at Ziona.

“Was there a male Drow among the other prisoners, Cleo?” questioned Ziona.

“Oh yes. The lame Drow. He tried to tell me they were taking us into their city, but they whipped him for speaking to me. He seemed different from the others somehow,” replied Cleo.

“How did you manage to escape?” asked Solstar.
“Yes, how did you escape?” asked Doc, grasping her hand and turning her from Solstar.

Solstar, suspecting Cleo of something tried casting Charm Monster on her. She spun around angrily to face him, cheeks burning red.

“Why do you cast upon me?” she shouted.
Ziona stepped between the two and came up with a fib.
“He was only trying to cast an armor spell on you for your protection. He has done the same for others.”

“Well, he should have asked my permission first,” snapped Cleo.
“Yes, you should always ask a Lady’s permission first,” replied Doc.

Ziona turned to face Doc with a surprised look upon her face. Doc hardly noticed, his eyes following Cleo.

Doc pulled Cleo aside and gave her some armor to wear, and his finely crafted dagger that Ziona had cast Continual Flame on. Solstar, not trusting Cleo anymore than the rest of the party, (with the exception of Doc), offered to make her invisible so she could go back to the surface without being seen.

“Oh, that’s okay. I’d rather stay here with all of you…” she replied, her gaze lingering on Doc.

So it was decided that Cleo would travel with the group, though no one (except Doc) was very happy about it.

MORE TO COME…

Xaltar

First Post
Hey,

I only tried to charm her so I could send her home safely. I have a 22 Charisma (with a cloak of +2 CHR), the ALLURING feat, and GREATER SPELL FOCUS (Enchantment). I started to have a really bad feeling when I failed at such a simple task.

- Solstar

Remove ads